What is your detector doing at this hour?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The lightbulb just came on today that both detectors in this house were still resting quietly in the closet waiting for spring...With last summers batteries still installed. I remedied that today but wondered if there was any one else out there North of the beaches that might have also forgotten. Remember your detector is your friend and friends don't let friends get corrosion.

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
mine is resting too right now, however, the batteries are all fresh, ready for a thaw

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sitting next to me as I applied armor all and put the battery's in the charger after yesterday's hunt.

It's a little chilly here, but can hunt year around.

I will tuck it in it's case for a nap later. :tongue3:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The batteries are only in my machine when I am detecting. When I go home after each hunt I always remove the battery and clean the machine and coil. I never leave the battery/batteries in the machine while stored.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both of mine an all my gear are sitting in the truck with new batteries waiting for me to get over being sick so we can get out an head back up north to hit the gold country.

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Mine are lined up on the couch in my office with the coils and everything out. I can see them from my desk. I am cleaning, purchasing accessories and dreaming of my Arizona trip (meteorites) in February. Since I have 4 more months of winter here, I have to travel. Wanted to get away this month, but business is preventing that so far (gotta pay estimated taxes on the 15th).

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Both of mine stay in my truck 24/7/365. I've been leaving my machines in my vehicles for 40 years and have never had trouble out of any of them. I just leave them in there because I never know when I might get a chance to dig.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is resting right now, we just got back from the park.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chomping at the bit to get back out tomorrow in the 18 degree NJ winds for some more finds. its not happy just sitting around. steve

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is hybernating like any smart critter is in my location!
Pagosa Pete

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Has anyone ever had problems after storing their detector in the cold, near freezing, for months? Does the temp matter so long as the batteries are out of the machine?

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I keep mine in my vehicle all the time with the batteries in them. I have had a lot of different detectors over the last 40 years and never had trouble with any of them from leaving them out in the heat or cold.

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Mine are hanging in their special place in the garage. In the 20's here this morning - and my detectors and I are tired of it! We all live, work and play in Florida, dang it! However, I'm certain that this weekend's promise of 70 degree weather will see us together again.
Ruth

Dec 31, 2008
Hollywood, Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D
My detectors are like a pack of hounds.
They are only happy when they are on the hunt.
Right now they are resting in the office of my home, after yesterdays hunt.
Its been cold down here in South Florida but, the hunt goes on.
Yesterday it was 40 deg and windy as hell. Quite uncomfortable but easy to ignore when you're on the hunt.
I hit one of the parks in Hollywood Fl yesterday and within a few hours
had found a pocket full of change, a small spill of all clad at 3", and the usual clad here and there mixed in with a dump truck worth of trash. About $2.50 total. The trash was horrible, almost impossible to hunt in.
I was using an 8" Coil and forgot to bring my 5" trash puck with me. I doubt it would have been much easier even with the 5.

As far as leaving your (electronics) in the cold and heat, Its one of the worst things you can do to them. Expansion and contraction due to temperature change is the worst thing you could ever do to anything that has juice running through it. Its unavoidable down here in Florida where its 98 deg or more in the summer time and then you have to take your unit into the house with the air cond. on at
77-78 deg. Luckily we seem to get away with it.

The second thing is moisture and humidity, it kills things and makes components corrode.
Humidity in Florida really eats up everything. Its the worst part about being here.
The air conditioning seems to dry out the moisture so its not quite so risky.

I wouldn't leave my gear in the garage or the car / truck. I paid too much to take any further risk then what is necessary with regards to the elements and electronics.
I always take the batteries out if the detector after every hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions