good day for us

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Buckshot and I hit the creeks again and had a good 4 hour hunt, lots of flakes, points within inches of each other, and my first serrated point, and it's whole!(pretty much), got a small serrated broken one, as well as the narrowest point for me yet.Here's a group pic, some insitus, and the last one is my finds. I'm not sure, but I think my big fat serrated one has a ground base(?), anyway, we had fun!

naturegirl

Attachments

• group pic mem day.jpg
    group pic mem day.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 538
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 535
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Oh thank you Carmon! Johnson was on my list, so is marshall. I've been busy, and can't just really gather all the info up yet, but Johnson was up there for sure. Never heard of it before, have you? does your grandfather's frames have one?

thanks for taking the time to look it up, I appreciate it!

lisa
Funny you should ask about grandpa's frames--the first thing I did after seeing your point, was go pull those frames out and see if there was one like it on there. It looks like maybe there are a couple similar to yours. Do you want me to take some pics of those? so you can compare?
I think that point you found is so beautiful---and all those serrations and flaking look fantastic from the pics. Is the base thinned? It looks like it is in the picture.
You and buckshot did really good! I'm happy for ya!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
;D Your Grandfather's frames are my benchmark! But I don't want you to go to the trouble of taking some out and photographing them!, Unless it'll help you Id his :wink: I think the base is thinned, and ground. I'm embaressed about my lack of knowledge here. but I've learned, until you can actually hold them in your hand and look them over really well, it's hard say what the pictures show. and I still have so few, but I'm gaining! I have to go grill chicken now, and do chores. :hello:

lisa

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: great find! Absolutely Beautiful! I bet you were about to hyper-ventilate when you saw that laying there!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks 1320, and bg99. I was shaking a little trying to take the picture :laughing9: And I really think sandcreek is right on the id, it's a 'johnson'.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice finds! Honestly, I'm not sure that's a Johnson though. Johnson typically aren't that well barbed and the flaking is nothing like a Johnson (or serrations).

I'm really not sure what it is. I do think it's earlier than a Johnson point though. If I found just the blade portion of that piece I would assume that it's Rice related, all the way. That base sure is an oddity though.

I'll tell you a story that is sorta-kinda related to this. A few years back a friend from MO came by and I was showing him how to knap. I've been knapping for 25-30 years and would like to think of myself as a somewhat accomplished knapper. I can generally make what I set out to make ("generally" being the key word here).

My Missouri friend collects Hardins and asked me to make him one. So, I set out to do what. Well..that was the intention, but not exactly how it turned out. Somehow I ended up making the base out of whack, looked NOTHING like a Hardin, but it sure did resemble a Benton. That "Hardin" sure didn't turn out that way though! I'm sure the aboriginal knappers had the same thing happen to them all of the time. Even if they had a blueprint in their head...it just doesn't always turn out that way.

Yours could be a similar case, I don't know. I honestly don't have any name that pops into my head for it, but I do believe it's early to mid Archaic. I would love to see it in person sometime, it's sure a killer piece!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the info Matt, I would think 'misfires' happened all the time. This name-that-point game is just a modern compulsion?
I would love for you to see it in person too, buckshot and I keep planning a visit to the museum some day when it's too hot or cold to do anything else, and I'll bring it.

thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread