Hanging up the bgt

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the super mini is great for prospecting, but when you're ready for heavy duty production you need a Prospector/Miner.

I just shoveled my ass off for a few hours, got some nice flakes! Although the spot is well know and very well worked. Love Montana City on the Platte.
And my 48 inch prospector :)

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P70, you are one smart cookie!!! My friend did have a CalSluice! Not sure of the model though. Yea I think I'm overloading the Super Mini. My friend was digging with a small kitchen pot and I was using my hand dredge, I should have beat him hands down as one pull of my dredge was like 3 of his pots full. Quite depressing!

Well the rain came then the flood and it filled in my 4 ft deep hole that I just made it down to bedrock in. Oh well... More exercise. LOL!!!

YES, I'd love the Prospector! I wanted it first but just couldn't afford it. Sure wish I could find someone wanting to downsize! ;)

Can you tell me how to build my dam to maximize the flow. I can't seem to get the trap to fluidize well. It may seem to be doing fine then I put in a small scoop and then it doesn't seem to be fluidized at all anymore. etc.

Attachments

• image-379090186.jpg
    image-379090186.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 132

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sherry if the trap isn"t fluid. I always go for a steeper angle. Always works for me.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 36 " prospecter. I find that were the grizzlys start to flatten out. If the bgt is fairly flat the box will load up. But if you can incline the bgt. At a decent angle you will get some of the top water flow. To go into the box. Instead of over it. Helping to move some of the material out of the box. I don"t think the size makes any difference. Its just easier to get an angle. With a smaller bgt. Ive had the same problem. And always go for more angle. And more water speed never hurts. Hope this helps.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P70, you are one smart cookie!!! My friend did have a CalSluice! Not sure of the model though. Yea I think I'm overloading the Super Mini. My friend was digging with a small kitchen pot and I was using my hand dredge, I should have beat him hands down as one pull of my dredge was like 3 of his pots full. Quite depressing!

Well the rain came then the flood and it filled in my 4 ft deep hole that I just made it down to bedrock in. Oh well... More exercise. LOL!!!

YES, I'd love the Prospector! I wanted it first but just couldn't afford it. Sure wish I could find someone wanting to downsize! ;)

Can you tell me how to build my dam to maximize the flow. I can't seem to get the trap to fluidize well. It may seem to be doing fine then I put in a small scoop and then it doesn't seem to be fluidized at all anymore. etc.
Hahah nice!

Check out some of the dams in this thread:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/427285-bgt-s-work-photo-gallery.html

Basically I wedge in place and make sure it won't float away. From there I build outwards to direct as much waster as needed/possible on both sides. Think of a big V with your sluice at the bottom of the V. Sometimes you can get away with only one side of the V or sometiimes you have to wall off the whole creek to get your sluice to flow right (or so I've read. I'm a river sluicer, never had a water problem). But I also build a dam to block the current from where I'm shoveling (Careful not to interrupt your bgt wing dam water flow though), and sometimes I use the tailings to build a third dam (To help wash tailings away) ((Not too close to the back of the sluice though)).

You want to force as much water as possible to go through your sluice point, block off everywhere around it where the water is bypassing your dam if you need to.
I should draw a picture and upload it. I'll do that and upload it tomorrow.

Also don't forget to kick it all to pieces when you are done ;)

Best,

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so here's our mini river's issues. The "other people" who visit this river build serious dams every 20 feet or so and dig it out deep on the up sides to form a pool for their kids. So without major engineering and rock repositioning requiring significant time away from digging it is very difficult to form a V-Dam in those holes. So, having said that, what about if I build the V-Dam leading downstream from the drop offs say 3-4 feet down then dig out a trough behind the BGT for the tailings???? Any other ideas on how to deal with this???

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the material that should be going in the trap is going over the grizzlies your trap is not fluidized enough. Sometimes it can be tricky.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the material that should go into the trap and is going "over " the grizz...too much flow or drop. Or a rock laying on the wires.

If the material going "into" the trap isn't exchanging properly in the trap...i.e. the trap is filling too much..and packing. You don't have enough flow or fluidization.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equally important to the amount of water flow entering the box...is a place for the tailings to go after they leave the box.

dbritto1969

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a homemade Zook and recently baught a super ming both catch big and fine love them both!

Attachments

• 1462378496616.jpg
    1462378496616.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 1462378512535.jpg
    1462378512535.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 151

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More flow? Heard you loud and clear

TheGoldProspector,
Sounds like you need a set of the "sluice Aileron" (wings).
They really do work well to increase your flow, especially on the Mini's and Snipers.
Check em out on Ebay.

Sluice Aileron kit _pic1a.jpg

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If stones 2" and less are not clearing on their own with the water flow then either the flow is low or the angle is wrong. If the bazooka isn't working for you then you don't have it setup correctly. You need to dial in the water flow and angle before proceeding. Use a few test shovel fulls of material through the BGT to check for both how well the Grizzlies clear and how loose the fluid bed is packed. You have to stick your fingers in the trap occasionally to make sure the fluid bed material stays loose. Once you have achieved this then start shoveling your pay dirt.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree , definately not eough flow and it should be level side to side .

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had tested my tailings behind my BGT a couple of months ago but I'm running it much more aggressively now so I went out last week with a second sluice, one with riffles. I setup the BGT and then set up my second sluice directly under the end of the BGT to catch 100% of what was coming off the BGT. Took awhile to get it all running right but afterwards I ran 5 full 5 gallon buckets through the system. At the end of the run I had nearly .5 gram in the BGT and 2 very small specs in the riffle sluice. That is running the BGT with a little incline and lots of water, where the dirt is moving too fast to see any gold sliding down and where 2" rocks go over the grizzlies, except flat rocks that tend to get caught up on the grizzlies and need to be swiped off. I can't see the tubes through the grizzlies because the material in the box is all the way to the lip of the skid plate but I can easily push my finger through the material and feel the tubes through the end of the trap.

Better to lose a little gold and run lots of dirt than to run a little dirt and get all the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread