greatgrandpa showed me his cache 20 years ago

dustyhollow

Jul 12, 2010
Roughly 20 years ago when i was only 12, my great grandpa showed me a coin cache he had hidden, roughly 500-750 coins,(some gold if i remember right) and old paper money. He was born in the early 1900's and farmed nearly all his life. Was never rich but lived a good life. I know this cache is still hidden right under other family members noses. Grandpa has been dead for about 20 years, so it makes me wonder if he ever showed anyone else. We have a very small family and have never heard other family members ever talk of this. I would love to have this collection to hold on to, but i think if i open my mouth i will never see it and greed will take over. Instead of a coin cache it will be cashed and turned into booze and cheap junk. I have recently been offered the option of purchasing the family farm where the cache is at, but do i say something before or after this takes place? Would i feel guilty? yes, but did grandpa show just me for a reason? Just want to do the right thing. any thoughts?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy the farm..keep your mouth shut...find it.. and still keep your mouth shut.. loose lips sink ships.. thats what I would do.. what they dont know wont hurt em.

K

Kentucky Kache

Send address to... ;D

Seriously, I would buy the farm and look for the cache. Grandpa must have told you for a reason. If there's any question, ask family members if G. pa ever told them anything out of the ordinary. If their story matches yours, then you have a hunting partner. I wouldn't tell anyone who didn't already know about it.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
buy the farm..keep your mouth shut...find it.. and still keep your mouth shut.. loose lips sink ships.. thats what I would do.. what they dont know wont hurt em.

Excellent advice.

If the property goes up for sale and any other family member knows of the cache you will know that they know by their actions. As you said, maybe he only told you for good reason. :wink:

And, Welcome to T-Net.

OP
OP
D

dustyhollow

Jul 12, 2010
i'm nearly 100% sure no one else knows of this cache. If they did it would have vanished long ago, and last time i checked it was still there. I just talk of this one, but in reality how many did he have. I wish i knew. Old folks that went through the depression didn't trust many people and especially banks. The farm I talk about has never been owned by anyone other than family. The possibilities could be endless.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
P.B. and Dylan said:
Sounds like he wanted you to have it. Good luck dusty.

Yup. Grandpa told YOU for a reason. From the sounds of it, if anyone else knew of it, it would've been gone looong ago.

Buy the farm, if doing so suits you for reasons other than just the cache. Retrieve the cache, and keep yer pie-hole SHUT. Guaranteed, the fight with family over the contents will only make the lawyers any money.

Diggem'

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
What everyone has said . Grab the farm , grab the coin , don't say jack to the others . He was a considering man to have accumulated anything during the times he grew up .
Surely he considered how other family members would appreciate his efforts before he shared such information with a 12yr old .
Don't disrespect the faith he placed in you at that age . He saw something in you that he considered
worthy .
Jim
Welcome to TNet , by the way

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Buy the farm, take the cache. If no one else knows it's there then they aren't losing anything. God forbid you have an accident and NO ONE in your family ever has any of this,
just my two cents worth

grizzly bare

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
dustyhollow said:
If they did it would have vanished long ago, and last time i checked it was still there.

Sounds to me like you know exactly where it is and don't have to
search. If that is the case I would just go get it, as soon as
possible. I found out the hard way what waiting or speculating
get you, it gets you regrets. If after you get it, you still want to
buy the property and hunt for more, you can. However, if you wait and
someone else happens to find it or knows about it and takes it,
how will you feel? Like Diggemall said, the lawyers will get most
of it if you spill the beans and no one else knew about it, no matter
how close you are, money can change anyone. My advice, get it
as soon as possible thereby taking control of the whole situation,
then decide what makes you feel like you are doing the right thing.
Someone could have found it already and not told you!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pronghorn said:
dustyhollow said:
If they did it would have vanished long ago, and last time i checked it was still there.

Sounds to me like you know exactly where it is and don't have to
search. If that is the case I would just go get it, as soon as
possible. I found out the hard way what waiting or speculating
get you, it gets you regrets. If after you get it, you still want to
buy the property and hunt for more, you can. However, if you wait and
someone else happens to find it or knows about it and takes it,
how will you feel? Like Diggemall said, the lawyers will get most
of it if you spill the beans and no one else knew about it, no matter
how close you are, money can change anyone. My advice, get it
as soon as possible thereby taking control of the whole situation,
then decide what makes you feel like you are doing the right thing.
Someone could have found it already and not told you!

Pronghorn is right. Got get the cache NOW and then decide whether or not there are more caches to make buying the farm a worthwhile move.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I would buy the farm if you want it don't say anything about the cache if after 20 years no one has found it and you own the land it is yours and then detect the rest of the land for other goodies but if you think they would just want to cash it in and blow it on booze and such don't tell them. Just enjoy the memories of seeing it the first time with your grandpa and then do what you want with it. If you sell any of it put the money back into the farm I think your grandpa would like that.

OP
OP
D

dustyhollow

Jul 12, 2010
Forgot to mention thay i do currently operate the farm and will be out there later to check on the cattle. If my kids give me a little time alone out there I'll take a couple pictures of this near perfect cache location. As a 12 year old g-pa gave me alot of trust, but my girls are 5 and 6 years old, too young to let them see this. Thanks for all the advise.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
dustyhollow said:
Forgot to mention thay i do currently operate the farm and will be out there later to check on the cattle. If my kids give me a little time alone out there I'll take a couple pictures of this near perfect cache location. As a 12 year old g-pa gave me alot of trust, but my girls are 5 and 6 years old, too young to let them see this. Thanks for all the advise.

I am a land owner...a grandpa.... a treasure hunter and I can tell you for sure that if I show a cache to someone it is because I wish for them to end up with it! There is no other reason for him to show it only to you. The fact that you are the one working the land today, plus the fact that you have not yet touched it is comfirmation that he made the correct decision when he showed it to you. If you can afford to buy the property without using the proceeds from the cache then that is the route to go. There is not a safer place to have it as long as you tell no one where it is. (make a map of its location, leave the map in a safety deposit box....until needed...or you decide which one of your children or gran-child is worthy of it). If you can not afford to buy the property with out using proceeds from the cache, then take what you need. (I would save a few coins and make a ring or neckless for each child as a keepsake) Under no circumstances tell any other family members anything about this! If GrandPa wanted them to have some of it he would of showed it to them or outright giving it to them! I would also advise you to only post pics that do not allow anyone to identify your site...or not post them at all.(even though we would all like to see them its not worth compromising your site)

Oddrock

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He showed you where the cache was located for only one reason.............so you could retrieve it at a later date..Do so and keep thy mouth shut..And as you've already been told, there may be other caches.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Buy the land if you can afford it. If you don't want or need the cache, take out a long-term safety deposit box in your daughter's names. Leave instructions in your will that the safety deposit boxes are for your daughters (or whoever else you want to have them). If you think grandpa hid other caches, search for them while you own the property. Courts have held that caches belong to the property owners unless the owner of the cache can be PROVEN, not likely after 20 years unless he left something written.

I agree with others that you grandfather probably told you about the coins because he wanted you to have them, and may not have told others because he knew what kind of people they already were. Be sure to give thanks!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Connecticut Sam said:
Yes, buy the farm and sell the coins at a coins auction like Stack's in New York City. They have a website.
www.stacks.com

If you have any ifo on bury treasures in Connecticut, I be grateful. [email protected]
There's a listing of 24 leads for Connecticut in Thomas P. Terry's Treasure Map Atlas. Send me a PM and I'll send you some. Are you interested in relics, coins, gold, shipwrecks, pirate, or caches?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do the best advice is.....keep your mouth shut. Tell no one. Only exception is to post a few pics here for us to drool over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread