Good Weekend At The Sales

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this weekend looking for some jewelry or watches. I did find a pair of 14k earrings for 9.5 grams, so I'm not complaining. What I did find, may go down on my list of all time greats. Anyone who has followed my posts knows that I collect antique engravings. I found three beautiful botanicals for a dollar each.
DSCN0739.JPG
The two upper ones are by Sydney Edwards and published respectively in 1790 and 1810. The real find is the one on the bottom, published by Von Houtteano (ca.1850) and is fairly rare. The kicker is that it is an obvious trial proof. These are so rare as to be considered almost one-offs. Needless to say I'm thrilled.

The above were great finds, but the find that is making my month, is that , at the same sale I found the engravings; I also found this: DSCN0737.JPG .

This is an original oil on canvas by Julius Stockfleth. Look him up online and you can see why I'm so excited. His most recent piece at auction went for $26,000 or there abouts. I have an aquaintance who just happens to be a local expert on Stockfleth and will authenticate it for me this week. I'm not sure if I have any more clean underwear left.

Last edited:

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, Capt! Wow, I hope that it's truly an original!! That's an amazing find, I hope you make a bundle on it. Please let us know what the results are, and good luck auctioning it!!!

OP
OP
C

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definately an original oil on canvas and has a lot of age, the question on whether it's a work of Stockfleth's is the real question. The fact that he didn't sign about a third or more of his paintings is a problem. The fellow I know is an expert on Stockfleth, and can clear up the matter quickly. The indications are very good though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, the friend of mine I need to confer with, is out for the week assessing an estate. I hate deferred gratification. Believe it or not, I am weak on art also. However, I live in Texas, and there are a number of well known local artists who were quite prolific and have many unknown works out there. I spent the last several years studying their work in my spare time in the hopes that I might stumble upon one. Stockfleth is one of those. Also there is Robert woods, Amado Pena, and Micheal Ibarra. So there are several styles and themes I have burned into my brain. I've figured that as long as I didn't spend much for the painting, and I also liked the painting, I could buy a lot of them and needed only one to make it worthwhile. The real problem lies in that sometimes, like with this painting, I like the work so much I almost hope that it isn't a special work and I can keep it.

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! That is a great find. Also looks like a really nice painting. Congrats!

OP
OP
C

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I really hate to make this post. Embarassed actually. My painting did not turn out to be a Stockfleth. Details in the manufacture of the stretcher are techniques only used in the last 120 years or so, and there is no indication at all of the stretcher having been replaced at some point. All of that being said, my friend did like the painting quite a bit, and will be happy to place it in his upcoming auction. Age estimate on the painting are somewhere between 80 to 100 years old. After comparing it to several other paintings of the scene, we both agree that it is a picture of Galveston harbor on a summer morning looking towards Pelican Island. I have a lot of dissapointment that it is not by Stockfleth, but as I mentioned earlier, I very much like the painting and now have to decide whether to keep it or auction it. Estimated value is somewhere in the low four figures. All in all it was a great buy for $12. If I add the two Curtis botanicals and the Horto Van Houteanno lithograph for $3 more it still ranks as one of my best buys.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I can make four figures off a $12 deal, I call it a success.
Five figures would have been a tremendous success! :laughing7:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice finds. You never know what you're going to come across...

I'm not into art very much (you'd never guess this from my walls, though), but i do like the botanicals.

Again, nice finds.

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions