Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone I found this rock while fishing. Not sure if this looks like a tree or scales. A second opinion on it would be nice thanks View attachment 1423351 View attachment 1423352 View attachment 1423353 View attachment 1423354

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that's one of those rocks best seen in person. Get a second opinion if you can.
While fossil certainly occurred in my mind, at closer examination I'm thinking a metamorphic rock with "augens" which have weathered out.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
The rock seems wet. Give me a couple of dry pics, the wet surface hides the luster of the rock, making ID harder.
Also see if a knife can scratch it.

The rock was dry in the picture.

It had a inner round piece of that rock which he could find.

I googled rock with crystles in it and i got a lot of rocks that looked the same but with larger crystles inside of it.

Melingchong

Mar 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello 20170307_093014.jpg

aussie skeeta

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There
i have this rock that i have found ,it came from a creek , washed out of the banks from erosion , i have cut off a 50mm slice and the inside has a lot of different coloured oxides or powders,like 3-4 different ones, it is fine grained and seems to have a shell around it, i have done a little polishing to the cut face of the rock to try and highlight the different areas, the area that it came from is sandstone hills ,sedimentry , in the Grafton ,northern new south wales , australia, thinking it is part of the kangaroo creek formation, knowing that my area was volcanic many years ago ,thinking it might be in that class,dont know what else you may need to know , i have some site pics and a little more info that i can help with , IMAG1191.jpg IMAG1192.jpg IMAG1193.jpg any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks Glenn

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi There
i have this rock that i have found ,it came from a creek , washed out of the banks from erosion , i have cut off a 50mm slice and the inside has a lot of different coloured oxides or powders,like 3-4 different ones, it is fine grained and seems to have a shell around it, i have done a little polishing to the cut face of the rock to try and highlight the different areas, the area that it came from is sandstone hills ,sedimentry , in the Grafton ,northern new south wales , australia, thinking it is part of the kangaroo creek formation, knowing that my area was volcanic many years ago ,thinking it might be in that class,dont know what else you may need to know , i have some site pics and a little more info that i can help with , View attachment 1426251 View attachment 1426252 View attachment 1426253 any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks Glenn

That's sedimentary and commonly referred to as Ironstone.

knoxbr

Mar 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this rock in Saudi Arabia in 1991 and have no clue what it is? Brown Rock.jpg

Gaiton6729Zippo

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2016
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 and Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy EU: Found this rock in the Nolichucky in Tennessee, I dug it out while prospecting. It has a hardness of 7, streak is none. I believe it to be quartz. would like to know if it is agate? 1102161154-00[151]_edited.jpg 1102161156-00[150]_edited.jpg 1108161052-01[269]_edited.jpg

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been a year since the OP replied to any of your questions..........

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy EU: Found this rock in the Nolichucky in Tennessee, I dug it out while prospecting. It has a hardness of 7, streak is none. I believe it to be quartz. would like to know if it is agate? View attachment 1427040 View attachment 1427041 View attachment 1427042

Agate per definition has concentric banding. I see none here, but may very well belong to the same family; chalcedony.

Usually quartz has a greasy to glassy luster, chalcedony often has a waxy looking one.
To see the luster, you may have to chip of a bit to look at a fresh surface*. Weathering can "hide" it.

*Use eye protection, gloves etc when doing that, may save you a trip to the hospital.

aussie skeeta

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi EU got another to look at for me , think it is in the same category as my Iron Stone,found in the same creek as the Iron Stone, but instead of coming out of the banks, with erosion,it came from the floor of the creek , in a crazy brick like pattern, thinking like boxworks pattern,all interlocked into each other , is like a layer of them that dissappers under the bank of the creek, and they slowly being washed out by the erosion, i have busted open another specimen similar to this one and it was full of the same oxides i found in the Iron Stone ,reds and yellows and brown/purple almost,you can scratch the surface with a knife,makes a yellowy powder, it is non magnetic ,brown to light brown streak,almost yellowy brown,
is there a name for this type of formation? IMG_20170315_084139hi top1.jpg IMG_20170315_084152hi top 3.jpg IMG_20170315_084146hi top 2.jpg 2012-08-03 18.24.46.jpg

aussie skeeta

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hematite ??

Hi EU
found this one tangled in some tree roots exposed from some erosion to the creek banks,was a bit scary climbing in there to get it ,it was just soo shiny,how you see the rock that's how it came out , clean as a whistle,
looks like it has a fusion coating all over it , is that correct ?
the streak is brown (dark brown) to the outside skin, and dark red /maroon to the chipped corner,from clumsy me dropping it ,
and is non magnetic
if you press hard enough you can scratch it with a knife, but it seems to chip the outer surface/layers off, and is soft to the inside(red) IMG_20170315_083244hem2.jpg IMG_20170315_083257hem3.jpg IMG_20170315_083313hem4.jpg IMG_20170315_083242hem 1.jpg i do have one i can take a pic of, that i have cut in half ,that's similar.
thanks

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi EU got another to look at for me , think it is in the same category as my Iron Stone,found in the same creek as the Iron Stone, but instead of coming out of the banks, with erosion,it came from the floor of the creek , in a crazy brick like pattern, thinking like boxworks pattern,all interlocked into each other , is like a layer of them that dissappers under the bank of the creek, and they slowly being washed out by the erosion, i have busted open another specimen similar to this one and it was full of the same oxides i found in the Iron Stone ,reds and yellows and brown/purple almost,you can scratch the surface with a knife,makes a yellowy powder, it is non magnetic ,brown to light brown streak,almost yellowy brown,
is there a name for this type of formation? View attachment 1427199 View attachment 1427200 View attachment 1427201 View attachment 1427202

For educational purposes, do a streak test with the ironstone sample. Compare. Sounds like a relative to your ironstone.

Limonite, FeOH, or commonly called rust typically shows the streak you got in this rock. Happens to be a major part of ironstones.

Boxwork pattern can be due to jointing. (the non-smoke variation in geology) :thumbsup:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi EU
found this one tangled in some tree roots exposed from some erosion to the creek banks,was a bit scary climbing in there to get it ,it was just soo shiny,how you see the rock that's how it came out , clean as a whistle,
looks like it has a fusion coating all over it , is that correct ?
the streak is brown (dark brown) to the outside skin, and dark red /maroon to the chipped corner,from clumsy me dropping it ,
and is non magnetic
if you press hard enough you can scratch it with a knife, but it seems to chip the outer surface/layers off, and is soft to the inside(red) View attachment 1427206 View attachment 1427207 View attachment 1427208 View attachment 1427209 i do have one i can take a pic of, that i have cut in half ,that's similar.
thanks

Appears to be iron-rich for sure. The limonite may form a oxidazation layer around other minerals, hence forming a outer layer in this way.
The surface looks polished, rather then fusion crust.
Please do take pic of the one broke in half.

My initial impression is still sedimentary-rock related. Ironstone, banded iron formation? Let's see the inside!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread