🥇 BANNER GW INAUGURAL BUTTON found today...Still in shock!

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey Everyone! Im still pretty speechless but I was able to get out to one of my favorite spots this evening. The owner gave me permission to do a goat pasture that sits right next to his house so thats where I darted to first. At the far corner of the pasture I got a decent hit on the T2 and out popped this 1789 George Washington Linked States Button!!!!!!!!:o The realist in me assumed that it was just a nicely decorated dandy but after closer inspection I saw GW and long live the president around it....My heart just about stopped!! I was less than a quarter mile from home so I called it a day and speed walked home:laughing7: Its a little bent up but all in all its in fairly decent shape. The shank is still intact and the design is strong! I still haven't flaked all of the dirt off in fear of damaging it. The dirt around here is rough and even water is too harsh for many of my finds. Its hard to believe that horses and goats having been stomping on this thing for over 200 years. This was the only find of the day besides a few pull tabs but it is by far the best find of my 5 years of detecting......
If more or better pictures would be good to include, I would be happy to provide them!
Thanks Everyone,
~Coilcrazy

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    864.7 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 511
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Upvote 63

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a stellar find. I hope you can get back and find additional matching buttons at the same site. You have a difficult decision ahead of you on how to (or even if) you further clean it. I admire the restraint you have shown so far.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You really zeroed in on it too! Congrats!
I don't suppose you have pics of your happy dance or the speed walk home?

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal coilcrazy2, I hunt the same, you never know what you can find in fields,THATS A FIND OF A LIFETIME, Makes me feel like jumping into the car and come up just to see it,,, GREAT JOB,

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow. NICE FIND!!! Seriously, there isn't a way to clean something like that without destroying it? It seems like there would be some way to clean it without damage? I read somewhere that when coins or buttons are first dug, if allowed to dry out with soil on them makes cleaning that much harder. Couldn't you put them in a bottle of demineralized water when you first find them? I was planning on carrying a cleaned Gatorade bottle with demineralized water in it for those awesome finds. I just bought my machine last week, so all I've had to save so far are pull-tabs and ice chunks! That's some amazing history there!!!

200 years of water, freezing and thawing and ground minerals haven't been too hard on it, I don't think a little H2O will put it over the top.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Ben, I was stopping by to vote Banner but I see your already up there. Congrats! Ask the button experts on here how to best preserve it. The guys here are the best.

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Thanks everyone! I never could have imagined that I would be awarded a Banner Find..Its truly an honor. Thank you everyone for your help and kindness:unhappysmiley: I really appreciate all of it!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Beautiful Button.

Please forgive me...But the Banner Photo Say's (too me) "BOOM BABY"

Does anyone know what States G.W.Inaugural Buttons Have Been Dug?
Just wondering what my chances are of digging one here in Georgia.

Good Job Again Coilcrazy.
Davers

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome find Ben! congrats on a great historic piece of Americana! welcome to the club dude!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a neat find!! That is what I likle so much about this hobby, you never know if the next target will be the find of a lifetime.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a neat find!! That is what I likle so much about this hobby, you never know if the next target will be the find of a lifetime.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Unbelievable. Now that is something to be really proud of. Congrats on a truly amazing find.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danvers- that's the awesome part of this hobby, you never know what you'll find or where!
The fantastic is with-in reach! But you have to look, we all need to get out and MD!
Melt snow & ice melt!!!! Faster!!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BANNER! Hogge

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a find! My brother lives in Berks county. We probably will start pounding some Colonial sites out that way. Just gives me the inspiration to head to a different county.

Kirk

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely a heart-stopper! Congratulations on the find and the Banner! And many, many more- HH! Yakker

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy to see such an incredible find made here in Pa. I would be happy with a plain Jane variety of flat button. You've made a historical discovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions