heart attack....then dissapointment....Update nice piece of history..

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
Went out today for a few hours to our pounded site I decided to hit the un-walkable area's got a signal that I figured was a shotgun shell or pull tab, I dug the dirt out and scanned the pile, it was out of the hole, I piked up the dirt and this is what I saw sticking out, (of course with dirt on it and I saw the gold) so you can see where the excitement came from.

md52 012.jpg

then I cleaned the dirt off and saw the rest...awwwwww....

md52 007.jpg

It says CUBA MUST BE FREE on one side and REMEMBER THE MAIN on the other.
some short research tells me it is a Spanish American war pendant from 1893, If anyone has more info let me know.

The gun is from another hunt got a 1910 wheat and a 1927 wheat as well..

md52 008.jpg

Attachments

• md52 005.jpg
    md52 005.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,158
Upvote 0

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for the info, Ron/Ann....I'm assuming it was from AnnMarie... ;D ;D

Adm Rickover's book on the Maine was extremely interesting, too. And, before anybody points it out...LOL...yes, there was yet another inquiry in 1999 by the National Geographic (Advanced Marine Enterprises), and that investigation concluded the cause of the sinking was a mine. However, members of the Adm Rickover's team...and even some members of the Advanced Marine Enterprises....did not agree with the findings of that investigation. In that Adm Rickover was the "scientific" man that he was, one tends to be swayed more by his findings.

Side note, and AnnMarie probably remembers this too (as I do)...as the result of Adm Rickover...in naval correspondence, "Sailor" is to be capitalized in all references except those who belong to foreign navies. This was done to honor their courage. Never got to meet him. Wish I could have, though.

http://www.navy.mil/tools/view_styleguide.asp?sort=S

Again, Tnt200, great finds.
---Mel

borninok

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Re: heart attack....then dissapointment....oh well..

Congratulations on an awesome find.
plehbah said:
I surely would not be disappointed over some interesting old political memorabilia. There was a time in America when "remember the Maine!" was on every set of lips, and the populace was in arms over foreign affairs that in reality, they had no IDEA about (sound familiar?)! A foreign sneak attack on America, a ship in a distant harbor now in splinters lining the surf edge. Not too long thereafter, there were coins minted in denominations of centavos with the American Bald Vulture right there on the reverse, and a few years after that, the American "Great White Fleet" was sent to circumnavigate the globe to show the swarthy foreign hordes the might and majesty of the American Bald Vulture, and the American military machine. This incident was largely responsible for getting Big Teddy (no, not Kennedy) elected, and then we can start in on the American mind and the wilderness, along with the continuation of American expansionism, and the death throes of Manifest Destiny.

Funny about the item on the badge reverse. Some things just never change. Uncle Fidel would probably love this piece!

You want history, you got it.
You want to be disappointed, take a look at a lonely, dirty, non-key date wheaty.
What a worthless comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread