Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this sucker rock hounding a couple years back. It's slightly magnetic and weighs 1lb. 9.6 oz. It fits the description of what I've read to be a stony meteorite or fusion crust? It looks like a miniature version of the Hoba meteorite. Same texture on the top as the Hoba. It has what appears under a loupe to be encrusted with tiny diamonds, gold speckles, and silver/ platinum in one little area.
What do you fellers think? (the giant one of course is the Hoba)

Attachments

• 20170226_100244.jpg
    20170226_100244.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170226_100327.jpg
    20170226_100327.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170226_100404.jpg
    20170226_100404.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20170226-100021.png
    Screenshot_20170226-100021.png
    465 KB · Views: 79

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What kind of Stone did I find- It was in a muddy area just off road- I was searching for garnet but was in the wrong area-

Doesn't seem to streak-

its clear, with may fractures-

maybe from a larger stone I didn't see- View attachment 1419022 View attachment 1419023 View attachment 1419024 View attachment 1419025 View attachment 1419026 View attachment 1419027

Possibly quartz. A hardness test with quartz will confirm, about same hardness = no scratch.
Try it and get back to us.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this sucker rock hounding a couple years back. It's slightly magnetic and weighs 1lb. 9.6 oz. It fits the description of what I've read to be a stony meteorite or fusion crust? It looks like a miniature version of the Hoba meteorite. Same texture on the top as the Hoba. It has what appears under a loupe to be encrusted with tiny diamonds, gold speckles, and silver/ platinum in one little area.

Do a streak test (= Rubb against a unglazed piece of porcelain) and get back on what color you get.
Also see if it can be scratched by a knife. I'm betting it's of terrestrial origin.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a streak test (= Rubb against a unglazed piece of porcelain) and get back on what color you get.
Also see if it can be scratched by a knife. I'm betting it's of terrestrial origin.

Thank you sir. I will do that (later on next week when I go into town). I gotta get a piece of porcelain. I tried to scratch it with a knife, using some decent pressure, and it leaves a small mark that I can wipe off with my finger, which removes the mark completely. Is that an indicator of a possible piece of fusion crust/ meteorite? Thanks in advance!

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I finally took some pics of some stones that I am trying to identify as diamonds HAHAHAHA!! I mean, I do not think they are quartz but I'm also an optimist LOL! The big one that is kinda long, is the one that actually came from Crater of Diamond State Park in Arkansas. thumb_IMG_0298_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0299_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0300_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0301_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0302_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0303_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0304_1024.jpg

There is one part where you can see a bit of a rainbow color but otherwise it is clear (just dirty I think...).

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you sir. I will do that (later on next week when I go into town). I gotta get a piece of porcelain. I tried to scratch it with a knife, using some decent pressure, and it leaves a small mark that I can wipe off with my finger, which removes the mark completely. Is that an indicator of a possible piece of fusion crust/ meteorite? Thanks in advance!

The underside of the lid on your toilet reservoir should suffice for your streak test.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The underside of the lid on your toilet reservoir should suffice for your streak test.

Great idea, thanks. Unfortunately, what I just did in that room won't enable me to do that until tomorrow.(damned Fiber One bars)

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

You've got a one in a hundred million shot of it being a meteorite, and a 1 in 1 shot of it being slag from a metal operation of some kind.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm gonna take it to the geology lab at the School of Mines in Butte this spring. I'm still gonna hold on to the (probably a false hope) that it's a meteorite. I did think that it could be a hunk of slag, but that 1% of me doesn't want to believe it.

NancyZ

Feb 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me what kind of rock this is?

I found several of this rocks in Arizona. They were a vein in the side of red dirt or clay hill that looked like it was a river bed. This pictures are of the thicker ones. Found some that are darker in color and some that are lighter.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    938.4 KB · Views: 52

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found several of this rocks in Arizona. They were a vein in the side of red dirt or clay hill that looked like it was a river bed. This pictures are of the thicker ones. Found some that are darker in color and some that are lighter.

Could that be red calcite? It is really cool looking!!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fusion crust looks quite different to yours, its a surface phenomena; Notice your rock is the same color all the way through.
I assume it left a metallic mark then, from the knife.

Slag is a candidate, the weak magnetism is due to traces of iron left in there. Seems not to be a meteorite, I'm afraid.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I finally took some pics of some stones that I am trying to identify as diamonds HAHAHAHA!! I mean, I do not think they are quartz but I'm also an optimist LOL! The big one that is kinda long, is the one that actually came from Crater of Diamond State Park in Arkansas. View attachment 1419796 View attachment 1419797 View attachment 1419798 View attachment 1419799 View attachment 1419800 View attachment 1419801 View attachment 1419802

There is one part where you can see a bit of a rainbow color but otherwise it is clear (just dirty I think...).

Use a knife to try and scratch one of the milky-looking fellows to the right of the turquoise paper.
If it leaves a metallic mark (= harder then knife), likely quartz, as most of them seem to be. Don't be afraid to use a little force, if needed.

Magnification is useful for the newbie doing this test.
A 10x loupe is what I'd use (get one, basic tools of the trade!), but a magnifying glass can do in emergency situations.

When we have ID'd one as quartz, use it for further scratch tests as diamond is harder then quartz & will scratch it.

On the 6th image, use the bottom left pieces, to do the test with quartz as described above.
Quartz tends to be less "shiny" then diamond, another indicator to use as to what pieces to test.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The rock seems wet. Give me a couple of dry pics, the wet surface hides the luster of the rock, making ID harder.
Also see if a knife can scratch it.

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks! I don't think I'll get the loupe in the mail before I leave next Monday, though I'm going to order it in a minute...and will be gone nearly a month so I'll post when I get back what I find out!

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
A rock found from deep underground. It has crystles in the inside.

Attachments

• 1488201046160.jpg
    1488201046160.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 1488201115572.jpg
    1488201115572.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 1488201177476.jpg
    1488201177476.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 61

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fusion crust looks quite different to yours, its a surface phenomena; Notice your rock is the same color all the way through.
I assume it left a metallic mark then, from the knife.

Slag is a candidate, the weak magnetism is due to traces of iron left in there. Seems not to be a meteorite, I'm afraid.

Thanks, my friend. I'm with you, after seeing some pictures of slag, I believe you are absolutely right!

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Milky-Green Quartz-like rock

The first is with flash on and is a decent rep but the transparency is milky closer to the top and bottom and is clear in the middle. Is this an algae or natural colorization? I tried the bleach suggestion to remove possible algae...no change. It doesn't appear vivid enough to be emerald and darker than most peridot I have seen. It was originally found on a white quarts chuck that I found hiking in the woods. I assume another layer of quartz was on the other half due to the same marks after this broke off the main chunk. It is brittle, this piece here just broke in half when it fell on the floor...what is it? 0226172327.jpg Green Quartz2.jpg Green Quartz1.jpg

Last edited:

Raychael

Feb 21, 2017
Chesterfield, Va
Detector(s) used
Newbie with a Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post so hi everyone! I recently got a metal detector & came here to learn but was pretty happy to see this thread also. Just wondering if this game was still going. ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread