Hello from Anchorage, AK

Iceman55

Aug 13, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,
I have been shadowing on this thread for a few days now trying to learn about metal detecting. Yesterday I went to the local sporting goods store and bought a Teknetics Alpha 2000 detector to try and get the hang of things. The wife and I went out last night to a local ball field and had a blast finding some pull tabs and a few pennies. I am facing a dilemna though, I called the local Parks and Rec Depatment today and they said that I can metal detect in he local parks as long as I don't dig, which doesn't make much sense. I guess I'll just have to go find somewhere else to look around. I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about detecting and would love to meet up with anyone else in the Anchorage area.

Nick

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Iceman Nick,
Welcome officially to Tnet! Lurkers many times finally break down and come on board and that is a good thing as there is just so much offered here by the members. In Anchorage you have the Alaska Mining store and of course they offer trips out to their mining claim, I think it is at Gaines Creek, and you might ask for a fellow named Steve. They carry detectors and all sorts of mining equipment including boats and such stuff, probably of no interest to you.

Anyway, no digging in the parks like with shovels and trowels but I suspect they allow a person to use a probe. These are usually made out of brass so they do not scratch the coins, rings and such that one pulls out of the ground with a probe. One locates an object with the detector, pinpoints it and I take a small pointed stick and stick it into the ground just at the center of the coil. This is at least the starting point for probing. If you've accomplished being able to pinpoint then this method should get you very close to the object though the object could be some distance down in the ground like 6" or so. This makes probing more diffucult when one has a deep target and is usually when the broad bladed, about 1/2" wide, weed puller comes out even though they are made of steel and Will mar the surface of most every coin they are used to extract from the ground. They especially bite into the silver coins! I would guess there may be a metal detecting club up your way and those would be good folks to chum around with to pick up lots of little hints and tips.

I put up a post here on Tnet in the prospecting area, likely in the gold prospecting or metal detecting locations, it was titled "Can You Dig It". It shows the tools I use and I believe that would include the brass probe I made. It was likely posted in July or possibly June, just look for the title and the author 63bkpkr as the pictures may be of some help.

Good luck as there should be a few old coins waiting with you name on them..........63bkpkr

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called the local Parks and Rec Depatment today and they said that I can metal detect in he local parks as long as I don't dig, which doesn't make much sense. I guess I'll just have to go find somewhere else to look around.

Though I'm a newbie, I'm starting to see the logic of some members here when they say DON"T ASK!
Asking for permission on private property is a no brainer, but when you have to approach someone with a title, eg. anything that ends in "Department", "Authority", etc, the answer 99.9999% of the time is NO. It's the default answer for anything that they're unsure of.

So I think I'd detect parks, beaches, any "public lands" , and plead innocence and ignorance if questioned by someone in authority. Chances are they won't....cause they are UNSURE.

dt

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and metal detecting. Husband and I go out as a team - he swings the coil and digs, I hold the goodies (and trash). In the beginning, dig every signal you get. Yes, you will dig lots of trash (pull tabs, bottle caps, etc) but you will get to know your machine and it's different sounds. Remember, swing your coil low and slow and get out hunting as often as you can!

HH (Happy Hunting),
Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread