Halloween haul

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked up with Phil(Bergie) at an old Circus/Fair grounds we wanted to try out. The place is now home to low rent housing and in a not so desirable area. He was detecting when i arrived and didnt seem impressed with what he was finding (clad) The lookie loos were peeking out of the blinds and assembling on their porches, so fearing a sniper attack we decided to head for the swimming hole. Bergie nailed a nice washie quarter (1941) and some wheaties. I ended up getting no silver but pulled two pocket knives (one still in the leather case) circa 1900-30's but don't quote me on that, as these babies are too far gone to ever ID. A colonial era buckle, an "old hickory" 7th pres of the USA cracker jack token, a cool faceted red glass reflector of some sort and 6 wheaties (1929-1941) All said, it was a nice fall day and you should have seen the looks from passing motorists as we were both wearing Shrek costumes while detecting.? :D ;D

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
We had a great day in the NY area. High 60s and clear skies. It's pretty much official now that we've cleaned out the old swimming hole. Time to find another good site. I also hit a 1919 Mercury dime today, but we've been over the place many times and there's little if anything left. What we really need is a way to dredge to bottom of the creek. There's got to be a load of loot down there based on what we've found on land. I'll post a photo of the silver from that site soon.

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC
Phil, Bergie, True_Metal,

Just a thought. I grew up in upstate NY near Watkins Glen and every year the creeks there would flood their banks several times every year. Is it possible that a lot more loot, possibly even more than whats been found could be 100-200 feet down stream on the banks? Like I said, justa thought but may be worth looking into.

Rob

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Rob.8) Anything is possible i suppose, but most likely once the coins hit the water they stayed in it. This creek does flood as evidenced by the banks but it is slow moving. I think the coins that were lost in the water are on the bottom covered by silt, sand, cobble. The part we are interested in the most is a deep hole right under where an old bridge used to be. Any coin lost there would go straight down in the silt and be well preserved if it could be recovered. Diving equipment would be needed for this deep hole This spot is very old and colonial. The bottom could be littered with preserved colonial coppers and silvers not to mention more modern silvers. Thanks for the suggestion 8)

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Way to go on your Halloween Haunt(I mean hunt!) ;D

It was a beautiful evening everywhere I think. My son and I just returned from a Ghost Tour of Aiken. Got some interesting historical facts. So many places I would love to hunt! Just got to find the right people to ask!

Going hunting tomorrow at the local park I've been hitting lately. They just had a carnival there Sat. Wish me luck!

Happy Hunting everyone!

Moon

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting