Grandfather Collection - advice please

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello. New here.

I've inherited a collection of artifacts that my grandfather had. He passed away in 1971 and this collection has been boxed up since then. It is not certain where the items were collected from. He grew up and lived most of his life in Northeastern Kansas. He also owned a large ranch in Southwestern Wyoming in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. I suspect most of the items are from the ranch.

I am seeking advice on what to do with the collection. If it has significant value, I would sell it. If I were to sell it, it would seem that selling the entire collection to a dealer would be easiest. It would be good to have a rough idea of what to ask for the collection. I suppose another option would be to sell the collection in pieces online. However, I don't have the expertise to price each individual piece and appraisal/authentication for so many pieces doesn't seem like a economical option. I have read that it is wise to sell items in the area they came from. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer in the Denver area?

If it doesn't look like it has much value, I may just hang on to the collection. To be honest, I'm not really into artifact collection :-[ (maybe cause I'm colorblind and have never been good at spotting them). My kids aren't too interested in it, but maybe the grand kids will be.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Phil

Attachments

• Sanders02hx.jpg
    Sanders02hx.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Sanders03hx.jpg
    Sanders03hx.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Sanders04ahx.jpg
    Sanders04ahx.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Sanders04bhx.jpg
    Sanders04bhx.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Sanders05hx.jpg
    Sanders05hx.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Sanders06hx.jpg
    Sanders06hx.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Sanders07hx.jpg
    Sanders07hx.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Sanders08hx.jpg
    Sanders08hx.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Sanders11ax.jpg
    Sanders11ax.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Sanders11bx.jpg
    Sanders11bx.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Sanders01hx.jpg
    Sanders01hx.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Sanders09hx.jpg
    Sanders09hx.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Sanders10hx.jpg
    Sanders10hx.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection. As to value it's how much does someone want to pay. There are some nice points in the collection but nothing worth a ton of money. Most is what would be termed field points. Some other points from pics 6 and 7 would be your more valuable points. It's a large collection so I guess the value could add up but can't give a specific number. Personally I would hold onto but if it's not your thing I am sure you could sell them. Thanks for sharing and I am sure someone else can give more information.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I can't really help you much on value, but I don't see anything that really jumps out to me as WOW type value. That said a lot of $5 to $20 pieces can add up quickly.

As far as the types and location found, a lot of the nicer notched pieces look like they are from South Texas and West Texas types, maybe even the other side of the Rio Grande into Northern Mexico. Duran, Toyah, Livermore, etc.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a collector of Indian Points but from past experience with dealers they will low ball you on what it's worth and maybe offer 40% of face value. You might want to take it to reputable auction house in your area, they will take a cut but you might be surprised at what it might bring at a live auction. Good luck

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I've inherited a collection of artifacts that my grandfather had. He passed away in 1971 and this collection has been boxed up since then. It is not certain where the items were collected from. He grew up and lived most of his life in Northeastern Kansas. He also owned a large ranch in Southwestern Wyoming in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. I suspect most of the items are from the ranch.
Phil

Granted, some of that material could have come from northeastern Kansas and southwestern Wyoming but the majority of the collection is made of materials that did not come from those two locations.

Hopefully you find a good home for the collection.

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Might not matter... but i should have said Southeast Wyoming (west of Laramie). Also, he did make frequent trips to Mexico (driving).

Thanks so much for your responses.

Phil

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dealer will low ball you ,a collector will try to do the same because most want to pick through it and resale the other. Do some studies on artifacts for sale on FB and compare them to what you have. Then Place it on a online auction site and see what happens, but remember once it's gone it's gone. you may want to sell one at a time or have someone make you an offer.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to reiterate what others have said, to show support of their answers... Lots of common, cheaper points there. But what i do see are those small/tiny points with the multiple notches/serrations are pretty goos points and usually fetch decent money, especially if they are perfect. Don't consider them cheap because they are small (some people really think the size matter, not always the case) maybe keep those guys and do away with the rest. Totally up to you... Thanks for sharing them, some very interesting things in there for sure!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with what everyone else has said. Some of those pieces could very easily have been found in Kansas or Wyoming, but a lot of those Quartz pieces are most likely from other areas. The piece in pictures #6 and #7 are going to get you the most money. The rest are field grade or maybe just a step above, and as Joshua stated, might fetch $5 to $20 each.

Nice looking pieces though. If you decide to piece it out I may be interested in some on the small serrated types in pics 6 and 7.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pic 6,7,9 and the last one the Maul is the best pieces.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
PLS - there's a crescent shaped artifact on the bottom row of the 6th photograph. Can you provide a close up of both sides? If that's a desert crescent it's a super cool artifact. Thanks.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLS - there's a crescent shaped artifact on the bottom row of the 6th photograph. Can you provide a close up of both sides? If that's a desert crescent it's a super cool artifact. Thanks.

I saw that too and it sure looks like a Crescent.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
You've got a few in that mix that look to be Palaeo. The crescent is amazing (and rare). The small ovate blade on the right hand side of the first picture is very nice. The lancelot point in the center of the third pic could be Palaeo, but hard to tell in the pic. Is the grey one on the lower right of the fifth picture fluted? There might be a quad point in the same picture as the crescent, near the center. The one at the bottom right of the 7th picture might be a Clovis, but I can't tell if it's fluted of not in the pic. Bottom right on the 8th picture looks like a little Agate Basin. If you're able to get some close ups of those, I'm sure people will be able to ID them

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll try to get some close-up pics posted this weekend.

Again, thanks everyone for you input.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I don't know anything about selling arrowheads or their value. That crescent piece caught my attention real quick. Lot of side notched points, but they're not southern plains. Some look a lot like from those mound builders. The spear thing in the last two pics. Is that metal? Reminded me of a Spanish halberd in a way.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection. Quite a variety. IMO, a collection like that would sell better if you can identify the regions/ages of the pieces. It would take a lot of work documenting them, but worth it in the long run.

Maybe you can find a local boy scouts club that would help with that. You would be surprised how they would enjoy the education looking up the various points, and will earn badges in doing so.

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm re-posting pics of the collection. I had reduced the size of the previously posted ones, so these ones will have a little bit better resolution. I have renamed/numbered my pics to match the way this forum displays them. I have also added a grid system. Sorry, but I'm pretty ignorant on artifact identification right now. That and my color blindness makes it difficult to determine exactly which items people are asking about. So, if you have any questions about specific pieces, if you could refer to the pic number and the grid coordinates, that would make it a lot easier. For example... the potential crescent piece would be on Pic06 and grid coordinates A5 (or maybe A5 to B6). Thanks. Pic01.jpg Pic02.jpg pic03.jpg Pic04.jpg Pic05.jpg Pic06.jpg Pic07.jpg Pic08.jpg Pic09.jpg Pic10.jpg Pic11.jpg Pic12.jpg

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here you go...
cres01.jpg cres02.jpg cres03.jpg cres04.jpg cres05.jpg cres06.jpg

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You've got a few in that mix that look to be Palaeo. The crescent is amazing (and rare). The small ovate blade on the right hand side of the first picture is very nice. The lancelot point in the center of the third pic could be Palaeo, but hard to tell in the pic. Is the grey one on the lower right of the fifth picture fluted? There might be a quad point in the same picture as the crescent, near the center. The one at the bottom right of the 7th picture might be a Clovis, but I can't tell if it's fluted of not in the pic. Bottom right on the 8th picture looks like a little Agate Basin. If you're able to get some close ups of those, I'm sure people will be able to ID them

I'm sorry, but I'm having a little difficulty figuring out exactly which artifacts you are talking about. I'm very new to this (and color blind). I've re-posted the pics of the collection with a grid coordinate system on them. If you have time, could you identify which items you are talking about with the pic number and coordinates?

Thanks!

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. I don't know anything about selling arrowheads or their value. That crescent piece caught my attention real quick. Lot of side notched points, but they're not southern plains. Some look a lot like from those mound builders. The spear thing in the last two pics. Is that metal? Reminded me of a Spanish halberd in a way.

Yep, it is metal. Not really sure if it belongs with the collection. It was in the same box.

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread