Help Please!!! Vintage Omega Seamaster... Real or Fake?

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I need some help on this vintage Omega Seamaster Deville... I'm going to look at it tomorrow and need to determine if it's authentic....

Details:
Omega Seamaster Devill
Automatic
35mm
Movement unknown

It looks good to me and appear to be real....but I'm not an expert in this field....

I would kindly appreciate any input and advise... Does this look legit?

Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502583118.405481.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502583129.154134.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502583138.870281.jpg

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from pictures without seeing the inside but one way to tell for sure - If the Cyclops magnifier over the date does not actually double the size of the date then it is most likely fake. Common mistake of cheap knock offs. If it actually magnifies the date you are off to a good start. Second is the winding stem. If it is one solid piece then that is another good indicator. many knock offs have a glued on cap on the end of the winding stem instead of being all one piece. Under the six o'clock hour it should say Swiss, But this is not on all of them because on more expensive vintage watches it is common to refinish the dial.
With So many high quality knock offs the best way to find our is to take the back off and lock up the 8 digit serial number that will be printed on it.

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thought is to test the luminosity of the markers. Put it under a bright light for a few minutes and then turn the light off. Knock offs use a very low quality material to produce the glowing effect and it does not glow after a short period of time. Ive seen some that don't work at all.

OP
OP
NWpickin

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bodhi69!! Yeah it's really hard to tell from the pictures... I'm waiting for him to send more tonight....Just don't want to get burned on this one.... Better safe than sorry.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks genuine to me and maybe refurbished, but seeing the movement would be even better. Take it to a jeweler who has the proper tools to lift the back. Not seeing Swiss Made on the dial makes me wonder somewhat about it? As far as the magnifier it may have been buffed down at one time. I had a 1950s era chronograph with a badly scratched up acrylic crystal and I took a lot off of it to get it all nice and clear again. All that changed the optics of the magnifier, but I then could see what time it was as it did come out looking pretty sharp.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
The question is whether you are buying it to resell or wear yourself? And how much are you spending? It looks authentic but as it was mentioned before, the movement is the key. I've been lucky enough to get my last three Omegas for under $30. But for personal wear, I'd spend up to $300 on a nice one.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't try to remove the back. It all comes out the front. For that you need a few special tools to do it the right way. Just thought I'd throw that in. :laughing7: I've destroyed a few in the past while I was learning. Some movements kind of twist lock in the case.

No idea if it's authentic. I'm not much help with that.

Added...

This may help to compare details to your watch.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dif...r-seamaster-de-ville-and-seamaster-600.18306/

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't try to remove the back. It all comes out the front. For that you need a few special tools to do it the right way. Just thought I'd throw that in. :laughing7: I've destroyed a few in the past while I was learning. Some movements kind of twist lock in the case.

No idea if it's authentic. I'm not much help with that.

Added...

This may help to compare details to your watch.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dif...r-seamaster-de-ville-and-seamaster-600.18306/
Good point and helpful link.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NWpickin

NWpickin

Aug 27, 2014
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your advise and knowledge.... Everything checked out when I saw it in person and I ended up buying it for $200... I didn't notice it in the pictures but there is an small engraving on the back that reads "Mom & Dad 6-17-66"..... I've been looking for an Omega SM for quite awhile now and glad I finally found one... I wish I could have found it out picking but it's still cheaper than eBay.... Thanks again!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your advise and knowledge.... Everything checked out when I saw it in person and I ended up buying it for $200... I didn't notice it in the pictures but there is an small engraving on the back that reads "Mom & Dad 6-17-66"..... I've been looking for an Omega SM for quite awhile now and glad I finally found one... I wish I could have found it out picking but it's still cheaper than eBay.... Thanks again!

Great find!! Very nice looking watch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread