Great spot

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
I have done my research about an old church i my area, built in 1845. Turns out a good friend of mine at work is a well respected member of the church, so I think I'm good on getting the permission part. My question is, how do I go about detecting this place?? There is 40 acres of land here!!! I know this place has been around for some time and I also know that some troops gathered here during the civil war. My buddy has asked some long time members of the church if anyone has ever detected there. As far as anyone can remember, nobody has. So does everyone think I should use less discrimination then I would normally? Should I dig every solid signal? I'm very excited about this. Now I just have to find the time to go!!!! I use a golden sabre plus by tesoro. If anyone has any suggestions, please share, I have never hunted in a place like this before.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, you can bet your rear end that the place has been hunted. A place with that much history has been hit by numerous people. I just go in to every place assuming that it has already been hunted.

Personally, I'm a coin hunter and would try to cherry pick at first to try and find any hot spots or areas that might have older targets than others. Then once I find the spots with the oldest finds I would dig it all since you stated there was some CW history at the site. Of course I wouldn't dig every signal in an area all at once. I would spread it all out so you don't go in there and just destroy the ground. Odds are there are a lot of targets.

Good luck in your hunt!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I hunt some rather large sites. I try to divide the area up into smaller sections. Take your time and try to find where the most activity was by the density of signals. Then work the "busier" areas and the areas directly around them. I cherry pick at first. When I have found the hot spots I go back and start digging the more iffy signals on later hunts.
On larger sites I like to use my handheld Garmin. I mark points on the gps, and download them, and the tracks onto a topo map.
Over a period of time it serves to keep a good record, and sometimes I notices holes in my searches that bear going back through.
It also can really shed some light on the way the property was used. It's also a lot of fun for old geeks like myself.

Good Luck! Sounds like a wonderful site, and the begining of a real adventure into history!

HH
Mark

K

Kentucky Kache

The least disc. you can get by with is what you want. I would start out with very low disc., and then adjust accordingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread