Got my first ever war nickel

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've been seeing more and more of them in circulation. maybe a sign of the times ?

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
How much silver is in a 35% nickel as compared to a 90% dime? Is it comparable?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I know that a 40% half has just under what a 90% quarter has in silver. Check out this web site to find your answer. Type in just one of each coin and it will give you the amount of silver in the coin. I think you will like this site. I always fool around with it by putting an imaginary silver value of say $100 per ounce and typing in the amount of each type of coin that I have to figure out how rich I will be. Have fun with it. Oh and on the left side there are calculators to figure out foreign coin silver break downs.

Golden Silver

http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/coin_calculator.aspx

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
I know that a 40% half has just under what a 90% quarter has in silver. Check out this web site to find your answer. Type in just one of each coin and it will give you the amount of silver in the coin. I think you will like this site. I always fool around with it by putting an imaginary silver value of say $100 per ounce and typing in the amount of each type of coin that I have to figure out how rich I will be. Have fun with it.

Golden Silver

http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/coin_calculator.aspx

Wow, cool site. Thanks for the post. I am going to bookmark that one.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
No prob AG. If you look on the left side there are foreign coin silver break downs.

Golden Silver

Happyspider

Oct 22, 2008
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
Latest on coinflation shows a war nickel at 20x face value in silver (currently at .99) while a silver dime is at 12.7x FV in silver ($1.27).

-Happyspider

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, war nickels had magnesium added to them to make them harder to melt? Do smelters even accept war nickels for melt?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread