Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just defending the metal detecting code of ethics. we ain't gonna have a hobby with that kind of behavior hope this post within the rules

and here he is to save us.....

Attachments

• POOOO.jpg
    POOOO.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 68

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So in some distant future when they (the voters) are demanding to take your
right to metal detect away, are we going to stand together or fall apart like here on the forum?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ohio the property owner owns to the middle of the street subject to the easements of the various governmental entities and utilities. At some point in time the owner of the property sold (or through eminent domain) that right to the government or a utility. Easements are different from dedicated roadways which
means the government bought the land outright.

So the electric company has an absolute right to maintain their lines. Ditto for gas, sewer, water and whomever maintains the storm drains.

My house sits about 450' off of the roadway and I had to grant the power company an easement to run their primary line to install a transformer in the proximity of my house. Only the power company has the right to use that easement.....not the city, gas company or the general public.

A public roadway easement is different as it would include the right of the public to walk on that easement as it is essentially part of the road. But it would not include the right for me to take my backhoe and start digging on that easement unless the easement is located on my land. If it is on my land I also have a right to dig! So if an easement is 50' I could measure 25' from the middle to where their easement ends. On that 25' I could dig with the backhoe or landscape as long as I do not harm the improvements or access to them. 26' in from the center only I can dig as the gov. has no right to it.

I would say that the public only has the right of ingress and egress and not the right to dig. On a dedicated roadway the public owns the land which is different from merely has access rights. On the dedicated roadway it is no different that any other public land.

Is there any difference digging a small hole (plug) different from a large one (backhoe)? Kind of like asking if laws on open burning apply to lighting up
a cigarette? It is still a fire with burning materials. A reasonable plug would be like the cigarette.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there any difference digging a small hole (plug) different from a large one (backhoe)? Kind of like asking if laws on open burning apply to lighting up a cigarette? It is still a fire with burning materials. A reasonable plug would be like the cigarette.

I agree. There has to be a modicum of common sense on all sides of this. In light of what I just said, I suppose it does boil down to respect of the homeowner's "personal space" (or what he perceives as his space), if nothing else. However, many times homeowners and caretakers tend to get a King-Of-The-Hill mentality and feel they have to wield whatever power they envision having. Even if they're in the right, it is not necessary to become total jerks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So in some distant future when they (the voters) are demanding to take your right to metal detect away, .....

The only reason voters would do such a thing, is a) if those dastardly md'rs are creating damage [in which case, shame on those individual md'rs NOT the rest of us], and b) if the md'rs have made themselves a giant bullseye in need of attention. Ie.: going at high noon in drought conditions while scores of people are out for a block-party on that street.

I mean, Rusty, everything you're saying would apply to regular parks and beaches too. I mean, sure: if we make holes, messes, and are waltzing over beach blankets, SURE the "voters" will invent some law.

But no, I am not being an eyesore (I detect and low traffic times), and am not making a mess. I assume this goes for other md'rs too. If not, they need to return to target-recovery [and discreetness] 101 class.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o im going to have a party in your easement because you dont own it or sleep over nite out there : bottom line you will get the hose turned on you period : im telling you politely I'm watering my lawn first then here it comes sucker ... I live in gangland , that poop wont fly here VATO

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was, I'd want to know what detector he was using?:laughing7: My second thought was, is he going to come back and water those plugs before they are dead? No offense to any of the members here! Tom you can plug my yard as long as you water and fertilize when you are done. :laughing7:
I was using an E-trac. The grass was already dead so no possible harm. Since you've probably already hammered your own yard, I don't think you'll have too many takers on the hunting offer! :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

oops, double post. Deleted.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend there be no more insults thrown... HeyJak your other thread was started to attack this thread and members in this thread. It was locked for that reason.

Please take the time to read our rules, do not insult or attack other threads or members...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I rarely "like" posts, but this my friend was worthy! Great story and congrats on the ring!

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Donneybrook. Looks like the "likes" are at least a 2-1 favorite from what I can see. It surprised me a little that it wasn't higher with members of our hobby. I was a little disappointed they locked the other thread. I hope it wasn't because of what was said, or hinted toward me and this thread, but I fear it probably was. I have a fairly thick skin and don't care if someone wishes to express their disapproval of what I chose to do. I'd just as soon have them air their concerns instead of letting them stew in silence. At least you know where they're coming from and can gauge support on both sides from a lively debate. If you dig deep enough in the discussion, it looks to me that were all in favor of avoiding negative press if we can. The rub is where you draw the line. I chose to hunt everywhere I can legally do so while dedicated to being a responsible hunter. Some may think that ANY detecting is irresponsible. Others may think even historical sites are fair game. Most of us are somewhere inbetween. Frankly, I've had many more contacts with police in a park or school than I have in parking strips. Never have I been threatened with arrest. Most of the time they are just responding to a phone call concerned about our activity. So be it....people are curious. When we explain what we're doing, in most cases they just tell you to have fun and good luck. At worst, they just tell us to move on so they don't have to come back. Fine, we just go somewhere else to hunt that day and return months later at a different time of day. No point in getting into an argument about it even when we're in the right. BUT, It's not going to deter me from hunting that site if I think it's worth while. If it did, I might as well take up another hobby as ANY site can have complainers. Like I mentioned before, I've had people complain to me about sifting sand at the beach....in the middle of the night! The wet blankets are everywhere and unavoidable. Just take it in stride, smile, and wave.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread