Guys what would be a fair offer on this whites metal detector

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to pick up a whites surf master amphibian ii metal detector and i ask the guy how much and he said make a offer and before I make a offer i want to know how good is this detector and what would be a fair offerI know it's water proof and can be used on wet salt sand and is a older machine , below are some pics of it, so need input
Thanks
Jack

Attachments

• image-182066483.jpg
    image-182066483.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image-3146518448.jpg
    image-3146518448.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 304
  • image-242099942.jpg
    image-242099942.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 287
  • image-231686295.jpg
    image-231686295.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 341

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I looked at ebay and reviewed completed listings, this model does not bring in much more than 2-300 dollars.

I would do the same and offer these examples as justification of a price that allows you to get a deal.

The dessicant packs scare me, wonder if it leaks?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get it for under $300 it could be good deal. Offer $100 and see what he counters with knowing it is an older pi.....

It is a good pi detector if it works but I would not pay over $300 in mint...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get it for under $300 it could be good deal. Offer $100 and see what he counters with knowing it is an older pi.....

It is a good pi detector if it works but I would not pay over $300 in mint...

It's not a pi detector but a vlf detector from what I found out

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at ebay and reviewed completed listings, this model does not bring in much more than 2-300 dollars.

I would do the same and offer these examples as justification of a price that allows you to get a deal.

The dessicant packs scare me, wonder if it leaks?

Yea the packs inside scares me too I am going to make my offer based on condition and see what happens

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a pi detector but a vlf detector from what I found out

I was talking about Whites Surf PI. I think the amphibian was just the name on the coil...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offered $140 for it but havn't heard back from him yet so we see

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Chevy be very careful with that machine. I have owned a White Surfmaster since the late 90's. Still working like a gem.
Now on your pictures I blew up the the control box pictures. First thing I noticed it looks like there is rust or debris on the both of the control housing knobs inside the box. They should be clean with no rust. Second thing I noticed was on the last picture of the outside of the control box. The coil and headphone wires where they go into the housing appear to have some type of caulking or black material on them. It gives it the burnt look. I suspect at one point this detector took on water. I don't see a picture of the lid of the housing with the gasket that should be on it.
These are great detectors and I am still finding hair pins at a foot or more. But if it was me I would pass on this detector.

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chevy be very careful with that machine. I have owned a White Surfmaster since the late 90's. Still working like a gem.
Now on your pictures I blew up the the control box pictures. First thing I noticed it looks like there is rust or debris on the both of the control housing knobs inside the box. They should be clean with no rust. Second thing I noticed was on the last picture of the outside of the control box. The coil and headphone wires where they go into the housing appear to have some type of caulking or black material on them. It gives it the burnt look. I suspect at one point this detector took on water. I don't see a picture of the lid of the housing with the gasket that should be on it.
These are great detectors and I am still finding hair pins at a foot or more. But if it was me I would pass on this detector.

Yea I went ahead and passed on it, he wanted too much for it anyways, thanks for the heads up

Jack

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jack, you are correct, it is a VLF machine, and it has certainly seen much better days. I hope this wasn't a friend trying to take advantage of you. If you had bought it, you would have been burned badly. It has the black gasket, which is prone to leaks. It has obviously leaked in the past. These units should have 1 desiccant bag in them, not a handful! It looks like the clevis mounting ears have been broken off and something else glued on. And, as pointed out, the water tight strain relief fittings have been monkeyed with.
Oh, and the headphones are not OEM, either.
In fact, there is much more wrong with this poor detector than is right with it. I'd be surprised if it worked at all!
Good choice walking away, I wouldn't take it if it was free...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread