Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

chriseneim

May 5, 2013
Found these in some rock I collected the other day and they looked like little brownish gray stones. So I was kinda cuprous so I go a tooth brush and starting cleaning them and noticed they Were a silver metalic color I checked out online and they match platinum but I have no idea. I have three of them all good size nuggets. All infor is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3235263567.png
    image-3235263567.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 303
  • image-2257540770.png
    image-2257540770.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 353
  • image-431387012.png
    image-431387012.png
    335 KB · Views: 363

ruthann

Jun 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blackwhitestriped.JPG

Hello...
I found this rock today while looking for beach glass on the shore of Lake Huron. In my many years of rock collecting I have never seen a striped rock like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not trying to highjack you thread Dust , looks like you guys are trying to find ore with gold, I have gold ore samples.

if you want to know what to look for check out my stuff, crush n pan for your self.

start with rocks you know have gold in them.

I only have a limited supply of small packages.

thanks. The white boulder was talc.

thought so..lol but ive seen some weird stuff lately... lol thanks m8 ... and hijack away!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this yesterday and have been doing some research and found something that looks almost identical. I soaked in HCL over night and in the pics u can see where the acid corroded the junk metal. It's a beautiful thing and looks to be covered in gold or copper ? but you are the pro so let me know what you think. . There are photos with and without a flash as well. Thanks brotha.

DO NOT hit these with HCL they will melt.. you have copper sulfides there (miniscule ammounts of gold if any ) the rock will be much prettier and of more "Inspirational" value as they are or cut open with a tile saw m8 ...I also like #2 closing in on turquoise!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

found this rock on the beach today, caught my eye. It's quite heavy and magnets don't stick to it. The green part is hard to scratch, but the black rock bits scratch with metal objects and go a golden colour. I found it on Walney Island, England. Look forward to hearing from you. View attachment 814808

LOVE your Shist with Garnets!!
Garnet green schist.jpg
Chlorite schist with black, octahedral crystals of magnetite (Fe3O4). Chlorite schist is a moderately common metamorphic rock. It is principally composed principally of chlorite, a silicate mineral with a greenish to grayish-green color. The sample of chlorite schist (metapelite) shown above is from the Wissahickon Schist (a.k.a. Wissahickon Formation, Glenarm Series/Glenarm Supergroup) of Neoproterozoic to Cambrian age in Maryland, USA. Metamorphism took place during the Taconic Orogeny (Late Ordovician to Silurian), which affected much of eastern North America.
Locality: Jarrettsville, western Harford County, northeastern Maryland, USA. ...lol also love that it is egg shaped! Thats a keeper look up how to clean the schist away from the garnets and youll have some real fun ! GL and sweet find!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this in the NF of American River sitting in about 3 feet of water. The silver was shining so brightly it caught my eye. Wet it looked like it was laced with gold - but after drying, not so much. I thought the silver was mercury stuck to gold at first, but now I'm thinking maybe silver? The majority of it is a greenish gray material with the silver laced throughout. I tried scratching it but it's pretty tough. Not greasy like graphite and not crunchy as far as I can tell. Wanted to have it looked at before I crush it and pan it out. Where would I go (Sacramento area) to have someone look at it?

View attachment 814809 View attachment 814810

wifes home town! lol ok so yes looks like silver ,, has all the characteristics of silver and is in the right spot.... may also have a hint of Galena (lead) to it too (they share space alot!)
Nice find and GL with the next one!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found these in some rock I collected the other day and they looked like little brownish gray stones. So I was kinda cuprous so I go a tooth brush and starting cleaning them and noticed they Were a silver metalic color I checked out online and they match platinum but I have no idea. I have three of them all good size nuggets. All infor is greatly appreciated.

Gorgeous..um Plat nuggets are extremely heavy (freakishly heavy) and freakishly rare... titanium or tungston (darker ones look to be tungston) center welll that one has me perplexed... it does have the characteristics of plat... eith way a magnet will not stick to either... and plat will be verry malliable.. but the tungston will just be hard as hell and splatter into pieces... i wouldnt smash any of them... but i would take the center one to a jewler or a assayer if its heavy..HEAVY ! lol nice finds m8!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 815284

Hello...
I found this rock today while looking for beach glass on the shore of Lake Huron. In my many years of rock collecting I have never seen a striped rock like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Howdy! you have a cross section of petrified wood (gorgeous Zebra effect) best ive ever seen but here is a chunk of what it comes from! petrified wood.jpg petrified stool.jpg

keep your eye open for a larger chunk (Stool sized goes for about 3600.00$)

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
ForumRunner_20130619_022201.png

ForumRunner_20130619_022213.png

Hi! I posted these elsewhere and the gold coloring must be pyrite, but what could the green color be? And is it possible there is smokey quartz in there?

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 815915

View attachment 815916

Hi! I posted these elsewhere and the gold coloring must be pyrite, but what could the green color be? And is it possible there is smokey quartz in there?

Sory m8.. the golden color is iron ferrite.. the green is algae.. smoky quartz yup yup.. mixed into the bull quartz (hard white and unyielding) close to good mineralization ... would be good to crack open and see where that vein goes! GL and may you find GOLD!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon dusted, coffee? Here are a few from the arroyo formed by the faulting. Apol. for the color. 2 1/2 " wide
Samples 010.jpg
Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Samples 004.jpg
    Samples 004.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G'afternoon dusted, coffee? Here are a few from the arroyo formed by the faulting. Apol. for the color. 2 1/2 " wide
View attachment 816835
Don Jose de La Mancha

YUMM! lol gold and pyrite top , primarily pyrite in second and third is copper silver in natural metal state... ya EXTREMELY naice! .... get any assayed yet??? that should yield ..extremely well.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this amethyst, just the inside of a flint rock, both or neither?

View attachment 816923

definitely Flint.. white thru black Flint comes in all colors of the rainbow! black flint.jpg green flint.jpg red flint.jpg roter Flint.jpg because of the way flint forms it usually has a white flint on the outside while the mineralization cools to the inside of the "Glob" as its hurled out of the volcano... with more minerals to the inside it tends to take on the color of the mineral making it x color! gorgeous.. and fun.. Purple flint is rare and very hard to find... might be a good sale to a flint knapper (there are many making knives out there still and there are a few making Surgical blades (because they are sharper and harder than surgical steel and a select # of neurosurgeons Prefer the blades to surgical steel.)
Knives, Stone, Flintknapped, Custom Knives : Knappin' Jack

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is some good stuff right here.

looks like its got alot of sulphur m8! crack it in half tho and when in doubt grind it to dust and pan it out!

gentleart

Jun 19, 2013
You are so knowledgeable, resourceful and helpful. Thank you for what you do here!

It amazes me to think about my family's 82 acers being volcanic at one time... or very nearby.

Can I assume the inside color of flint by the outside or do I need to break it open? I found so many different colors today. That one just happened to be open already.

If I remember correctly, one flint had pyrite inside of it.

I will probably post more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread