Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1473704 View attachment 1473705 Did scratch test with a pocket knife.It scratched it, but it was the dark outer shell.Im guessing that is oxidation if thats the correct terminology. I then broke off an edge with a hammer ( after a few strikes ) revealing the shinier metal and it did not scratch it. Dont know if its useful info, but the weight is 1 lb 13 oz and the ruler reference to give you an idea. Its pretty heavy. It was found around KY/TN line.

Weathered or oxidized surface. Either works. Always test the freshly exposed surface, the oxidized surface may be made of different mineral(s).
Do a streak test next.

.Maluenvy

Jul 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a variety of quartz?

Just wondering if this is quartz and if so what type of quartz, or what it really is if not. Thank you alot. It is translucent and I can see thru it with a flash light,
it's clearish grey in color. 15005860857951613968082.jpg 1500586159033334927475.jpg 150058620332350263422.jpg

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear EU citizen. Your opinion please. Quite a bit of stone in this.All the same type of stone with bluish grey staining. What is the best way forward with this piece?
Clean or dirty? I would have thought it a slag remnant if the stone in it had any variation.But no variation. Photo1840.jpg Photo1841.jpg Teeny weeny garnets on it.The mineral inclusions look encouraging to me. Way cool.
I have only seen garnets on schist here before.But this white stuff looks like quartz. Cheers man

This is a next day update.I found something much rarer than gold or silver that could change our idea of how long intelligent life has been on the planet.I have only heard about this in legends but didn't dare to believe it was true.
Photo1856.jpg Photo1857.jpg
Fossilised cheese.

An ID wanted for these groovy nodule things please.One white,one blue and one red.I am thinking agate possibly? Thanks.
Photo1858.jpg

Last edited:

Pignated

Jul 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg I recently bought the rocks on a trip to South Dakota. They came in a big box that you could pick from. The first too were labeled tigers eye but it looked nothing like tigers eye I saw when I looked it up. It actually reminds me of some Jaspers. Could you tell me what these are (number them 1-4)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear EU citizen. Your opinion please. Quite a bit of stone in this.All the same type of stone with bluish grey staining. What is the best way forward with this piece?
Clean or dirty? I would have thought it a slag remnant if the stone in it had any variation.But no variation. View attachment 1474699 View attachment 1474700 Teeny weeny garnets on it.The mineral inclusions look encouraging to me. Way cool.
I have only seen garnets on schist here before.But this white stuff looks like quartz. Cheers man

This is a next day update.I found something much rarer than gold or silver that could change our idea of how long intelligent life has been on the planet.I have only heard about this in legends but didn't dare to believe it was true.
View attachment 1475318 View attachment 1475320
Fossilised cheese.

An ID wanted for these groovy nodule things please.One white,one blue and one red.I am thinking agate possibly? Thanks.
View attachment 1475329

A well made slag will be homogenous. Look for "gas bubbles", which typically indicate slag. A glassy look on a broken surface is also common, but not always so.
Depends on what they melted.

Re: Cheese. I wonder if the expiry date has passed? :tongue3:

Agate are more often waxy. Polished pieces are not. Look for banding.
Test hardness with quartz. Can't see enough details to help with those.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1475431 View attachment 1475431 I recently bought the rocks on a trip to South Dakota. They came in a big box that you could pick from. The first too were labeled tigers eye but it looked nothing like tigers eye I saw when I looked it up. It actually reminds me of some Jaspers. Could you tell me what these are (number them 1-4)
1-2 might be jasper or skarn-ish material.
The last one might be pyrite.

Can't give off a proper guess on the others. Polished pieces are tricky!

bock

Jul 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20403429_251360872044364_1639682060_n.jpg

Can you help me to identify what type of rock this is and the environment it came from? distinct features include dark blue, black and white rings* between the smooth black hard crust and solid dark orange core. Pores on the crust as well, some filled with what I expect to be dirt

Last edited:

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear EU citizen.Firstly hope I am not being a drain with all my questions.Feel free to tell me if I am. I will understand.Me and my bad photos and almost zero knowledge like an irritating child. That aside. This ore piece does have some visible gold in it but really small wire gold weaving around this purple stuff that is like lots of thin sheets on top of eachother.Like puff pastry that didn't rise well cos some complete tool opened the oven too early, but purple and heavy. Not magnetic at all. But I had assumed iron of some form. But I am wrong 50% of the time about virtually everything.Not just rocks. Thanks again mate and hope I am not being an annoying pest.Peace
Photo1862.jpg

This black and white nodule thing of some weird flint?.Sets off the goldbug on non ferrous. One broken side is pitch black.Am I looking and silver oxide in flint? Or am I completely off? Cheers man.
Photo1864.jpg

Last edited:

Pignated

Jul 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock I found in some decorative pebbles outside. It leaves a brownish blackish mark when I hold it image.jpg it looks a bit browner in real life then in the picture thank you

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1475541

Can you help me to identify what type of rock this is and the environment it came from? distinct features include dark blue, black and white rings* between the smooth black hard crust and solid dark orange core. Pores on the crust as well, some filled with what I expect to be dirt

Could be a concretion of some sort? Uncertain. Those are typically found in sedimentary rocks.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear EU citizen.Firstly hope I am not being a drain with all my questions.Feel free to tell me if I am. I will understand.Me and my bad photos and almost zero knowledge like an irritating child. That aside. This ore piece does have some visible gold in it but really small wire gold weaving around this purple stuff that is like lots of thin sheets on top of eachother.Like puff pastry that didn't rise well cos some complete tool opened the oven too early, but purple and heavy. Not magnetic at all. But I had assumed iron of some form. But I am wrong 50% of the time about virtually everything.Not just rocks. Thanks again mate and hope I am not being an annoying pest.Peace
View attachment 1475692

This black and white nodule thing of some weird flint?.Sets off the goldbug on non ferrous. One broken side is pitch black.Am I looking and silver oxide in flint? Or am I completely off? Cheers man.
View attachment 1475965

The first stuff you describe sorta reminds me of lepidolite. Probably way off, since I can't see anything other then blurry-ness. :)
Lepidolite is very soft, in fact so soft, a knife will scratch it. Test that.
It is however not heavy, in which case another mineral in the rock would have to add to the "heft" of the rock.

Bornite often gets a purple tarnish quickly after exposure to air. Has a metallic luster, unlike lepidolite.
Is also scratched with knife, but a streak test will give a blackish mark. Those are possible candidates I can think of.

Can't see in your second pic either. My limited experience with silver-minerals are they're often pitch-black.
Do a hardness and streak test. Oh, and see if you can't find the book: "Prospecting for gemstones and minerals - John Sinkankas".
That'll help with a few stupid questions.:tongue3:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This rock I found in some decorative pebbles outside. It leaves a brownish blackish mark when I hold it View attachment 1475735 it looks a bit browner in real life then in the picture thank you

Very few minerals give off marks just from handling them. I'd guess graphite due to that.

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first stuff you describe sorta reminds me of lepidolite. Probably way off, since I can't see anything other then blurry-ness. :)
Lepidolite is very soft, in fact so soft, a knife will scratch it. Test that.
It is however not heavy, in which case another mineral in the rock would have to add to the "heft" of the rock.

Bornite often gets a purple tarnish quickly after exposure to air. Has a metallic luster, unlike lepidolite.
Is also scratched with knife, but a streak test will give a blackish mark. Those are possible candidates I can think of.

Can't see in your second pic either. My limited experience with silver-minerals are they're often pitch-black.
Do a hardness and streak test. Oh, and see if you can't find the book: "Prospecting for gemstones and minerals - John Sinkankas".
That'll help with a few stupid questions.:tongue3:
Cheers for the book tip. Thanks again. As for the puff pastry one. I think it is a micaceous aggregate of hematite.Just never seen it in that form before. The streak is more rusty orange than red.But micaceous formation of hematite is the best I can come up with. As for the other bit of weirdness.Tried scratching it with a knife and it just transfers stainless steel to the white stone. Scratch test only produces a streak from the black bit which is grey.Pretty heavy and hard. Quite a hard area to work with a goldbug. Lots of rocks go off in non ferrous and slag is just everywhere.Had more luck with using eyes than a detector here.Just too much sets it off. Weird area.Pretty cool though.Peace

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread