Have Drones affected your treasure hunting?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's part of the problem of old vs. new. Not too long ago most things flying R/C took someone 60 to 600 hours to put together. Now you can go drop your credit-card on the counter and walk out of the store (or just make an on-line purchase) and be ready to fly after charging the batteries. The manufacturers are in China but the distributors actually call them "Bind-n-Fly" or "Plug-n-Play" aircraft.

"Disposable" aircraft easily replaced - if a somewhat expensive way to play. Generally speaking if you know six months of your free evenings will be tied up in a do-over you fly a little more cautiously.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have alot of respect for anyone who would put in that many hours putting one together. I'm sure it isn't that type of person that most everyone worries about abusing personal airspace. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to drop one with a few well placed shots myself. I've hit alot smaller things flying alot faster.

They dont look like they have alot of meat on 'em. Hate to waste ammo......so keep 'em high or keep 'em away.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He with the best drone owns the airspace.

I hear what your saying, but had to point out that this is MDR-80 footage from an AH-64D. You can tell by the TDU symbology, the orientation of the AGM-114 ripple, the fact that there is recorded audio present, and the DEAD giveaway is the following salvo of 30mm.

Cool video, made me reflect back a bit.

~Tejaas~

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome video.

Still - popping individuals with $102,000 Hellfire missiles seems a bit uneconomical. We need to come up with an AP missle.

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Annoying. Apparently there is a company where I used to live that makes them. Last summer, I noticed while detecting in a wooded park, a helicopter kept going over head. Eventually, I got irritated and kept saying, that thing sounds like a lawn mower. Maybe it was someone's RC helicopter, but it looked pretty hi-tech, although noisy. At first I was staring at it going from point A to B, and then, realizing that the for the size and sound of it, it could not be a full sized craft. Also, considering that the city abandoned their 'news and police' helicopter programs quite some time ago(I wonder why?), leaving only the EMS chopper for the hospital...I know it wasn't the hospital chopper. Perhaps we couldn't call this a drone, but I can imagine how annoying they might be...and those controlling them.

if your being 'visited' maybe punk kids are doing stupid kid stuff or gov agencies are using drones, gov drones = letting you know something is in the area. Use their stupidity to your advantage.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You do that to my drone and you will be talking with the Sheriff. Again, because you do not like new technology does not give you the right to destroy it if it is being operated within the law. Please give us the legal definition under the law of "nuisance pilot". Just making up stuff as you go along won't serve you well, know the law! You do not own the airspace over your property.

Wrong, Perry Mason. We have a reasonable expectation of privacy on our property. If you invade my airspace with a drone you better keep it out of range of my Remington 1187, because I will take it down.

gmarcucio

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also fly RC and own a drone. A DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus. I really doubt it was going "40 mph" It may have seemed like it but few have that ability and even fewer would risk their $$$ drone just to buzz someone. I could see it with one of those cheap ones but then they are lucky to hit 15 mph with the wind. I've used mine to map out locations without having to do all that walking and to do some videos on detecting. Like anything else it is the user that takes responsibility for their actions and not all drones, or fliers, are bad.

View attachment 1115307

Here is my Youtube channel with some of my drone videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfJZHEpNVSQX8n1nFL8ttD6QCpdxwnB4S

I too have the Phantom 2 vision plus drone. I plan to use mine to browse the corn fields very close to he ground for indicators of pottery and brick where old establishments might have been. Also could prove valuable to look over tree lines to see what's on the other side to metal detect.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring it....I'll be waitin'.... anti-aircraft gun.jpg

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People who think drones are evil and their only purpose is to spy on people are fooling themselves. They fear what they do not understand. Same thing happened when Elvis started putting music out. And if you make claims about drones spying on you, where are the photos of this going down? Cameras are on every phone, so....

If someone were to shoot down my drone being operated in a legal manner, they would be facing a lawsuit. You do not own the airspace, nor do you have the legal right to destroy other people's property simply because you fear a new technology.

The problem is that the "pilot" was flying his drone over the OP's head at less than 5 feet which is not only dangerous but also illegal. The FAA already passed a law banning FPV flight which this guy was obviously doing. If it was me out there not only would the drone be smashed but so would his front teeth. Weather you are AMA or park flyer, you should never fly over other people, and it's true that inexperienced quad flyers are going to ruin the hobby for other responsible pilots.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You do that to my drone and you will be talking with the Sheriff. Again, because you do not like new technology does not give you the right to destroy it if it is being operated within the law. Please give us the legal definition under the law of "nuisance pilot". Just making up stuff as you go along won't serve you well, know the law! You do not own the airspace over your property.

Activists? drone shot out of the sky for fourth time | sUAS News

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also flying FPV requires a HAM license in the USA, how many of these idiots who buzz you would you think have one of those?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread