Got Silver on the 2nd day of 2009!!! Turns out to be my first Mercury Dime!!!!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well, Today was a nice day to start off the new year! I met up with JuJu (Nate) in Tacoma, and we headed off to a spot nearby, which lead us to hitting a nearby strip. Second signal that came out of the ground was a poop ring. Nate calls them poop rings because it not silver or gold. I was amazed when it came out of the ground because I thought that it was silver, but it turned out that it had no markings. The 4th target out of the grass strip was a really cool key, which had an Eagle in the middle of the key and the writing on it was Terryville, Conneticut U.S.A. I had gotten a lock in Ronald before that had the same name, so I was really excited that it had the same company's name on the key.

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd006.jpg

After freezing our butts off in tacoma, JuJu (Nate) and I decided to go into Elma and hit the house where I got my 1952 dime and thimble last time. Took us an hour to get there and it paid off!! :) I was really excited to hit the right side of the yard, where most of the goodies had been found last time along with the Silver Dime, that I had found. I scanned the area and my first hit was a 1939 wheat penny.

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd004.jpg

After scanning the ground with my coil for 10-15 minutes. I got a really good Dime-Penny-Dime Signal on the side of the yard, almost where the sidewalk was. I dug the plug and was surprised to see a silver dime. I thought it was another rosie, but as it turns out, it was a MERCURY DIME! The Date on the Mercury dime was 1943!!!! :) I was so excited! I left my detector on the ground and I had ran while jumping in the air to JuJu(Nate), Who was shocked to see me and wondered what I had found. I showed him the coin and we pounded it! :) ;D I am really excited right now because I got my first Mercury Silver Dime ever!

mercurydime1.jpg

mercurydime2.jpg

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd002.jpg

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd003.jpg

We dug a few more targets, and then decided to go back to Tacoma. After hunting the next door neighboors house in Tacoma and not getting anything but clad. I had decided that it was time for me and JuJu(Nate) to quit.

I told JuJu(Nate) that it was great hunting with him and will see him again on Sunday! :)

All of my finds including my clad, garbage, and poop ring:

mercurydimefindjanuary2nd001.jpg

2009 has started off great so far and I hope to get better finds throughout the year. For all those who want to know the settings, I used Captain SE's settings, but this time I turned my Sensitivity down to 17 on my detector and that freed up many targets that were masked in the ground before. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Congrats on your first (of many) Mercury Head dimes!!!!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Merc, and congrates on the first, you'll soon get more. Scary though, 3653 posts, and only one Merc. Hmmmm.. The way I type, I could have walked to England in that amount of time. Old England. :thumbsup:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Congratulations on your first Merc DF!! She's sweet and you will NEVER forget her :thumbsup:

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think could be a very prosperous start. Great job

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Congrats on the Merc!

Still my favorite coin to find in the bottom of a hole!

WTG!
Many more to come!

Good Luck,
Mark

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
ITS KIND OF FUNNY. I TOLD MY MOTHER INLAW THAT I HAD NEVER FOUND A MERCERY DIME SO SHE GAVE ME ONE. SEVERAL DAYS LATER I FOUNED FIVE MERCURY DIME ......... AND NO IM NOT GIVING HER MERCURY DIME BACK...... ;D ONLY IF SHE ASK FOR IT... SHE;S THE BEST MOTHER-INLAW YOU CAN HAVE. ;D

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey, congrats on your first Merc! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: She's gorgeous! :wink:

Mercs have long been my favorite coin. That pic of it in the dirt brought back the fever, for sure!!! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread