ground balance

kmaz

Jan 6, 2010
Albany ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro deleon,compadre , silver micromax,bandido
hello everyone, this is my first post. I live in the albany N.Y. area and this spring Ive decided I'm going to get into metal detecting. I'm mostly interested in the tesoro brand after my research but I'm not sure if in my area how much of an advantage it would be to have a manual ground balance ... if it is necessary my choices are alot more limited. It will be my first detector and i like the idea of the cibola or the deleon if adjustable balance is not necessary, if it is , ill have to go with the vaquero.
If anyone has any experience in the albany,saratoga, area of upstate N.Y. id appreciate any input.

Kris

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB is always at least a slight advantage because a fixed GB units operates on a basis of just being close. Fixed units work well in most places so chances are it wouldn't be an issue, but if this is a detector you plan to have a while go for the Man. GB. I started with an Auto. GB unit, and still use one and am glad I don't have to deal with it. But if you buy a man. GB detector you'll get used to it and be fine.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
GB is always at least a slight advantage because a fixed GB units operates on a basis of just being close. Fixed units work well in most places so chances are it wouldn't be an issue, but if this is a detector you plan to have a while go for the Man. GB. I started with an Auto. GB unit, and still use one and am glad I don't have to deal with it. But if you buy one you'll get used to it and be fine.

Well put IP. I agree and recommend the vaquero with GB. It is very easy to learn and there are a lot of folks here that can help if you need them. Start out digging every beep because they will all sound the same. As you get used to it, you will notice that all the beeps are "not" the same. Then you will start digging less trash and more goodies.

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
K

kmaz

Jan 6, 2010
Albany ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro deleon,compadre , silver micromax,bandido
Thanks for the replays guys, I suppose i already knew the answer. I really liked the idea of the deleon with a combination of the simplistic display and turn on and go ease of use. or if i decided on no display i figured the ciablo. I guess its either the vaquera or tejon simply because of gb.... thanks

Kris

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
GB is always at least a slight advantage because a fixed GB units operates on a basis of just being close. Fixed units work well in most places so chances are it wouldn't be an issue, but if this is a detector you plan to have a while go for the Man. GB. I started with an Auto. GB unit, and still use one and am glad I don't have to deal with it. But if you buy one you'll get used to it and be fine.

Welcome to the forum. :hello:

IP said it right. A ground balance unit can be used anywhere while a set GB can not. It is very easy to GB too an after you do it you'll wonder what the big deal was. Good luck on which ever model you choose.

Sandman

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Vaquero was my first manual GB machine, nothing to it. Thats a really great machine take the time to learn it.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman an Patch are telling you like it is an they both should know.I myself will tell you don't let the fact you have to ground balance a machine scare you,There is no place in the world that has perfect soil but there a few places that it has heavy mineralization an has hot rocks everywhere like here in Az, where a machine you have to GB is almost a must most of the time . A machine you have to GB yourself here is the way to go because the auto GB machines are all set to the soil where they are made . Buy the machine you want have the dealer show you how to GB it then READ , READ , READ your manual , then read it another 20 times, folks here say it allot an that's because that's the best thing you can do , then if you still have question ask here ,I don't care if you buy a machine that came out last month or 20 years ago somebody has one used one or can tell you about it .Don't ever be afraid to ask a question about any machine we where all new once an we all learn at different levels.

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

PS..The Vaquero is a damn good machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread