Hey, how am i going to blow up this cave?

Ok, I'm going to sound like the incredible skeptic here, so anyone who wants to take me task for it, please do so. My mind is open to changing.

But this story makes no sense.

Gramps is spooked that people will try to steal his gold so he hoards it somewhere no one knows about. I'm ok with that so far.

Now everybody knows gramps is hiding his gold somewhere and one day gramps dies. I'm still good.

So gramps gets buried in a cave where he had created a tomb for himself and then wants the cave sealed.

Ok, so are we expected to believe that everybody was so incredibly stupid that not one person thought "Hey, if Gramps spent a lot of time in this cave, maybe Gramps buried his treasure here![/i]"

But no, everyone did exactly what they were told and sealed the cave, and went home wondering where in tarnation Gramps hid his gold.

Look, I want to be wrong about this and if I am, please feel free to rub my nose in your find. I will listen to your "I told ya so's" all day. ;D But too many of these buried treasure stories don't add up.

You're facing a lot of work and potential danger in this hunt. Please be careful and good luck.

Build a probe with TV camera and LED Light source coupled to small 4 to 5 inch TV (any of the Short Focus - Self Illuminated - Color Security TV Cameras will do)--- take along 3/4 or 1 inch pvc extention tubes with screw couplers on ends. (get old folding chair bag and fill it up with about 15 ft of extentions - should be enough to get real good idea of what is in there) lot safer than excavation and entry into unknown area in middle of nowhere.

Do you have ATV up there? One guy used rear weel rim as pully/windlass for rope winch. That and couple 5 gal buckets (stacked together to conserve space) would work to clear gravel from area. Is there cell phone coverage there? If not, amateur radio rig or emergency beacon is real good investment.

Slipperyjack47 said:
Slipperyjack47
Nobody's thinking anything. He hasn't done anything wrong. But your not allowed to go around calling people (especially a new member) an idiot on here.

Slipperyjack47 said:
[mod][/mod]

Slipperyjack47
Peace. Slippery Jack is a common reference to a common mushroom. AKA Suillus luteus. Members of TNet have no idea of how slippery you personally are. At least I don't.

I know SlipperyJack47 and can vouch for his credibility, reputation and his charming disposition :wink: He's good people! :thumbsup:

That being said, I think it was just a big misunderstanding between the two Jacks ;D

Let's move on.......... :tongue3:

Slippery Jack said:
I wasn't aware if i have broken any rules of the forum,

[mod]No Rules Broken by you[/mod]

& I Expect this off topic Banter is over
so "Slippery Jack" Can get the help he wants.

Welcome to TreasureNet Slippery Jack !

Felinepeachy said:
I know SlipperyJack47 and can vouch for his credibility, reputation and his charming disposition :wink: He's good people! :thumbsup:

That being said, I think it was just a big misunderstanding between the two Jacks ;D

Let's move on.......... :tongue3:

I agree

Slipperyjack47 said:
[mod]removed[/mod]

There we go, changed my avatar, i doubt anyone will confuse us now!
Wouldn't want the good people of the forum confusing you, one that has the reputation of being "an honest person", with the likes of me.

On a more positive note, I only managed to get out to the site today for a few hours but made some decent progress, I found a stone-fall sort of path that leads downhill about a shovels throw distance from the cave mouth, made for a quick way to get the rocks away, mad some good progress, ive got an area about 17 inches wide cleared leading in, but only about 4-5 inches tall.
The problem now is that i cant dig any farther in because with the slant of the ceiling i don't have enough room to move the shovel, i actually had to get on my stomach to clear the small entry space i could, and i see now that i will have to dig out much more of the pebbles at the mouth just to give me the space i need to shovel farther inside.

I took some pictures but lost my USB so il get those up as soon as i get my new one. And to answer a question i saw, the pebbles aren't really gravel and they aren't really pebbles, theyre about quarter shaped, with very jagged and sharp edges that cut your knees through you jeans :-X

And I noticed something interesting, at the cave entrance there are flys. Not small normal flys that are common around here but BIG blue flys, and lots of them. What does that mean? Are they just attracted to the cold air?

Blue blowflies can be an indication of 2 things: a dead animal, or a warm dry wintering-over location.

If you don't notice an odor of decomposition, it's probably not due to a dead animal. That leaves the other possibility.

Insects of all kinds like to hibernate through cold weather underground. Lady bugs are noted for their seeking out underground burrows or small caves to mass in, then come out when the weather warms up. Flies are no different, really. Most can't survive very long, but some can.

Can't say more without seeing the flies in question.

Tuberale said:
Blue blowflies can be an indication of 2 things: a dead animal, or a warm dry wintering-over location.

If you don't notice an odor of decomposition, it's probably not due to a dead animal. That leaves the other possibility.

Insects of all kinds like to hibernate through cold weather underground. Lady bugs are noted for their seeking out underground burrows or small caves to mass in, then come out when the weather warms up. Flies are no different, really. Most can't survive very long, but some can.

Can't say more without seeing the flies in question.
I got a picture of one, just need to get a new camera USB now. But it doesn't make sense, the area is very cold, and there is no sign of decomposing material.
Seems like its just another mystery il have to solve ;D

Cool thread, keep us up to date and include the pics, I ma sure we will all love to see them. Best of luck with this mission.

Cheers Sasnz :icon_thumright:

Right on Gargreen,
I fully agree. I just asked for permission to hunt an area that has been a resort for many years, but started out as indian land years ago. Even though the resort has been there almost 100 yrs with people doing all kinds of construction, the guy used the "sensitive indian burial thing" thing to tell me no. Heck, people tromp all around the whole area on a regular basis and it's not like I will be digging down more than 6" anyway.

As far as the cave, sounds like a good thing to fill up sandbags with gravel and pile them up for support.
Keep yur eyes open for snakes!

Attachments

• BIG_20RATTLE_20SNAKE.jpg
    BIG_20RATTLE_20SNAKE.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,238
coinshooter said:
Right on Gargreen,
I fully agree. I just asked for permission to hunt an area that has been a resort for many years, but started out as indian land years ago. Even though the resort has been there almost 100 yrs with people doing all kinds of construction, the guy used the "sensitive indian burial thing" thing to tell me no. Heck, people tromp all around the whole area on a regular basis and it's not like I will be digging down more than 6" anyway.

As far as the cave, sounds like a good thing to fill up sandbags with gravel and pile them up for support.

Fortunately I don't live anywhere near a nuclear power plant so i dont have to deal with snakes of that magnitude! But you know what they say about snakes, its not the size that matters, its the poison that gets you!

coinshooter said:
Right on Gargreen,

How big, and what is that snake?. Thats amazing. We don't get anything like that over here in the uk, Thank God. The worst we get are adders, still bad new tho', but not bad like that :o.

hammered

If we had a picture of the cave entrance we might be of more help. I am thinking if there is a stream of water not far from the cave, you can undermine the area that has the gravel in it. What I mean is, if you go well below the entrance, use hydraulics to help you eat the soil away under the gravel/pebbles, and they will then roll down the hill. You can buy a brand new (China probably) 3" trash pump with a 6 Hp motor on eBay for $220 that will cost you very little to run, use the 3" and adapt it down to 2" which will give you more pressure. Start poking it into the ground below the gravels, let it eat the supporting material away, the gravel will fall out of the mouth of the cave...unless of course the cave and supporting material are almost solid rock, in that case it’s the gravel/pebbles in the canvas bags thing! Like everyone is saying be careful, don’t mess around with the mouth of the cave where you might slide into it and not be found! I use a Rigid brand Bore Scope, it comes with a 3 or 4 foot cable and lens and it gives you an illuminated, live video of where the end is… you can buy extension cable for it--I have three making it like 16 feet long…kind of unwieldy but it works great if you have a hole the size of your thumb to poke it thru or down into! It only cost like $300 for the camera and all the extensions. Look before you leap!

curtis, where do we get a bore scope? thanks much. ron

also, as everybody else has said, BE CAREFULL.
take care and be safe. ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back