johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The mosquitoes down here at the shore are apparently sleeping today, so I finally got out for a few hours to detect. (learned the black flies are just waking up). I hit the woods again where I'd found colonial coppers and ran in all metal, but nothing much but an ingot and what looks like a broken key (and a lot of shotgun shells). For a break I hit the old worked out access road along the bay, got a very iffy signal, and pulled this one up. I cleaned it for a second under water and it looks like it may clean up a little more.

Attachments

• half dime uncleaned.jpg
    half dime uncleaned.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 481
  • half dime and stuff.jpg
    half dime and stuff.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 492
  • half dime cleaned 1.JPG
    half dime cleaned 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0
Good cleaning job Johnnyi what did you use :P

SS.

S.S., I hardly cleaned it. The difference between the two pics is that the first was right out of the ground and the second one I just ran water over it with a little dish soap for a second or two. I'm not sure how it will eventually clean up.

:icon_thumright: wtg looks good

johnnyi said:
S.S., I hardly cleaned it. The difference between the two pics is that the first was right out of the ground and the second one I just ran water over it with a little dish soap for a second or two. I'm not sure how it will eventually clean up.
I normally use Lemon juice, or Genolite on my Silver coins, that;s if they are really bad :P

SS.

Thanks S.S. I'm probably not going to use anything that caustic on it though just in case some of the stains have begun to pit. I usually don't have much problem with silver because I hunt well away from the bay. This find was very close to the salt marshes though. Although it's not a rare coin, it looks close to a.u. as far as detail goes so I don't want to damage it. I'll probably take Don's advice and soak it in distilled water for several days and see what happens.

A successful day for you, half dimes are not easy for me to find, they just want to evade me for some reason. I know for years I tried to get my first one and my son would find them occasionally, while I just could not get one. Heck his first coin from the 1800s when he was around 14 years old was a 1835 Half Dime, what a way to start off! I finally found my first one around the 20 year of hunting mark!

I never really do anything to my silver coins other than make sure all dirt is off, distilled water soak is good and a thorough drying, only the black encrusted ones from the shore get the electrolysis >:(

Boy, don't know about you John, but thought for sure I had a half dime also, those dang reflectorized thumb tacks that the bow hunters use to find their way out of the woods at dusk are a pain when they are in the ground. Sound exactly like a silver coin.... Needless to say that was one of my targets today.

Don

johnnyi said:
Thanks S.S. I'm probably not going to use anything that caustic on it though just in case some of the stains have begun to pit. I usually don't have much problem with silver because I hunt well away from the bay. This find was very close to the salt marshes though. Although it's not a rare coin, it looks close to a.u. as far as detail goes so I don't want to damage it. I'll probably take Don's advice and soak it in distilled water for several days and see what happens.
None of the things I said about the cleaning hurts Silver coins :P I would never suggest it unless it was tried and tested.... by myself :wink:

SS.

Nice looking seated there congrats.

Well done! That is a much nicer coin than my 1853 half dime from March. :tard:

B_001.jpgB_002.jpg

Thanks for posting. She's a beauty. :icon_thumleft:

Regards,

Buckles

Attachments

• B_001.jpg
    B_001.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 268
  • B_002.jpg