254.6 KB · Views: 2,185
Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hopefully it was one that was either engraved wrong to begin with or a broken one that was replaced elsewhere. Finding headstones anywhere other then a cemetery just creeps me out.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Hopefully it was one that was either engraved wrong to begin with or a broken one that was replaced elsewhere. Finding headstones anywhere other then a cemetery just creeps me out.

the cemetery is over 2 miles away from here... maybe there was a divorce of an older couple... and this was the result of that divorce...

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
Did you check under it? Might be a marker of some sort. Other than a body I mean.... :laughing9:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people around here Buried their Dead on their
Land.

I see no reason to believe this is a Pennsylvania Thing.
Could be somone Buried on the land somewhere

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run across that a few times, mostly it seems they were discarded by the carvers, or were from cemeteries that had been moved. A company in Pekin IL where I grew up used to through their mistakes and broken stones out by the tracks behind their shop. I've found them used in stone walls and once as flagstones in a path. Kinda odd that its just laying in a yard though......could be a marker of some sort.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
I've run across that a few times, mostly it seems they were discarded by the carvers, or were from cemeteries that had been moved. A company in Pekin IL where I grew up used to through their mistakes and broken stones out by the tracks behind their shop. I've found them used in stone walls and once as flagstones in a path. Kinda odd that its just laying in a yard though......could be a marker of some sort.

This is probably the reason. I've heard my Dad tell how, when he was a kid (late 1920s early 1930s time frame) they had lived in a house that had old tombstones as part of the front steps and Papa (his Dad) found a couple in the attic. Seems like stones with mistakes was used for the steps and the ones found in the attic were blank. Back then, poor folks got their stones however they could because they were expensive for them. Those blanks were stored for future use and forgotten.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A headstone for my of my great-aunts was found 2 years ago under a porch during remodelling. Stealing headstones seems odd, but so does cemetery vandalism. And that happens all the time.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool post! :icon_thumright: A few years ago I remember finding a number of carved wooden tombstones dating from the late 18th century in an antique shop. :o
I thought, "who's going to buy something as creepy as that to display in their home?" :icon_scratch:

Dave

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid there was a flea market that had three graves with markers in the parking lot. I assume from a home site that existed way before the flea market. The location is now a movie theater and I assume they are still there. The story also appeared in Weird N.J. magazine at some point.

I've also seen a old grave marker used as a door way saddle on a very old home. A little freaky but it was a conversation piece. From the looks of it the marker was there a very long time.

They do turn up in weird spots from time to time.
NJ

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All your answers are good assumptions... I still have no clue why its there... but one thing I noticed... and I do not know how long they have been making them but the fonts and designs and the texture seems to be fairly new... the front of the stone if very shiny (like modern ones) and smooth. Anyone out there know about when gravestones started being made like this?

Chukers

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess, but there is a birth date and no date of death. This could indicate that she survived the husband and remarried. She chose to be buried with her second or subsequent spouse and replaced the stone. This one looks like is was used as part of the wall.

Interesting...

Keep Swinging...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Based on the lichens on the top and sides plus the damage along the top, I'd say this had been there over 10 years. Probably longer.

Since born in 1893, probably died 1963-1973, so it's been there about 40 years, based on average life expectancy. Stone looks like marble, which takes a high shine/polish. Damage along the top of the stone indicates it may be even older: unusual for marble to chip away like that very fast. Just guesses, though.

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
My Dad bought and moved us to our farm some forty years ago; there were three stones dating to the 1880's inside one of the barns. The previous owner didn't say much about them.. a few years later one of our buddies
grandmothers told us there was once a small cemetery on the far corner of our 80 acre spread. I am assuming that during the Depression, that much idle farmland was more than a previous owner could bear..Anyway, pretty sure there's some departed folks 6' under a crop of wheat somewhere in that field....

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txconservative said:
That's weird chuck....

I know... that why I took the picture...

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll just have to ask the neighbor where was hunting... maybe he knows...

Chukers

Lots of neat scenarios you all have come up with!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: :icon_scratch:.... Strange!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking along a beach close to where I live and found a recently built head wall to keep back the highest tides. When I got closer the head wall was made entirely of grave stones! The wall was about 12 feet high and a couple hundred feet long. It was a creep site. Turns out that the person who owns the land protected by the head wall owns Hallowed Memorials, a grave marker factory and these were all mistakes and cast offs. Still a weird site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread