Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

chriseneim

May 5, 2013

Attachments

• image-3370391632.jpg
    image-3370391632.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are so knowledgeable, resourceful and helpful. Thank you for what you do here!

It amazes me to think about my family's 82 acers being volcanic at one time... or very nearby.

Can I assume the inside color of flint by the outside or do I need to break it open? I found so many different colors today. That one just happened to be open already.

If I remember correctly, one flint had pyrite inside of it.

I will probably post more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again!

OO i wana see one if its got pyrite in it! yumm..lol ya all should be of similar color unless you have an glacial flow .. then they all could be of a different color!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha sorry that photo was wet this is what it looks like dry. ? Now you see that glow ha

still seeing alot of sulphur (sulfides maybe) and pyrite iron some copper... pretty rock... not sure itll yield alot tho. I would definately Crush it super fine and Aqua Regia it .. bugger i need to write that up and post it.. ugg soooo little time to do so tho!

chriseneim

May 5, 2013
still seeing alot of sulphur (sulfides maybe) and pyrite iron some copper... pretty rock... not sure itll yield alot tho. I would definately Crush it super fine and Aqua Regia it .. bugger i need to write that up and post it.. ugg soooo little time to do so tho!

Yea I'd love to know the aqua regia theory from the master dustedyou.

J.O.A.T

Feb 23, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAM00158.jpg CAM00155.jpg

Thanks for doing this I spent last night pulling my hair out trying to ID. I found this on the beach with the detector. Put a magnet to it and it stuck. Thanks again

nstamper

Jun 21, 2013
image.jpg image.jpg

Heavy rock not magnetic and doesn't respond to metal detector silvery shine was found in northern ohio close to Lake Erie stuck in shale on side of the river

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello... Ok, here's my question guy. I live in the middle TN. area...about 60-70 miles southwest of Nashville. I got this cave I went deep into a few years ago. It has a small shallow stream that originates from an artesian well deep within cave. The well is about 3' in diameter. When you enter cave and continue back walking, duck-walking and then crawling you come upon what I coined "the crack". This spot is probably 40 minutes inward from the entrance. After squeezing through the crack I saw the appearance change. There were these black rocks all over after squeezing through. The artesian well after "the crack" was another 20-25 minutes back further. After that no rocks. There were very few of the stones before squeezing through the crack entrance. I know the photo's are not close-ups but do you have any idea what kind of rocks / stones these might be. Or maybe.... why they'd be in abundance after a certain point in the cave? In hindsight I should have grabbed some then. Its quite a job getting to them. Attached are photos of "the crack", then me crawling through and then the rocks lying in the steam bed. Thanks.... Brad

Attachments

• Cave #11.jpg
    Cave #11.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 215
  • cave #12.jpg
    cave #12.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 256
  • Cave #13.jpg
    Cave #13.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 246
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 817035 View attachment 817036

Thanks for doing this I spent last night pulling my hair out trying to ID. I found this on the beach with the detector. Put a magnet to it and it stuck. Thanks again

lol magnatite or (off the beach) possibly old bolt or nut heads that have been pitted by the salt water, ive seen Railroad ties that washed out to sea and only the heads of the Spikes were left a week later and they were hanging on by a thread.
I would go back to the same site and see what else you might find... could be fun... and then again could just end up junk! Either way a day at the beach is better than any day behind a desk! GL and may you find treasure!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 817131 View attachment 817132

Heavy rock not magnetic and doesn't respond to metal detector silvery shine was found in northern ohio close to Lake Erie stuck in shale on side of the river

odd ... no responce from a metal detector at all?

It looks like Pyrite (would make sense in the schale... here is a little bit on your schale there

Marcellus Formation (also classified as the Marcellus Subgroup of the Hamilton Group, Marcellus Member of the Romney Formation, or simply the Marcellus Shale) is a unit of marine sedimentary rock found in eastern North America. Named for a distinctive outcrop near the village of Marcellus, New York in the United States,[3] it extends throughout much of the Appalachian Basin.[4] The shale contains largely untapped natural gas reserves, and its proximity to the high-demand markets along the East Coast of the United States makes it an attractive target for energy development.[5]
Stratigraphically, the Marcellus is the lowest unit of the Devonian age Hamilton Group, and is divided into several sub-units. Although black shale is the dominant lithology, it also contains lighter shales and interbedded limestone layers due to sea level variation during its deposition almost 400 million years ago.[6] The black shale was deposited in relatively deep water devoid of oxygen, and is only sparsely fossiliferous. Most fossils are contained in the limestone members, and the fossil record in these layers provides important paleontological insights on faunal turnovers. The black shales also contain iron ore that was used in the early economic development of the region, and uranium and pyrite which are environmental hazards. The fissile shales are also easily eroded, presenting additional civil and environmental engineering challenges.

as for the Metal detector.. the pyrite will diffuse into the shells and old coral making it very pretty but the diffusion may be strong enough to mask it with a background noise.. ie:: try it under a pulse or
Beat Frequency Oscillator (BFO) metal detector. and shake it vigorously! lol best guess ive got!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello... Ok, here's my question guy. I live in the middle TN. area...about 60-70 miles southwest of Nashville. I got this cave I went deep into a few years ago. It has a small shallow stream that originates from an artesian well deep within cave. The well is about 3' in diameter. When you enter cave and continue back walking, duck-walking and then crawling you come upon what I coined "the crack". This spot is probably 40 minutes inward from the entrance. After squeezing through the crack I saw the appearance change. There were these black rocks all over after squeezing through. The artesian well after "the crack" was another 20-25 minutes back further. After that no rocks. There were very few of the stones before squeezing through the crack entrance. I know the photo's are not close-ups but do you have any idea what kind of rocks / stones these might be. Or maybe.... why they'd be in abundance after a certain point in the cave? In hindsight I should have grabbed some then. Its quite a job getting to them. Attached are photos of "the crack", then me crawling through and then the rocks lying in the steam bed. Thanks.... Brad

OK so (SPHEELUNKING) YAY! BTW~! havent gone there since i got stuck once in carlsbad.... ahhh well yes the "Black stones" are iron composites in the lime stone, sometimes caused by dolomite (ya i seem to hear Dinomyte! in my head too) but as the Acidic water eats its way thru the lime stone it will leave the chunks that are harder to eat behind,, leaving Pebbles of black iron ferrite soaked into the dolomite.

here is what i found in the university of Kentucky mineral bilogs..

More than 50 percent of the surface rocks in Kentucky are limestones. Limestone is chiefly composed of the mineral calcite (calcium carbonate), but may contain small amounts of clay, silt, chert, and dolomite. Most limestones are layered and contain fossils of shellfish and other animals that lived in shallow seas. Limestones are shades of bluish gray to tan. The brown and yellow shades are usually caused by iron oxide impurities and the dark-gray to black colors are caused by organic material. The texture of limestone ranges from coarsely crystalline to very fine grained. The large crystals can be seen by the unaided eye, while the crystals in the very fine-grained material, which is usually mixed with clay, are visible only under magnification.

this article points out that the black colors may be a type of extremeofile algae that is eating the iron impurities (amongst others... some eat pure arsenic!) and even others exude pure Sulfuric acid! Carefull every single time ... take a buddy, and take a swab of it to the university.. some of these extremofiles are being used to make new antibiotics!

OH yes and i understand your in TN.. but the university had nothing on TN caves! ... maybe they should have a new study thanks to you!

Last edited:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh eyes on this one...thanks!

Found on the shore of the Annapolis River in Nova Scotia, Canada in an uninhabited area.

Attachments

• 14 May 2011 011.jpg
    14 May 2011 011.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 14 May 2011 012.jpg
    14 May 2011 012.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 14 May 2011 013.jpg
    14 May 2011 013.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Dusty: Your coffee is freshly brewed and waiting. Again 100% my friend.

I also have a curious event here. There is approx. 800 ft of Basalt sitting on top of a bed of limestone. As the faulting eroded away, due primarily to water erosion - it lies in a direct path of some of the hurricanes here - it eventually came to the Limestone layer which it also dissolved, producing long tunnels under the Basalt. The Indians keep telling me that in some of the tunnels they have been finding gold lying on the floor. Due to superstitious fear they cannot gather them ?

This rather reminds me of the story of this type of occurrence - Devil's Tower, Wyoming. Opinion?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so (SPHEELUNKING) YAY! BTW~! havent gone there since i got stuck once in carlsbad.... ahhh well yes the "Black stones" are iron composites in the lime stone, sometimes caused by dolomite (ya i seem to hear Dinomyte! in my head too) but as the Acidic water eats its way thru the lime stone it will leave the chunks that are harder to eat behind,, leaving Pebbles of black iron ferrite soaked into the dolomite.

here is what i found in the university of Kentucky mineral bilogs..

More than 50 percent of the surface rocks in Kentucky are limestones. Limestone is chiefly composed of the mineral calcite (calcium carbonate), but may contain small amounts of clay, silt, chert, and dolomite. Most limestones are layered and contain fossils of shellfish and other animals that lived in shallow seas. Limestones are shades of bluish gray to tan. The brown and yellow shades are usually caused by iron oxide impurities and the dark-gray to black colors are caused by organic material. The texture of limestone ranges from coarsely crystalline to very fine grained. The large crystals can be seen by the unaided eye, while the crystals in the very fine-grained material, which is usually mixed with clay, are visible only under magnification.

this article points out that the black colors may be a type of extremeofile algae that is eating the iron impurities (amongst others... some eat pure arsenic!) and even others exude pure Sulfuric acid! Carefull every single time ... take a buddy, and take a swab of it to the university.. some of these extremofiles are being used to make new antibiotics!

OH yes and i understand your in TN.. but the university had nothing on TN caves! ... maybe they should have a new study thanks to you!

Thank you very much for your review and thoughts guy... I just find it strange that these stones all of a sudden showed up in abundance after I crawled through the small opening I showed you I went through. I'll try and grab one next time I ever see one if I ever get back far enough into cave again. I can't get through that crack no more where there are thousands of them.... Thanks again... Brad

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fresh eyes on this one...thanks!

Found on the shore of the Annapolis River in Nova Scotia, Canada in an uninhabited area.

that is a really clear piece of Flint (Flint is a hard, sedimentary cryptocrystalline form of the mineral quartz) absolutely gorgeous... id see if i couldn't get a knapper to make a knife for you!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G'morning Dusty: Your coffee is freshly brewed and waiting. Again 100% my friend.

I also have a curious event here. There is approx. 800 ft of Basalt sitting on top of a bed of limestone. As the faulting eroded away, due primarily to water erosion - it lies in a direct path of some of the hurricanes here - it eventually came to the Limestone layer which it also dissolved, producing long tunnels under the Basalt. The Indians keep telling me that in some of the tunnels they have been finding gold lying on the floor. Due to superstitious fear they cannot gather them ?

This rather reminds me of the story of this type of occurrence - Devil's Tower, Wyoming. Opinion?

Don Jose de La Mancha

I love the superstitious... makes for sweet finds and an untainted look at the geology... it is possible (altho i've never heard of this before) that the gold washed down via underground rivers and sat there as the rest of the limestone melts away.. especially if there is load bearing basalt above.. odd would love to check it out.. with the Rio Tampas in Sonora, ya id bet there is gold un- discovered in the area.. lol

Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin had to get his gold somewhere... and that is a sweet area to go a hunting!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I just picked up from the road into Fort Anne in Annapolis Royal.

Attachments

• Annapolis Royal-20130623-00636.jpg
    Annapolis Royal-20130623-00636.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 217

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread