🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored a new permission on saturday. Wandered around a bit and then got a deep squeeker around the copper penny range and i was surprised to pull out a pounded and cut spanish silver. Some type of cob. I think it says 69 where the date usually is. Cant tell the denomination and i gave it to the resident because he sometimes acts as a pirate. These pics were all i could get. It was pretty thick so im thinking more then a 2 reale. What do you guys think?

I also picked up a 1941 washington while i was there but whoop dee do

IMG_1674.PNG
IMG_1676.PNG

Upvote 24
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find! :occasion14:

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tossed many a mercury dime and indian head penny to kids and land owners, but I would hide a 2 reales cob in my butt if that's what it took to keep it. Your selflessness is incredible.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
odd shapes are the norm for cob type coins all of which being hand made would be "hammered"... the tic tac toe type design -- with a 69 would be 1669 ..and to only get a partial strike is also sadly way too common as well --so long as the silver purity % and general weight was right the strike meant little to most folks at that time --as it was the metal value that mattered

your clearly honest and trustworthy nature will of course get you to the right to redetect the land and will be spoken of to his near by "friends" so who knows what land it might open up for you in the future?

looks to be a 1 reale by weight

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave a property owner sa barber dime that I found in his yard last week...yea,not near the same sacrifice. Lol
Giving up the Spanish silver would have been rough but good on ya.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct... 1 real.

Missing a piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The middle line spells out PLV-SVL-TRA; or Plus Ultra meaning Spain's claim to more land beyond their shores; i.e. The New World.
Don......

Thanks Don! Your info it veryy helpful!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o That was a great save.......hopefully there is another!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
where there is one --there might be more --- finding a old coin can possibly mean the area was used by humans around that time frame ,,,if so there could be more stuff there --humans tend to be messy and lose things and leave things behind --if you find iron debris for sure look around that --iron often leads to gold and silver --iron is the most common sort of human used area --trash metal

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not going too far. Even though i gave it away i still found it!

I'm the same way, finding it is all the matters to me, I don't mind giving it away at all, in fact that's part of thrill too. I found a beautiful condition walking liberty half last fall that I immediately turned into a necklace that I gave away as a gift!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find! Can they be found anywhere? I’m from PA. Never found one before and don’t know anything about them.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where there is one --there might be more --- finding a old coin can possibly mean the area was used by humans around that time frame ,,,if so there could be more stuff there --humans tend to be messy and lose things and leave things behind --if you find iron debris for sure look around that --iron often leads to gold and silver --iron is the most common sort of human used area --trash metal

For sure, Ive been back once and picked up another 1941 washington and a rosevelt dime but im sure there is older. I know the area and its not too far away from where the founders of our town landed back in 1640. The house dates back to that time period as well. Ive done my homework :laughing7:

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find! Can they be found anywhere? I’m from PA. Never found one before and don’t know anything about them.

Not everywhere but who really knows? A lot of them are holed which means people wore them as necklaces or had them on a lanyard of some sort. So they could have traveled far and wide and dropped them who knows where. Id think you could find some old spots in PA to find these. Just remember the US didnt start minting coins until the late 1700s so any property that dates back to the mid 1700s or earlier has a higher probability of having some of those coins. Ive found plenty of mid 1700s british and spanish coins but to get into the 1600s is pretty awesome. Good luck, im sure theyre out there!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not everywhere but who really knows? A lot of them are holed which means people wore them as necklaces or had them on a lanyard of some sort. So they could have traveled far and wide and dropped them who knows where. Id think you could find some old spots in PA to find these. Just remember the US didnt start minting coins until the late 1700s so any property that dates back to the mid 1700s or earlier has a higher probability of having some of those coins. Ive found plenty of mid 1700s british and spanish coins but to get into the 1600s is pretty awesome. Good luck, im sure theyre out there!

Amazing! I do hunt an old field from the early 1700s. So if I’m understanding correctly, this type of coin wasn’t used around here? What was being used in the 1600s/1700s?

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People would use these coins or british coinage mostly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread