Have Drones affected your treasure hunting?

gmarcucio

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to fly about 3 feet off the ground over a tilled corn field and view the ground for indicators to metal detect. I want to fly over brush in search for old foundations that would normally be hard to walk over. I want to use new technology to my advantage in this hobby. I don't want to shoot anyone, or drop my drone on anyone, or spy on anyone. I'll save all of that for another forum on Drones or something like that!!!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ya!! I was just jokin' around....:headbang:
I just want to fly about 3 feet off the ground over a tilled corn field and view the ground for indicators to metal detect. I want to fly over brush in search for old foundations that would normally be hard to walk over. I want to use new technology to my advantage in this hobby. I don't want to shoot anyone, or drop my drone on anyone, or spy on anyone. I'll save all of that for another forum on Drones or something like that!!!

gmarcucio

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem I figured you were just jokin' around!!! This is an awesome hobby I've been metal detecting for about 25 years now. Have not been doing much for about the last 5 years as I have been too busy at work. I'm looking forward to retiring soon and getting back into the hobby full time as I really enjoy it. I love technology and the Drone think just happened all of a sudden when a friend of mine purchased one and I got interested in one and purchased. I then started thinking how I could use it metal detecting!!! I love hunting corn fields as much of my great finds were taken out of corn fields that have been tilled up. As I am approaching 60 years old now the Drone will be cool for cruising the fields checking out the sights for me. At least I think it will? Haven't had a chance to try it yet because in upstate New York here we are still in winter with cold temps and snow and freezing rain the weather really stinks here!!! I'm looking forward to being active on this forum as I slowly get back into detecting. I'm going to need a new detector also as I am currently using a Whites Eagle II. Any suggestions on what I should purchase???

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been retired for about a year and a half....I'm lovin' it!! The only thing is though, ya run outta money before ya run outta fun!!

I currently have an M6 with the 6 x 10 DD Eclipse....man it's a coin hawg!! I would like to purchase an MXT All-Pro, but I may have to sell some stuff to be able to afford it.:occasion14:

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting thread if some one was buzzing me with one dangerously close I would throw my digger at it, lol.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man there are a couple people who sound like little califoricators "I'll sue you, I'll sue you! WAAAA WAAAA I guess the morals of that state have spread through out the country. Grow up and have some respect for your fellow man if you are flying low over private property with a recording device depending on were your at it can defiantly be viewed as voyeurism and that's a felony in many jurisdictions!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FPV does not require a HAM license in the US. At lower (cell phone) transmission wattages for private use it is unregulated except near airports (operator must keep model below 400 feet above terrain). AMA (no enforcement authority - voluntary to members only) mandates you have to have a spotter in visual contact with the aircraft at all times and that it not overfly people, or structures without owner's consent.

$320 and you can put it on whatever you like.

Ultra Micro First Person View (FPV) RC System with Fat Shark Headset | Horizon Hobby

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pellet guns are cool

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FPV does not require a HAM license in the US. At lower (cell phone) transmission wattages for private use it is unregulated except near airports (operator must keep model below 400 feet above terrain). AMA (no enforcement authority - voluntary to members only) mandates you have to have a spotter in visual contact with the aircraft at all times and that it not overfly people, or structures without owner's consent.

$320 and you can put it on whatever you like.

Ultra Micro First Person View (FPV) RC System with Fat Shark Headset | Horizon Hobby

Yeah except most FPV gear runs well beyond that and technically does require a ham license, for example my own runs 900mhz at 800mw, but I do have a ham license.

I have a multirotor business that I started in the early days of multirotors, and in fact I think I probably produced the very first airframe designed specifically for FPV (Called the HT-FPV at the time), but since then china has been knocking these toys out so cheaply and quickly that it's killing the hobby. Yes everyone can do it now which is nice, but that is also the down side, that everyone can do it. A friend of mine purchased at DJI Phantom Pro, and I warned him to stay under 400', not fly over people, and to generally be careful. He agrees, then sends me video of him flying at 2000' over down town sarasota, nearly 3 miles away from where he launched, and had a helicopter fly under him. This hobby will eat itself soon, it will take only one accident with an aircraft. Don't worry about private drones following you, that freedom will end very soon IMO. Maybe in a few years.

Regarding harassment by drones, you can't shoot down someone's drone, however they do sell net guns. You could catch the drone and totally annoy the pilot by making him come retrieve it :)

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People who think drones are evil and their only purpose is to spy on people are fooling themselves. They fear what they do not understand. Same thing happened when Elvis started putting music out. And if you make claims about drones spying on you, where are the photos of this going down? Cameras are on every phone, so....

If someone were to shoot down my drone being operated in a legal manner, they would be facing a lawsuit. You do not own the airspace, nor do you have the legal right to destroy other people's property simply because you fear a new technology.
=====================================================
Not to start anything
But if you "buzz" me like the OP had done by someone,,,
I GUARANTEE that thing would be having a "major malfunction".

And YES,,, PREDATOR DRONES are being used in US airspace to "spy", "watch" or "keep track" of whatever they want. And it is more prevalent than most think.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Back when we were kids, we used to go to a forest preserve where they flew model airplanes. There was a sign at the entrance that said "No transistor radio's allowed". I'm talking the old transistor radio's. Remember, the one's that worked and had a strong signal no matter where you were. Not like the digital crap of today. Anyway, I had a transistor radio, I think I used duct tape or something to fix it to the handle bars of my bike. Just for the hell of it I took it off and pointed the antenna towards one of the planes, and oops, down it went. I'm not sure if I did it, but it was flying fine until I did that. So, I'm not telling you what to do, but if you have one of the radio's..................................................................

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This hobby will eat itself soon . . .

I agree. Trouble is it will take a great hobby that's been around 60 years right along with it. I see there is now a proposal that all aircraft over 9 ounces will have to be issued a Federal registration number that must be displayed on the airframe. And of course there will be a fee, plate or letters to buy, annual renewal . . . more $ and lord knows how much tax money to regulate.

Brings the question of what, exactly, is a drone? Is a radio controlled sailplane a drone? Is a R/C car or powerboat a drone? Broad definition of "drone" is an unmanned vehicle.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoken like a true Yankee! You can take the man out of NH but you cant take the NH out of the man. Last storm we had a branch fall off a tree, but it was still attached by a few stringy bits, so it was just flopped over and hanging straight down. The wife was complaining (read: *****in') about it, saying I should get the big ladder out and saw it off and drag it off so it won't spoil her view of the bird feeders. I didn't say anything and went to the safe and pulled out my Remington SP-10 (10-gauge), and gave that limb a couple good blasts. Done.:laughing7:

My Dad used his 12 gauge to get mistletoe out of trees for Christmas.
No Drones around back then or they would be on the ground also.
Marvin

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya don't forget the insurance you will be required to purchase just in case you down a person, plane, bird, etc.
They will probably make at lest 2 classifications and charge accordingly....it's always about money. :(

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI, the radios these things use are 2.4ghz spread spectrum, so it's extremely difficult for them to lose the control signal... also, most all use GPS and have return to home, so they will simply fly home when they lose radio signal and will land exactly where they took of from. There is a small crowd who does FPV racing and they fly very low and very fast on a closed course, and they are generally not a problem.

In the old days, radios were running on a single channel, AM radio, a simple CB radio could knock them out of the sky. Times have changed.. I'm certain they could resist most interference short of a spark gap transmitter.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good members, shoot them down. Now for the good news, these drones with cameras can be use for treasure hunting, including above ghost towns, and around where you believe where treasure is buried. Good luck and good hunting.

dr1ftd1gger

Dec 19, 2013
I hate drones. Nobody can even go outside and recreate without their peace of mind being effed with. Its harassment. Makes me wanna hide inside like a hermit crab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread