🥇 BANNER GW INAUGURAL BUTTON found today...Still in shock!

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey Everyone! Im still pretty speechless but I was able to get out to one of my favorite spots this evening. The owner gave me permission to do a goat pasture that sits right next to his house so thats where I darted to first. At the far corner of the pasture I got a decent hit on the T2 and out popped this 1789 George Washington Linked States Button!!!!!!!!:o The realist in me assumed that it was just a nicely decorated dandy but after closer inspection I saw GW and long live the president around it....My heart just about stopped!! I was less than a quarter mile from home so I called it a day and speed walked home:laughing7: Its a little bent up but all in all its in fairly decent shape. The shank is still intact and the design is strong! I still haven't flaked all of the dirt off in fear of damaging it. The dirt around here is rough and even water is too harsh for many of my finds. Its hard to believe that horses and goats having been stomping on this thing for over 200 years. This was the only find of the day besides a few pull tabs but it is by far the best find of my 5 years of detecting......
If more or better pictures would be good to include, I would be happy to provide them!
Thanks Everyone,
~Coilcrazy

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    864.7 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 511
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 408
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Upvote 63
OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Thanks everyone so much! Here's a few better close-ups after a little more brushing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 185

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The linked States is a pretty rare GW. I'll have to look up the variety. CONGRATS and welcome to a pretty elite club! I know how excited I was to find my first, and how I wish it were one like yours. Hogge

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
The linked States is a pretty rare GW. I'll have to look up the variety. CONGRATS and welcome to a pretty elite club! I know how excited I was to find my first, and how I wish it were one like yours. Hogge
Thanks for the kind words Hogge! I did a little research and they all look quite similar. I can see mine is the kind with the curled "M" but other than that im not sure.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is on my list of buttons I know I will never find down here! Congratulations and Good Providence on your next hunt.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been looking for one of those! That's a really nice one you found, detail is fantastic. I hope that sets the tone for the rest of your year. I believe that belongs up top and you have my Banner vote.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a terrific button find. I'd love to find that button, but heck, I'll take any GW button. I'm still trying to find my first one.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the GW button. What a special find that is. Great job not over cleaning it. I would leave it just the way it is now. I recall someone else recently found a different variety GW button and did electrolysis on it. Needless to say he pretty much ruined it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my banner vote...congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18k.gif 28.gif

BE CAREFUL CLEANING IT

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an amazing find man! :occasion14:
Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime!

Dave

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome find Coilcrazy2! That button is beautiful! Hope to find one someday soon!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, what a find! it always puzzles me why so many people post that right after making a great find like that, they pack it in and head for the house. I'd want to stick around and look for more. awesome find. congrats!

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. NICE FIND!!! Seriously, there isn't a way to clean something like that without destroying it? It seems like there would be some way to clean it without damage? I read somewhere that when coins or buttons are first dug, if allowed to dry out with soil on them makes cleaning that much harder. Couldn't you put them in a bottle of demineralized water when you first find them? I was planning on carrying a cleaned Gatorade bottle with demineralized water in it for those awesome finds. I just bought my machine last week, so all I've had to save so far are pull-tabs and ice chunks! That's some amazing history there!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread