Got this Enamel Vase today, not sure who the maker could be. Could someone help?

Jarac84

Jun 6, 2018
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    991.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    921.4 KB · Views: 63

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think that's enamel. It appears to be a glazed high fire vase from the mid 20th century. I can't help you with the maker. The marks appear to be a model, lot or design designation.

Upvote 0

proudscot

May 19, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe that is a japanese satsuma vase. found a few similar pieces on the internet. Maybe around 1910-1920. s-l300.jpg 4d336849f3671b9808d3956cbebc36c2--vintage-vases-porcelain-vase.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could see why you might think that proudscot. I'll give you the reasons why I don't think that ID fits in this case.

There is no Satsuma mark. I've handled a lot of Satsuma and I would expect to see at least a circle with a cross in it even if it was a forgery.
This is a genuine Satsuma mark:

satsuma-pottery-shumazu-crest-150x150.jpg

Satsuma is almost always signed by the artist, quite often in gold. The gold highlights often seen in Satsuma are actual gold gilding. This vase has a gold colored glaze, not genuine gold. Genuine Satsuma ware will always have a very light yellow clay base, this one has a pinkish clay base.

Satsuma uses fine overglaze enamelling on an already fired and glazed vessel. The piece shown has a single glaze firing with no underglaze. The underglaze on Satsuma is part of the design ground and is never completely covered. This is because the off white base glaze shows a fine craquelure texture pattern that is a beautiful contrast to the smooth bright enamel overglaze decoration. This contrast is one of the defining characteristics of Satsuma ware.

Satsuma was never high fired. Gently tap the top edge of the vase with a piece of flatware. If you hear a *tink* sound it can't be Satsuma. Satsuma is always low fired clay and it will have a dull [thud] sound when tapped. This is a good place to start with identifying any pottery along with the clay color and fineness.

Look closely at this classic late (1908) Satsuma bowl and I think you will see how the points I made here are easily identifiable in a genuine Satsuma piece.

Yabu_Meizan_-_Bowl_with_a_Multitude_of_Women_-_Walters_492280_-_Profile.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread