Hello Ben! Been looking for you, can you tell me why this brick is beeping?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I told my wife, that today I was going to find big silver. Nothing like seeing Ben Franklin himself, peeking out of the hole, on the 4th of July!:headbang: My first one, check that one off the bucket list!
image.jpeg

My hunt this am was at an old homesite, now a neighborhood park. Never did I expect to find two King George Canadian quarters! One is 1918, the other is worn down smooth, gotta be older. I didn't know they were even on my bucket list, so sweet!
Later on, I found a patch of mid tone signals, was gonna pass them up, but they were deep, ssoooo....
I worked that spill for about a half hour, beep after beep, 17 coins, no clue what they were. Turns out, all 1940's Mexican 10 centavos.... Oh well. Mixed in the mess was a Cuban nickel, or whatever, 1946. Soon thereafter, I got a good hit, kinda deep...target was the redline hot wheels, 1967. Also, my first one.
Ha! I found a lighter, it works! You can never have enough lighters.
So I call last target, and I go back to a hit I had earlier. It was reading up as a dime, but there was a big brick, or something on top of it. I decided that I was gonna win this battle, and I pried that stubborn brick out the way. Turns out, it was part of a chewed up walkway....umm..where did the signal go, wtf? It took a minute, but I realized the signal was in the encrusted mass of junk.... Ooh, there it is! I LMFAO, another big silver! 1942 Mercury... Gonna keep that, just the way it is. image.jpeg

Thanks for looking, and Happy 4th!:hello:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Upvote 28

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making memories! Sounds like a fun hunt. Ben looks awesome! Congrats [emoji106]

HH RN

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Ben is looking mighty good these days! :occasion14:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a pretty interesting hunt. Congrats on the Franklin and I love the older Canadian stuff. The Cuban and Mexican coins may not be worth much, but they do make the hunts more interesting, I mean hey, at least they were not all pulltabs or can slaw, right?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Great story, Dave!! A Big Ben on the 4th and the wings of Mercury embedded in mortar........priceless!!! Way to go..........:occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the big silver recovery! :occasion14:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Finds! I love the sidewalk merc. Pretty darn cool that it's heads up, neat to be able to read the date.

Big Silver Congratz

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like the hotwheels is 'Deora'. that was one of the original first 16 line up and probably worth a little even in dug condition

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds!! Bucket-lister's are always great to knock off- still looking for my first Ben, even though I've had many earlier ones.. Continued success to you!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like the hotwheels is 'Deora'. that was one of the original first 16 line up and probably worth a little even in dug condition

Yea, I looked it up...$40 bucks to $65 on some sites! Not crusty like this one though....
image.jpeg image.jpeg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you did so well Like the franklin bet there is a lot more there Great post!!!!!!!!!!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now thats a good hunt. :occasion14: The Franklin half is still on my bucket list

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I pulled a franklin a couple years back. My only Canadian silver is a 1918 quarter just like yours

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I pulled a franklin a couple years back. My only Canadian silver is a 1918 quarter just like yours

A bit of research shows me the one worn dateless has to be between 1912-1919....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great 4th of July BWD :headbang: Nothing like checking off a few bucket listers in a single hunt. That Merc find is unique, I don't blame you for keeping it as it is. I really like the Ben F half, they are hard to find. Congrats on the big silver as well as the 3 smaller ones. :occasion14: Gonna be hard to beat today';s hunt, enjoy the feeling....

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great 4th of July BWD :headbang: Nothing like checking off a few bucket listers in a single hunt. That Merc find is unique, I don't blame you for keeping it as it is. I really like the Ben F half, they are hard to find. Congrats on the big silver as well as the 3 smaller ones. :occasion14: Gonna be hard to beat today';s hunt, enjoy the feeling....

Thanks Sarge... I had a good feeling about today. Had no permissions lined up, and didn't want to door knock early this am. This little park I had beeped gently before, and found some clad. My new hunting technique makes my old hunts new again. The rainy season is helping me reach those deeper targets too. Blows my mind to think what I have walked over this past year, and missed it.:BangHead:

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
That merc-in-the-sidewalk is awesome - love that. Actually like the '40s spill too... And 3 big silver?! Can't beat that. It's funny, I've only ever found 1 Franklin half in 10 years of detecting (alongside plenty of other halves and silver). I always just assume they were all picked out by the old timers back in the day as they'd be the most common and shallowest big silvers. Who knows?

Anyhow, congrats on a sweet hunt! I'm about to walk out the door to hopefully do the same :)

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds, love the Franklin!:headbang:

Have you check that Mercury closely, if not look again it could be a 1942/1, which is worth a good deal of money!

29626515_41937285_2200.jpg

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, too bad for me. It's pretty chewed up too.
image.jpeg

I'll never know where it was minted either...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread