Whites Eagle II?

Floating_Adrift

Oct 10, 2013
Idaho City
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Gold Bug 2, DetectorPro Uniprobe, XP Deus (love it!), Minelab ProFind.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Eagle II?

Hiya - I recently moved to Idaho and found out that this area I moved to, Grimes Creek, produced a lot of gold historically. I'm thinking about incorporating metal detecting with my hiking.

A couple of months ago my uncle gave me a White's Eagle II metal detector. It had never been used, it was sitting with two others in his closet since the day he bought them.

Does anyone have any experience with this detector? I'm interested in finding out how effective it would be for finding bits of gold or if I should look at finding another detector more suitable for what I need.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many detectors that are better nugget shooters out there like the White's GMT, GMZ, Tesoro LobO, Garrett AT Gold , and the Fisher Gold Bugs but that's not to say that the Eagle won't work. I found my first nugget with an Eagle II SL 90.5 with a GoldFoot coil. My suggestion would be to learn your machine and use a small coil like the 5.3 Black max coil, or the 4"X 6" Shooter coil.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I believe that the Eagle runs at 6.59 kHz. Gold machines run at a much higher frequency that this, so you might be better off using the Eagle for coins and finding a Gold machine.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It won't find gold unless it's a BIG nugget. There are much, much better options for gold hunters. The Eagle was meant as a coin shooter.

OP
OP
F

Floating_Adrift

Oct 10, 2013
Idaho City
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Gold Bug 2, DetectorPro Uniprobe, XP Deus (love it!), Minelab ProFind.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info fellas. I took it out today on a 5 mile hike and did some detecting along a dry creek bed. Found a bunch of trash and a lot of what I guess are just hot rocks. I brought one of the hot rocks back to mess with it to see if I can learn how to filter it out. Now I'm curious about what I could have found if I had a different detector ha!

OP
OP
F

Floating_Adrift

Oct 10, 2013
Idaho City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like having the right tool for the job, rather than trying to make the wrong tool 'work', so I ordered a Fisher Gold Bug 2, so I guess I'll be hopping over to the other forum, ha! I was having too much fun with the Eagle II and figured I would have even more fun with one geared more for what I'm doing.

As for this Eagle II, is there a certain coil that would make this machine compliment the Gold Bug 2 well? Or would even a new sub-$200 detector be more capable than the Eagle II?

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
The eagleII was a $1000 detector in it's day.Much of the technology incorporated in it's design is still in use today.I still use mine upon occasion and still make some great finds.I really don't think a $200 detector would keep up.The weight is really the only downside.Learn to tune it and you won't be disappointed.DBULL

OP
OP
F

Floating_Adrift

Oct 10, 2013
Idaho City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great to hear, thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread