heart attack....then dissapointment....Update nice piece of history..

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
Went out today for a few hours to our pounded site I decided to hit the un-walkable area's got a signal that I figured was a shotgun shell or pull tab, I dug the dirt out and scanned the pile, it was out of the hole, I piked up the dirt and this is what I saw sticking out, (of course with dirt on it and I saw the gold) so you can see where the excitement came from.

md52 012.jpg

then I cleaned the dirt off and saw the rest...awwwwww....

md52 007.jpg

It says CUBA MUST BE FREE on one side and REMEMBER THE MAIN on the other.
some short research tells me it is a Spanish American war pendant from 1893, If anyone has more info let me know.

The gun is from another hunt got a 1910 wheat and a 1927 wheat as well..

md52 008.jpg

Attachments

• md52 005.jpg
    md52 005.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,157
Upvote 0

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Nice piece of history! That's one to put in the keeper pile.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I'm glad you found that pistol. I'd be soaking it in penetrating oil and ordering parts, by the time I was done you could buy a new one. seriously those are awesome finds.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I feel your pain but hey ... nice find anyway ... congratz and continued good hunting!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

That's a great find,don't be disappointed.As an aside,it's now believed the Maine was not attacked but suffered an internal explosion in her munitions bunker.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

Can understand your disappointment, but I think it is still a nice find.

HH,
Pepper

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Here's some articles....and clipart!

Attachments

• remember the maine 3a.jpg
    remember the maine 3a.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 725
  • remember the maine 2a.jpg
    remember the maine 2a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 736
  • remember the maine 1a.jpg
    remember the maine 1a.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 734

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to find one of those any day :)

HH
-GC

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

It's all in the eyes of the beholder! A gold coin would be nice but what you have found makes a gold coin almost an every day find. Congrats on such a super find! HH

Desertfox

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes! An excellant find my friend! I'd be proud to be an owner of such treasure! Detectahead

OP
OP
TnT2000

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA

Thank you all for all your great replies and history, to be honest I new nothing about the Main...and now that I do Believe me I am proud to have found the piece and it is being added to my collection...

Thanks again TnT

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece T....I'd take it anyday,definetley one for the collection....Congrat's and HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnT2000 said:
Thank you all for all your great replies and history, to be honest I new nothing about the Main...and now that I do Believe me I am proud to have found the piece and it is being added to my collection...

Thanks again TnT

And well you should be! That's a super find! 8) Congrats!

Nana :)

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Foremost, Tnt200, great find.

For Plehbah: Thought you might find this to be interesting in light of your comment to LI Tom. This is from AmericanHeritage.com:

But had the men whom Taft called “martyred defenders” of the Republic indeed been the victims of an enemy attack? Questions about the cause of the explosion that had killed them lingered on for three-quarters of a century, until in the 1970s Adm. Hyman Rickover stepped in. Rickover enlisted a team of engineers who conducted a thorough scientific investigation of the cause of the Maine’s explosion. The group had access to the Navy’s 1898 and 1911 investigations, as well as the benefit of modern knowledge of marine explosions and, of course, Captain Ferguson’s detailed photographs. Rickover’s study disproved the Navy’s earlier findings; in all probability the explosion that destroyed the Maine had come from deep inside the ship.

All the evidence indicated that combustible fumes in one of the coal bunkers spontaneously ignited, setting off a chain of explosions in adjacent magazines that sent the Maine to the bottom. It was not an enemy’s “infernal machine” but an unlucky and probably avoidable mishap that propelled America’s foreign policy into the twentieth century.

Hmm...you questioning Adm Rickover's findings? Or...are you calling his findings anti-American? Better think twice before you answer that one, my friend.
---Mel

borninok

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
And here's a newspaper article I researched regarding Adm Rickover and the Maine....I had to break it up in two sections....It was too big and downsizing it would have prevented you from reading it....

By the way...I had the pleasure of meeting Adm Rickover back in '81 at EB Shipyard (Groton, CT) along with the then VP: George Bush (Papa Bush) and the then Sec of the Navy: John Lehman (I was his duty driver!).

Adm Rickover was quite the character and a real pleasure to talk with and let me tell you...that man can talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the article!

PS: just read the entire article LOL....it only gives a small bit about the Maine...but I do find the rest of the article quite interesting....(and the comments I am thinking need to be placed in the political forum!)

Attachments

• remember the maine 4b.jpg
    remember the maine 4b.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 282
  • remember the maine 4c.jpg
    remember the maine 4c.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 277

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions