Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Led Zeppelin

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a river in the UP. When it's wet its purple/red tones really come out. This is just a photo of it dry. I've had it for a few years now, and it's definitely my favorite natural find. The other side has more circular spots which makes it look like a dragon egg. :) I'm curious if anyone has seen similar rocks?

IMG_4820.JPG

Fumbles

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this digging in my front yard in Portland Oregon. Any clue what it might be?

IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cheers for the book tip. Thanks again. As for the puff pastry one. I think it is a micaceous aggregate of hematite.Just never seen it in that form before. The streak is more rusty orange than red.But micaceous formation of hematite is the best I can come up with. As for the other bit of weirdness.Tried scratching it with a knife and it just transfers stainless steel to the white stone. Scratch test only produces a streak from the black bit which is grey.Pretty heavy and hard. Quite a hard area to work with a goldbug. Lots of rocks go off in non ferrous and slag is just everywhere.Had more luck with using eyes than a detector here.Just too much sets it off. Weird area.Pretty cool though.Peace

Rusty orange? How about limonite? I've seen it do something similar once in a while. (please note; limonite is a group name for ironhydroxide-ish minerals)
Look around, see what they've been smelting. Might be useful/interesting to know!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found in a river in the UP. When it's wet its purple/red tones really come out. This is just a photo of it dry. I've had it for a few years now, and it's definitely my favorite natural find. The other side has more circular spots which makes it look like a dragon egg. :) I'm curious if anyone has seen similar rocks?

View attachment 1476542

Possibly sandstone. An odd one for sure, but neat!
For a proper ID, for future reference, always use the hammer to chip of and edge and show me the fresh surface. It helps LOTS to see the luster of the rock.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

MarkH

Jul 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any guess?

Hey guys if you have any rocks you want identified,, or are having a problem with the composition, Post it with questions, and a brief summary of where you got it..I'm down to help!

And I love to play Stump the Chump!:coffee2:

Hello, I would love to take you up on your offer.

The pictures attached are what I found at local public beach. It is:

1. Magnetic
2. porous surface
3. appears to have a crystalline interior.

Help?

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• .jpeg
    .jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 81

Fumbles

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought so too but wasn't sure. Thank you for confirming what I thought. It looked last me a big marble gone wrong to me but was strange to find it about a foot under my lawn digging for a fence.

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Eu citizen. Tried to answer this myself but drawing a blank. A silver looking nugget. Reacts strongly with peroxide and potassium hydroxide. Very strong reaction with peroxide,boiling it all away and leaving big bubbles only that show no sign of bursting. Just as strong a reaction with peroxide as silver or platinum. I did try to answer this stupid question without you.Just no luck. An add on. After the peroxide had all but gone except for huge bubbles that showed no sign of bursting,I added a bit of water and left it.On returning to it,the water is now like a gel. The photo is of a test tube with said metal held upside down.As you can see,the water shows no sign of wanting to come out but the metal still moves freely in it. Quite weird.In potassium hydroxide the precipitate just looks rust brown. Photo1870.jpg The density means little as the nugget is also full of matrix.It has a pleasing ringing sound when struck with a coin.Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:

rockhound82

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't so much about the rock, rather the silvery/pale silver stuff in and on it. I do not think it is mics, but I could very well be wrong. Hopefully you may be able to tell me more..Thanks in advance.

0728171942.jpg 0728171918.jpg 0728171919a.jpg 0728171919b.jpg 0728171919c.jpg 0728171919.jpg

Richarizardd

Jul 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Im not sure if the pictures are showing up but they are clear and crystal like. I found them while panning in the snake river in idaho.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I would love to take you up on your offer.

The pictures attached are what I found at local public beach. It is:

1. Magnetic
2. porous surface
3. appears to have a crystalline interior.

Help?

Thanks

Mark

Do a streak test. Likely magnetite, which will produce a blackish streak.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Eu citizen. Tried to answer this myself but drawing a blank. A silver looking nugget. Reacts strongly with peroxide and potassium hydroxide. Very strong reaction with peroxide,boiling it all away and leaving big bubbles only that show no sign of bursting. Just as strong a reaction with peroxide as silver or platinum. I did try to answer this stupid question without you.Just no luck. An add on. After the peroxide had all but gone except for huge bubbles that showed no sign of bursting,I added a bit of water and left it.On returning to it,the water is now like a gel. The photo is of a test tube with said metal held upside down.As you can see,the water shows no sign of wanting to come out but the metal still moves freely in it. Quite weird.In potassium hydroxide the precipitate just looks rust brown. View attachment 1476925 The density means little as the nugget is also full of matrix.It has a pleasing ringing sound when struck with a coin.Thanks for your thoughts

Your failure is due to you using the wrong methods. No hydroxide is used for mineral ID work, it will at best be used to check for gold in sulphides.
Do a hardness test, streak test for starters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread