good day for us

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Buckshot and I hit the creeks again and had a good 4 hour hunt, lots of flakes, points within inches of each other, and my first serrated point, and it's whole!(pretty much), got a small serrated broken one, as well as the narrowest point for me yet.Here's a group pic, some insitus, and the last one is my finds. I'm not sure, but I think my big fat serrated one has a ground base(?), anyway, we had fun!

naturegirl

Attachments

• group pic mem day.jpg
    group pic mem day.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 538
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 535
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

NG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are beautiful. That two toned one is gorgeous!

:hello2: :notworthy: :hello2:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all have been doing great here lately :o . Good Gawd--that serrated point is loverly! :D . Are you seeing many snakes?
Keep going and you'll have a big frame full of artifacts in no time, Lisa :thumbsup: .

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks peachy! It's Kay county chert again. This time the pink leaf wasn't a leaf, :laughing9:

Yep, Carmon, I'm about ready for a frame I think :hello2: And absolutly no snakes! But Tommy told me I better wear rubber boots from here on out, they are seeing big rattlers on the hunting lease. I haven't seen anything but roadkill.

Thanks for the replys!

F

Felinepeachy

I would rather worry about the occasional snake than to fret constantly over the ticks! :tard:

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
great finds :icon_thumright: That serrated point is absolutely gorgeous!!! Hope you find many more in your future hunts.

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey NG, It was a windy day but worth the time. That serrated point is a very nice find!!!
I included a closerup of my findings. Had a blast! Thanks
buckshot

Attachments

• Oco.JPG
    Oco.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 444
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks everyone, I've been fortunate this last month, for sure. Plenty of tick bites too!

Tret, it takes time to find good spots, this has just been a good spell for me, I'll get skunked soon!

I'm still trying to figure out what the big serrated one is, I thought it was distinct enough in it's features to figure it out. I have some ideas, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at one that hasn't been resharpened much, or one that has been resharpened to the point of changing it's shape. :dontknow: does anyone know what it is?

ng

Bagman13

Apr 9, 2009
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......man, that big one is a heck of a nice point :icon_thumright:

J

JoshnMO

Love that big serrated point. I almost stepped on a cottonmouth while back and months before almost stepped on a copperhead. Got a bad habit of looking for points. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks creek, bagman and Josh. I try to keep my eyes open for snakes as well as points, but sometimes I'll step on a long stick that makes the stick move in front of me, and I jump thinking it's a snake. then I realize I wasn't looking for snakes at all!

I've looked at all my books, no easy match. It seems to me that there are two really different types of flaking on the big one. the flaking in the center seems to be very random, and the edges very ordered. It is whole, the shoulders are made like that, I thought the one barb was broken, it's not. If it's been re-worked the barbs could have been longer at one time. :dontknow:

thanks for looking!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
thanks krisrock and ohio, buckshot said archaic, i was hoping. so now, maybe darl stemmed? it seems to have characteristics of both darl and darl stemmed.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa--in the book by Ken Owens, there is a point that looks similar to yours. Its a "Johnson", Ouote from book: "it is a medium to large spearpoint that has shoulders that are rounded to slightly barbed....the stem is broad, flaking is large random flakes, with minor retouching around blade and stem. Distribution found in the four-state area(Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana). Perino said undetermined age but would probably fall into the Archaic period. Johnson point favors the Benton point."
Still looking through some of the other books but this is the closest I've come to yours yet. I don't know if that type of point is found in our part of the state, though :dontknow: .

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh thank you Carmon! Johnson was on my list, so is marshall. I've been busy, and can't just really gather all the info up yet, but Johnson was up there for sure. Never heard of it before, have you? does your grandfather's frames have one?

thanks for taking the time to look it up, I appreciate it!

lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread