Have Drones affected your treasure hunting?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And should that drone be less than 80' I'd not blame you a bit. I'm just pointing out that the law says a drone can be flown over pretty much all but airports as long as they are 80' or higher. Period. Shooting one down becomes a matter of breaking the law yourself. Most people don't realize they do not own the shy above 80' even if it is above their property. Until the law get changed that is the way it is. Personally only a irresponsible drone pilot would do such a thing in the first place, but, they are out there.

I won't argue with you at all... your probably right (are). My rifle scope on the .22 mag doesn't know the difference between 60' or 80' looking up. Nor do I care. As you said... "only a irresponsible drone pilot would do such a thing in the first place" and your right. But if someone was that irresponsible 80+' wouldn't even hit my radar while it hovered and I aimed. I'm not calling the law.... that pilot is if it's important to him.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my drone to find cellar holes.. When there is a a few inches of snow on the ground the cellar holes show up quite nicely from 500 ft up.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Number 4 or number 6 shot??:dontknow:

Well now T.C.... While either one of those choices would do the job on a drone under 100' I still prefer the .22 mag. It's real quick and mine is very quiet. Not only that but it would be a little more of a challenge sitting on the deck with a cold beer squeezing off a shot or two...and...if I happened to miss I could still reach way out there for a long time.

Besides I have to set a good example for the grandkids... I don't want them to think Grandpa couldn't hit an irresponsible drone operators drone out of the air while drinking beer and shooting a rifle... What kind of example would that set...? :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my drone to find cellar holes.. When there is a a few inches of snow on the ground the cellar holes show up quite nicely from 500 ft up.

Better recalibrate to 400 ft & less with the new FAA regulations.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Charlie.... Without me spending all day searching the net... how much would a descent drone cost with a real time camera attached cost? I live IN THE WOODS with no other homes around and thought it would be fun to fly above these trees and look at the river also way below me. I'm VERY naive on these and was just wondering. Thanks.... Brad (Post here or PM if you have an idea or thought).

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now T.C.... While either one of those choices would do the job on a drone under 100' I still prefer the .22 mag. It's real quick and mine is very quiet. Not only that but it would be a little more of a challenge sitting on the deck with a cold beer squeezing off a shot or two...and...if I happened to miss I could still reach way out there for a long time.

Besides I have to set a good example for the grandkids... I don't want them to think Grandpa couldn't hit an irresponsible drone operators drone out of the air while drinking beer and shooting a rifle... What kind of example would that set...? :laughing7:

I bet you couldn't hit this!:laughing7: 38" wide.

DSCN9775.JPG

At the field I fly (crash) this....A drone followed it. The drone did very well, I did not realize they were so fast!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet you couldn't hit this!:laughing7: 38" wide.

View attachment 1263210

At the field I fly (crash) this....A drone followed it. The drone did very well, I did not realize they were so fast!

Wanna bet....? I'll take that bet with a 30 second warning and anything within 150 yds with the .22 mag. I bet I'd greatly surprise you.... :laughing7:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Dang an old brushed motor Stryker. Oh the money I spent on those, in the quest for speed. My best was 147 mph level flight, 10 years ago. They are now pushing the 200 mph barrier. Good luck hitting something like that, even Oregon Viking's version that tops out around 80 mph will be covering 117 feet per second. :dontknow:

Attachments

• Stryker Slayer.jpg
    Stryker Slayer.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 62

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang an old brushed motor Stryker. Oh the money I spent on those, in the quest for speed. My best was 147 mph level flight, 10 years ago. They are now pushing the 200 mph barrier. Good luck hitting something like that, even Oregon Viking's version that tops out around 80 mph will be covering 117 feet per second. :dontknow:

OK... I'll back off that comment then. I'll need a lot more warning, height, flight plan and the speed. And maybe a whole box or brick of shells. But it would be fun to try!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

200mph YIKES. Here's my F-16 only doing about 85 .. this was about 3 years ago cameras have come a long way since then.

Maybe time to do some dog fighting with drones ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread