Grandfather Collection - advice please

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello. New here.

I've inherited a collection of artifacts that my grandfather had. He passed away in 1971 and this collection has been boxed up since then. It is not certain where the items were collected from. He grew up and lived most of his life in Northeastern Kansas. He also owned a large ranch in Southwestern Wyoming in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. I suspect most of the items are from the ranch.

I am seeking advice on what to do with the collection. If it has significant value, I would sell it. If I were to sell it, it would seem that selling the entire collection to a dealer would be easiest. It would be good to have a rough idea of what to ask for the collection. I suppose another option would be to sell the collection in pieces online. However, I don't have the expertise to price each individual piece and appraisal/authentication for so many pieces doesn't seem like a economical option. I have read that it is wise to sell items in the area they came from. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer in the Denver area?

If it doesn't look like it has much value, I may just hang on to the collection. To be honest, I'm not really into artifact collection :-[ (maybe cause I'm colorblind and have never been good at spotting them). My kids aren't too interested in it, but maybe the grand kids will be.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Phil

Attachments

• Sanders02hx.jpg
    Sanders02hx.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Sanders03hx.jpg
    Sanders03hx.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Sanders04ahx.jpg
    Sanders04ahx.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Sanders04bhx.jpg
    Sanders04bhx.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Sanders05hx.jpg
    Sanders05hx.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Sanders06hx.jpg
    Sanders06hx.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Sanders07hx.jpg
    Sanders07hx.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Sanders08hx.jpg
    Sanders08hx.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Sanders11ax.jpg
    Sanders11ax.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Sanders11bx.jpg
    Sanders11bx.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Sanders01hx.jpg
    Sanders01hx.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Sanders09hx.jpg
    Sanders09hx.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Sanders10hx.jpg
    Sanders10hx.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just curious, but how did you come up the prices?

Pulled it out of my butt for the most part. I have no expertise in arrowheads and don't have the time or desire to educate myself on the values. Tried posting one and it sold quickly, so put up more. Do you think I'm way off? Not necessarily trying to get top dollar, but would like a fair price.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled it out of my butt for the most part. I have no expertise in arrowheads and don't have the time or desire to educate myself on the values. Tried posting one and it sold quickly, so put up more. Do you think I'm way off? Not necessarily trying to get top dollar, but would like a fair price.

So, that's why they stink?? lol

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Not really way off, I just thought that some of the really Serrated types would be a little higher compared to what I have seen before. At those prices you should sell them rather quickly I would think. If you knew for sure where they were from I would buy some of them for my States Collection I put together. But not knowing I would just be guessing which state to put them in.

OP
OP
P

PLS

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, that's why they stink?? lol

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Not really way off, I just thought that some of the really Serrated types would be a little higher compared to what I have seen before. At those prices you should sell them rather quickly I would think. If you knew for sure where they were from I would buy some of them for my States Collection I put together. But not knowing I would just be guessing which state to put them in.

LOL... Good to know I'm not WAY off. I am hoping to get most of these sold fairly quickly. Sorry I don't have any more info on the locations where they were found. Grandfather died in 1971, dad died in 2000, and my uncle is elderly and has had many strokes. So there is no one around that knows.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Before you go to a dealer, always do some research first, which isn't hard. Go to eBay, and put in an item to search, with as many details as you can. On the left hand side of the page, scroll down until you see the filters that say "completed" and "sold". Click on "sold". This is a good start for what the current market value is, because they are the actual prices someone within the last 90 days has wanted to pay, as opposed to the asking prices, which mean nothing. The only thing to be careful of, is you need to make sure the sold items are the same as the ones you have. Don't just guess, because one difference could mean a totally different ball game. You don't need to research every item, just enough to know whether a dealer is giving you a fair price and not gouging you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread