greatgrandpa showed me his cache 20 years ago

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
#1 just go dig the cache up & keep yer mouth shut

#2 go dig the cache up and just sell enough of the cache money to buy the farm --then look for more caches on "your" farm --KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT -- problem solved

or #3--- if you have enough money --buy the farm -- once you own it outright --it and all it contains is "yours" -- then go dig up "your" cache -- still keep your trap shut -- then YOU do with it as you please and as your heart and mind tells you to.(STILL NEVER TELLING FOLKS WHERE THE "GOOD'S" CAME FROM ) -- gramps told ONLY you about it for a reason clearly --if he wanted others to have it he would have told them --and it would have been gone by now.

you say that you were only 12 --about 20 years ago and that your grandfather died also about 20 years ago -- most likely gramps knew he was not long for this world -- but he knew that adults would "rip off" a stash of money left to a 12 year in a will * --so he showed you his stash knowing that when you grew up and were a adult able to defend the stash from others --you would come for it

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
You know where it is and aint dug it up yet? You got more restraint than I do!
OH, when and if you do ever find it...." :-X :-X :-X :-X
Did I mention if you ever find it... :-X :-X :-X :-X

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say buy the farm and keep it in the family and dont say anything about what your greatgrandpa left you....he obviously told you and only you for a reason.....whatever the reason, dont tell anyone.....he wanted you to have it to yourself or he wouldnt have told you anything......just be thankful what he did for you and enjoy the farm......do something with some of the money...start a scholarship for kids who really need it or something to help someone else out.....just my two cents..... :icon_thumright:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it is very telling if you look at the timeline of this thread. The OP came in asking opinions. He knew where it was, and had access to it. Everyone told him to grab it an KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT. His last post was 6 months ago but he is still lurking. I think he is sitting a little bit wealthier and heeding the advice. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

dustyhollow

Jul 12, 2010
ummm. where to start.. I think i read and reread all the posts about 20 times looking for the right advice. I realized this did need to be retreived which was the easy part. Next was what to do with it, i dont really need the money and would rather see my children with it. That is where it got complicated, i am 30 something and a single father for 3 years now after my wife died of cancer. So how do i keep this as a cache while ensuring my children get this? Here is what i did retrieve and make a new cache leaving the instructions for them in my safe. Now my girls have there own cache and someday when they are old enough to trust i will share the story with them. Thanks for all the great advice and sorry i left everyone wondering for six months.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Dusty! I hope that someday, far far away your girls will be very happy with treasure dad left them! :thumbsup:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustyhollow said:
ummm. where to start.. I think i read and reread all the posts about 20 times looking for the right advice. I realized this did need to be retreived which was the easy part. Next was what to do with it, i dont really need the money and would rather see my children with it. That is where it got complicated, i am 30 something and a single father for 3 years now after my wife died of cancer. So how do i keep this as a cache while ensuring my children get this? Here is what i did retrieve and make a new cache leaving the instructions for them in my safe. Now my girls have there own cache and someday when they are old enough to trust i will share the story with them. Thanks for all the great advice and sorry i left everyone wondering for six months.

I am sorry to hear about your wife. That is a wonderful thing you have done, saving it for your children. Our kids are our future. Now make sure that when they are old enough that they know the story and also how you were able to keep it by not telling others about it (except us here who do not know you personally). Good Luck.

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you from personal experience, when it comes to money family will be the first in line to screw you over. Keep the farm and the money.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
first i'd like to say sorry about your wife, second i'd like to say great story and one that actually has a good ending.....most drag on for years :icon_scratch:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustyhollow said:

Awesome!

Were there any gold coins in there?
Also did you buy your Grandpa's farm?

GG~

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we'd love to hear what was REALLY in the cache and did you buy the farm? You made the right decision, glad you put some away for your girls...I'm 42 and lost my husband to cancer when I was 40; sorry for your loss.
Ang

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread