beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lately I have been (IMHO) wasting time doing research trying to put together a list of properties and then work on getting permission to hunt them. Well I have come up with what I hope are 10 prime properties. Went out this morning to this one................

farm.jpg

Built in 1877 with about 10 acres. The house sits back off the road probably 300+ yards on a gravel driveway. So I took a deep breath and turned into the driveway. I got about 50 feet and two big dogs jump off the porch and come a runnin. I had one on the left and one on the right barking away as I continued my long drive towards the house. At 200 yard out from the side yard comes dog number three. He takes up his position at the front of my car. Still, I was undaunted and kept going. As I neared the house I looked for signs of human activity when out from the back of the house come dogs numbers 4 and 5. Now I was surrounded. I passed the house and turned around pondering my next move. I pulled back up till I was near the front of the house.

I sat there thinking this must be what General Custer felt like at the Little Big Horn as the furry critters were circling my car and barking up a storm. For about 5 seconds I considered getting out and knocking on the door but that idea faded QUICKLY. So I honked the horn hoping to wake someone up. Nothing, nada. So I watched in the rear view mirror as property #1 faded in the distance.

I shall return though (with a pocket full of dog treats) and give it another go. If I don't try I'll never get to hunt there and always wonder what would I find. If I do get to ask and am told no then I won't have to wonder anymore. So I drove home dejected, did some yard work, and watched football. But at least I lived to detect another day.

Hope everyone had more success this weekend then I did.

Attachments

• Abraham_Anthony_Farm.jpg
    Abraham_Anthony_Farm.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 9

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run into situations like yours, but I was on foot and got away in one piece some how.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know that feeling all too well, obsessing over properties, sometimes id rather just get the big fat "no" right away so I don't have to wonder anymore lol

looks like a good property though

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get turned away, sometimes by people and sometimes by dogs, but you have to keep knocking. If you really want to get a chance as some real bucket list finds private property can provide them. Getting permission is sometimes the hard part. Here's a few pieces I found after getting permission.

2 reale obv 5-6-14.jpg 20140601_140412.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I hate more than what you experienced is when the husband gives permission and the wife insists that you are not to dig and vice versa.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The place looks good. Keep after it, you have done well with permissions... remember?

Perhaps you could call them, and introduce yourself, then set a time to go see the people. This actually worked for me a couple of times, I was amazed...

Best of luck brother!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way, if you do get turned down. It's probably going to be hard to find a place in that yard to kneel down and dig.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cjon is a real dog whisperer. I bet if you buy him a greyhound ticket, he'd come down and tickle those pups 'till they'd leave you alone.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quarter of a mile from my home sits a mid 19th century church that sits near or on the site of mid 18th century church with an accompanying still standing 18th century vestry house. Imagine my frustration driving by it everyday. Spoke to the senior warden and he said he would get back to me. Never did

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quarter of a mile from my home sits a mid 19th century church that sits near or on the site of mid 18th century church with an accompanying still standing 18th century vestry house. Imagine my frustration driving by it everyday. Spoke to the senior warden and he said he would get back to me. Never did

Unfortunately, this is one of the realatys of our hobby and it is hard to swallow sometimes. There is a place near me that was a privately owned springs and resort before and during the Civil war. Stonewall Jackson and his men spent a few days there after the battle of McDowell. I'm sure it's been detected but God only knows what might be there. I approached the owner once but the lady of the house quicky shut me down with an absolutely not. This place has become my White Whale. I continue to watch and hope for an opening to plead my case but I don't think it will happen. All we can do is say "next" and move on.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
...and this is why you always carry a throw down cat with you.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super frustrating I know. But hey, if they are saying "no" to you, chances are nobody else can hunt there either, so they will be prime spots one day. I have a couple places like this. Sooner or later these places may open up due to new owners etc.

Keep it on the back burner and one day it might happen.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger, you hit a nail on the head with your post on Mom says yes and then Dad says no.after you started hunting a place.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
out in my parts that happens alot people just have free range dogs thats sleep inside at night... just pull up and get out they wont bother ya...if they were ******* dogs usually owners wont let the run free and bite bc of lawsuits....go back and give it a shot dont be scurred!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I hate more than what you experienced is when the husband gives permission and the wife insists that you are not to dig and vice versa.

I tried and tried finding someone at a great looking 1800's house. Finally one day I see a vehicle there. I pulled in, gave the nervous acting guy the pitch and I was very surprised he said yes. He told me the history of the place and gave me the property borders. The best part was: he wanted me to detect it when he and the wife were NOT there! Perfect! I get home and my phone rings. He tells me his " lawyer " has advised him to not let me do it for liability reasons. I still think his wife put her foot down and said no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread