Status
Not open for further replies.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never owned property in a city, but in the country property lines go to the center of the road. Right of ways or easements are held by the local township, county, village, etc. and give them the right to maintain the road, and run utilities. To say that the Government owns the easement property, is not right..... it wouldn't be an easement.:tongue3: Asking permission is not that bad, permission to hunt an entire property is so much better than looking over your shoulder, waiting for confrontations, and making our hobby look bad.
I get permission about 99% of the time to detect people's yards in my town, so I detect lots of curb strips too.
, and don't have to worry about it.:thumbsup:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
cudamark! See What You Started! ... Too Funny :)

And after all this, we never got to see a photo of the dreaded ring that started this fiasco

And I am still, Sooo done with this thread

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HeyJak; please read our rules, no insults or attacks on members.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Heyjak

Oct 22, 2012
Long island
Detector(s) used
Whites vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HeyJak; please read our rules, no insults or attacks on members.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Just defending the metal detecting code of ethics. we ain't gonna have a hobby with that kind of behavior hope this post within the rules

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can express your opinion just don't insult or attack members....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent the money to install the sprinklers and landscaping and new marathon grass. I did all the work myself and I spend the money to water and maintain it. I wouldn't let some self-absorbed person undo my work. I could care less who owns it!

Heyjak

Oct 22, 2012
Long island
Detector(s) used
Whites vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the money to install the sprinklers and landscaping and new marathon grass. I did all the work myself and I spend the money to water and maintain it. I wouldn't let some self-absorbed person undo my work. I could care less who owns it!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I have hunted easements many times and I don't ask permission. Having worked for telephone companies for years I know for fact homeowners do not own the easements. We have plowed cable down them for miles. Home owners can plant what ever they want there but if they hit a cable they are liable for damages and we can plow or dig right through their garden.. Homeowners do not pay taxes on that strip of land either. . American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
in arkansas you do pay the taxes on that piece of property

L

l2hunt

i'm always amazed how some people can get so upset about a little digging, even when it's not their property!ya pop out a d-shape plug, extract the treasure and flip the plug back down and tamp, no permanent damage! oh well HH

Heyjak

Oct 22, 2012
Long island
Detector(s) used
Whites vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT ABOUT OWNERSHIP. IT'S ABOUT RESPECT DID YOU GET INSULTED WAAAAAA. TRY THAT IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE YOU'll BE SWINGING A WIND CHIME. YOU AND SKIDMARK JUST DON'T GET IT.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread has devolved into such utter nonsense!

First, why are forum rules so difficult to follow?

Second, it's very easy to make macho bluster and threats when you are not in the situation. No, no halfway intelligent person is going to shoot someone, or turn them into a "wind chime", for being in front of their house, even if they've dug a hole up to their shovel handle. Even here in the wild west of a Banana Republic I couldn't get away with that, and you CERTAINLY can't anywhere in the US.

Third, if someone wants to dig in someone else's yard, it's their decision and their problem. However, there may be one really PO'd homeowner and his whole family, and many of his friends and co-workers, and many of his neighbors who will forever have a very bad view of detectorists in general. So, yes, it is bad all who wish to detect, and reflects a very bad light on the hobby in general.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- This is the thread subject that Tom_in_CA is missing out on. I'm sure we will hear from Tom tonight :) I'm done with this thread! ... HH, Good Luck to all, and stay out of trouble :)
He's letting me be the lightning rod on this one! :laughing7:

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm always amazed how some people can get so upset about a little digging, even when it's not their property!ya pop out a d-shape plug, extract the treasure and flip the plug back down and tamp, no permanent damage! oh well HH
My thoughts exactly....such a fuss over such a minor thing. As I mentioned before, I ignore the well manicure sections as there is little chance of return and it's more likely the homeowner is going to be upset. I hunt just the neglected sections that look pretty much untouched for decades. What I do could hardly be called destruction or even damage. I certainly am not "undoing" anybody's sprinkler system or ruining some botanical garden. That's just ridiculous. I find it very interesting hearing the various attitudes about this. I know if I saw someone that was detecting in front of my house in the city owned parking strip, I'd be out the door in a shot too, but I would have a smile on my face! I'd be interested in what they found and what kind of equipment they were using, not in having them arrested. I guess I'm weird that way.....it wouldn't bother me a bit if they wanted to continue hunting that area. I might even join them! It's funny how some people will get their shorts all in a wad about something so trivial as someone removing a coin or piece of jewelry from some grass or dirt on property the don't own.

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are sensitive about "their frontage",even though easements are city property.....the feel only gas,cable or city water can dig anything up....that's what you have to expect even though they are technically wrong.....I only dig easements that do not face the front of houses....and only because I don't want to want to offend a property owner.....when I do dig easements I wear a orange and tan hunting vest that gives an "official" appearance....my favorite easements are the front of old church's and cemeteries and abandoned homes.....better luck in searching future easements.....and CONGRATS on the ring you found......relish

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to lighten up here, when I hunted with a BFO in the early 70s I would pick up police car radio transmissions with my machine. I'd be hunting a school yard and hear a cop saying he was going to investigate an activity at the school I was detecting in my headphones. I'd just wait until he got there and explain what I was up to and he'd laugh and go away. Nobody around here had ever seen or even heard of a metal detector back then. I was surprised to hear the radio transmissions but my hunting buddies used the same BFOs and they heard them too. Built in early warning system!!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
cartoon3.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Rusty-gold, then I'm glad you agree, that as long as someone doesn't "undo" your yard work, well then PRESTO ! No problems. I'm the first to agree with you that as long as we md'rs don't leave any mess, scars, holes, etc.... then wow, we can detect said-spots.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty-gold, then I'm glad you agree, that as long as someone doesn't "undo" your yard work, well then PRESTO ! No problems. I'm the first to agree with you that as long as we md'rs don't leave any mess, scars, holes, etc.... then wow, we can detect said-spots.

There's Tom! He's Back! :)

May I refer you Tom back to post number 23 in this thread ... and I didn't hear any agreement from RustyGold's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread