Got Silver on the 2nd day of 2009!!! Turns out to be my first Mercury Dime!!!!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well, Today was a nice day to start off the new year! I met up with JuJu (Nate) in Tacoma, and we headed off to a spot nearby, which lead us to hitting a nearby strip. Second signal that came out of the ground was a poop ring. Nate calls them poop rings because it not silver or gold. I was amazed when it came out of the ground because I thought that it was silver, but it turned out that it had no markings. The 4th target out of the grass strip was a really cool key, which had an Eagle in the middle of the key and the writing on it was Terryville, Conneticut U.S.A. I had gotten a lock in Ronald before that had the same name, so I was really excited that it had the same company's name on the key.

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd006.jpg

After freezing our butts off in tacoma, JuJu (Nate) and I decided to go into Elma and hit the house where I got my 1952 dime and thimble last time. Took us an hour to get there and it paid off!! :) I was really excited to hit the right side of the yard, where most of the goodies had been found last time along with the Silver Dime, that I had found. I scanned the area and my first hit was a 1939 wheat penny.

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd004.jpg

After scanning the ground with my coil for 10-15 minutes. I got a really good Dime-Penny-Dime Signal on the side of the yard, almost where the sidewalk was. I dug the plug and was surprised to see a silver dime. I thought it was another rosie, but as it turns out, it was a MERCURY DIME! The Date on the Mercury dime was 1943!!!! :) I was so excited! I left my detector on the ground and I had ran while jumping in the air to JuJu(Nate), Who was shocked to see me and wondered what I had found. I showed him the coin and we pounded it! :) ;D I am really excited right now because I got my first Mercury Silver Dime ever!

mercurydime1.jpg

mercurydime2.jpg

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd002.jpg

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd003.jpg

We dug a few more targets, and then decided to go back to Tacoma. After hunting the next door neighboors house in Tacoma and not getting anything but clad. I had decided that it was time for me and JuJu(Nate) to quit.

I told JuJu(Nate) that it was great hunting with him and will see him again on Sunday! :)

All of my finds including my clad, garbage, and poop ring:

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd001.jpg

2009 has started off great so far and I hope to get better finds throughout the year. For all those who want to know the settings, I used Captain SE's settings, but this time I turned my Sensitivity down to 17 on my detector and that freed up many targets that were masked in the ground before. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
;D
When I saw ya jumpin around like that I thought to myself. Thats the first time I ever saw someone run and have a seizure at the same time. :laughing7: Congrats on the merc. There are plenty more out there to be had, and we're gonna get em.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
juju said:
;D
When I saw ya jumpin around like that I thought to myself. Thats the first time I ever saw someone run and have a seizure at the same time. :laughing7: Congrats on the merc. There are plenty more out there to be had, and we're gonna get em.
JuJu

Most excellent find there DF. I wish I was there to film you jumping around. Glad you had a great day detecting with juju. Can not wait till this spring for some detecting on the wet side.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 600
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 603
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 599
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 597

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
:headbang: :headbang:

Nice going, DF!! I knew it would be just a matter of time with your machine before you start getting some more of those beautiful silver coins.

Md'ers who are avid to know more, like you, will be successful in time.

Congrats on your first Merc, buddy!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I know you gotta be happy about that find. Go find some more!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Big congrats on your first silver DF - and a beauty of a Merc to boot! Looks like Dan might have some "Left Coast" competition this year... :wink: ;D

Attachments

• smiley.gif
    smiley.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 617
  • smiley.gif
    smiley.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 612

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Re: Got Silver on the 2nd day of 2009!!! Turns out to be my first Mercury Dime!!

Very nice finds, Mercury dimes are my favorite, I also only have found one. Mine is 1936.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding your first merc! Many more will certainly follow. That has to be the most beautifully designed US coinof them all. I love 'em! My first silver coin ever was a mercury dime, and I found five more mercs before finding my first Rosie.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Re: Got Silver on the 2nd day of 2009!!! Turns out to be my first Mercury Dime!!

WTG and congrats on the merc !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find ! The merc. is my favorite U.S. coin, I've only found 4 so far, they are on my

perpetual wish list for coin finds . Love your pic of it in the dirt - that's great looking !

Argentium.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Great finds. I believe you have learned the machine. Congrats
Dman

Jul 11, 2008
Neosho,Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac ,Tesoro cibola
it hit me funny you said you detected in tacoma,my girlfriend is there visiting her son and they went to the beach,when she called me that night she said she saw a couple of guys detecting there,somewhere where they had a copper smelter! anyways congrats on the finds,best of luck.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LabradorBob said:
it hit me funny you said you detected in tacoma,my girlfriend is there visiting her son and they went to the beach,when she called me that night she said she saw a couple of guys detecting there,somewhere where they had a copper smelter! anyways congrats on the finds,best of luck.
That would be the old Asarco smelter. In old town next to point defiance.
JuJu

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
great finds on the silver.glad you and ju ju had a great hunt. :thumbsup:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006