johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The mosquitoes down here at the shore are apparently sleeping today, so I finally got out for a few hours to detect. (learned the black flies are just waking up). I hit the woods again where I'd found colonial coppers and ran in all metal, but nothing much but an ingot and what looks like a broken key (and a lot of shotgun shells). For a break I hit the old worked out access road along the bay, got a very iffy signal, and pulled this one up. I cleaned it for a second under water and it looks like it may clean up a little more.

Attachments

• half dime uncleaned.jpg
    half dime uncleaned.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 481
  • half dime and stuff.jpg
    half dime and stuff.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 492
  • half dime cleaned 1.JPG
    half dime cleaned 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good cleaning job Johnnyi what did you use :P

SS.

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
S.S., I hardly cleaned it. The difference between the two pics is that the first was right out of the ground and the second one I just ran water over it with a little dish soap for a second or two. I'm not sure how it will eventually clean up.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wtg looks good

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
S.S., I hardly cleaned it. The difference between the two pics is that the first was right out of the ground and the second one I just ran water over it with a little dish soap for a second or two. I'm not sure how it will eventually clean up.
I normally use Lemon juice, or Genolite on my Silver coins, that;s if they are really bad :P

SS.

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks S.S. I'm probably not going to use anything that caustic on it though just in case some of the stains have begun to pit. I usually don't have much problem with silver because I hunt well away from the bay. This find was very close to the salt marshes though. Although it's not a rare coin, it looks close to a.u. as far as detail goes so I don't want to damage it. I'll probably take Don's advice and soak it in distilled water for several days and see what happens.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A successful day for you, half dimes are not easy for me to find, they just want to evade me for some reason. I know for years I tried to get my first one and my son would find them occasionally, while I just could not get one. Heck his first coin from the 1800s when he was around 14 years old was a 1835 Half Dime, what a way to start off! I finally found my first one around the 20 year of hunting mark!

I never really do anything to my silver coins other than make sure all dirt is off, distilled water soak is good and a thorough drying, only the black encrusted ones from the shore get the electrolysis >:(

Boy, don't know about you John, but thought for sure I had a half dime also, those dang reflectorized thumb tacks that the bow hunters use to find their way out of the woods at dusk are a pain when they are in the ground. Sound exactly like a silver coin.... Needless to say that was one of my targets today.

Don

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Thanks S.S. I'm probably not going to use anything that caustic on it though just in case some of the stains have begun to pit. I usually don't have much problem with silver because I hunt well away from the bay. This find was very close to the salt marshes though. Although it's not a rare coin, it looks close to a.u. as far as detail goes so I don't want to damage it. I'll probably take Don's advice and soak it in distilled water for several days and see what happens.
None of the things I said about the cleaning hurts Silver coins :P I would never suggest it unless it was tried and tested.... by myself :wink:

SS.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking seated there congrats.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006