greatgrandpa showed me his cache 20 years ago

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
I didnt read all the other posts but im sure the responses would be the same as mine.
Grandpa showed you for a reason, He knew your family well and im sure he wanted you to have it. Dont tell anyone at all! Ever!
Enjoy your new farm

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Why say anything, you are taking all the risk. There's no guarantee it's still there or that you'll find it.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
If you are going to buy the farm do it because of the good times that you had their while you were growing up not because of the fact that you think that there are more caches because if there aren't any more you will be stuck with it and will regret it and I think that grandpappy wouldn't be to happy either remember he showed you for a reason you aren't like the others .They say that blood is thicker than water I believe this until it comes to money then you might as well be complete strangers I've seen this. I would rather be on a ship of cut throat pirates then to fight with family over money. Get the cache keep your mouth shut because they can't want what they never new existed. If you need cash for the farm auction enough to cover what you need and leave the rest pass it on to your kids and tell them the story.
Just my .02
HH-drewan

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Two issues"
1. If a family member found it would they share with you and everyone else?
2. Have you really considered that it is still there? Great Grandpa could have
removed it for his own use as he got older. Also he could have told someone
else if he became senile in later life. Don't pay more for the property than you
could resell it for. I have personally worked on 4 caches which were not there
in spite of what the family believed. I have also seen a few recovered, though.
Is there any way you can casually run a detector over the spot?
Good luck, we are wishing you good hunting.
Rich

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Quietly buy the farm before you "buy the farm" and tell the story of what your great-grndpa said in later life. And leave a different treasure behind for someone else the way he did for you. And hope that your other family members aren't reading this post and beat you to the punch.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with all the above great comments. Yes, keep you big mouth shut, or you lose what you had found.

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
I recently went thru a similar situation. In a nutshell, my great uncle left me the property his hidden and not so hidden stashes were located on. For years he had told me things he told no one else. He never really came out and showed me his stashes but would always make comments like this or that place would be a great place to hide something. The house had 2 safes. Both combinations were my birthdate. It was pretty clear after the fact, that he wanted me to find everything. A letter, and some other documents in one safe confirmed this. I really think that you were told for a reason as I was, and you should absolutely feel no guilt. Having a 4 year court fight with greedy relatives helped me get over any guilty feelings I had in a hurry....

Something else you can ponder further. My mother was also left a house. My great uncle told her the same types of things about her house. Neither of us ever knew what the other had been told, and though we are very close, we never talked about it with each other. Maybe there is more than one stash on your grandfathers property. Maybe you have another relative who knows the where-abouts of that stash. If your grandfather thought anything like my great uncle, having just one stash is very very unlikely.......

I also agree with the others keep your mouth shut.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great comments from #29, even family members fight over money. Leave the good ones money in you will, so they cannot take you to court while you are alive.

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
if you know where it is...just go get it....d'uh.....it was there when you last looked....?....grab it for gods sake.....hh

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If you currently work the farm and know where the cache is - GET THE CACHE. Don't worry about buying the farm, don't tell your family. Leave your kids with a sitter or someone so you can get the stuff. (Kids talk) Hide the cache at your place until you figure out how to turn it into "spendable money" if you want that is. Don't take a picture of the place it is - what if your family sees the pic? (sorry everybody) Maybe a picture of the cache itself will be ok. Just not the locatio - or anything identifyable.

Taken from another post and advice elsewhere

Shut up
dig
dig
cover hole
shut up.

Just my opinions. And Good luck.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what "Oddrock" said 100%.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I personally know someone who found a cache, opened their mouth and lost $300,000. Buy the farm, find the cache, and keep your mouth shut - as in forever.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agreewith #34, Karl use to write all the time, keep your big mouth shut, or you may lose all the treasures that you had found.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Questions
Did you trust your Grandpas judgement?
Did you trust & agree with decisions your Grandpa made?

Well.... If you answer yes to these two questions, Honor your Grandpas judgement & the decision he made in showing you the cache! Sounds like he saw something in you he didn't see in your other relatives. It appears you aren't hard up for cash so put some or all away along with maybe some pictures and a little history of the good times you had with Grandpa for your daughters to have when they are old enough to appreciate it. Can you think of a better way to honor your Grandpa?

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
absolutely grab the farm if its still available... and also keep your mouth shut. There is definitely a reason why he told you.

I have seen so many families torn apart over something like this, he probably saw a character trait in you that he valued and felt no one else would have respect for his efforts.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Enjoy the quest, go get your loot. Buy the farm if you would anyway. Oh Yeah, has anyone mentioned that you should be discrete?

It would be nice to know, but it is none of our business. Do let us know, if, it was not there anymore, or, you are fully protected from theft or lawsuits.
Jeff

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
This story makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :tongue3:

Definitely get your hands on it bud. That is for sure !

Keep us updated :]

Tx

grillz

Aug 2, 2009
He definetly showed you his cache for a reason, a very good reason. He trusted you more then all the others and wanted you to have. Don't say and/or tell anyone anything.
Either buy the farm or just go and pick it up. Don't let anyone know about your activities, just do it.

If you want to experience really big trouble and heartache, shoot your mouth off... For starters the lawyers will end up with about 40% if not more. Believe me these b......s will defend you till they can't get another penny out of your pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread