Hi Ho SILVER!!!! AWAY! Who Was that Masked Man Doing the CHicken Dance?

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
"To da Dump to da Dump to da Dump Dump Dump..." Well it sure felt like I was detecting at the dump at times today. Sheesh! I dug up and hauled off at LEAST three pounds or more of can slaw and even whole cans.. beer cans, soda cans, and even a soup can! ? Now how did that get there? <shrugging shoulders>
Hi ya Everyone! It's Me again Margaret.. "are ya nekked?" Sorry.. just had a snippet of a song running through my mind there for a second. I'm sure I'd MUCH preffer that most of you reading this be FULLY clothed if and when I ever meet you. <laughing> I hope everyone is having a good day, or week (even though it's only Monday). I'm having a good day/week.. so far. Today was/is the first day of a vacation. Or should I say "Stay-cation"? Not going anywhere this week, no beach, no mountains, no romantic getaway.. just pretty much staying around the house doing some much needed yard work, some odd jobs around the house and of course the ever present "honey-do" jobs that have been put off till just such a time as this. Oh.. that's not to say that I will NOT be indulging in my favorite hobby.. As you can already guess, I started the day off today doing just that! Detecting! Metal detecting that is! Treasure Hunting!.. trash collecting. <shrug>
Actually I started the day off a little more domestically than treasure hunting. I got up a little later than I normally would for work, but it was still dark outside and a bit nippy, so I fixed breakfast for myself and my darling if still sleeping wife. I made biscuts with sausage gravy, cut up a couple of nice ripe tomatoes, and of course some sausage patties that didn't make it into the gravy. After waking my better half up from her beauty rest, I ate breakfast with her then read the paper. We watched a little tv (The Today Show), and by the time the sun was up, I was bored with the witty banter and cutting edge reporting.. time to get out! I told my darling wife I was off to play.. and she smirked and said that she'd see me later in the day.
And so it came to be, that I was on my knees, digging up and bagging can after can after piece of can. I picked the soccer complex in the nearby town of Versailles Kentucky to be my venue de jour. I've hunted here many times and have rarely if EVER been disappointed. Especially after I discovered that I could actually find more coin ON the playing fields than AROUND the outsides of the fields where people sit to watch the games. But I've covered all that before haven't I? <grin> Today was no exception. I was finding coin after coin after coin... a lot of pennies, a lot of dimes, a few quarters. I So VERY much LOVE the sound that coins make when you drop them into a well populated finds bag.. "KlinK" "PlinK" Coin after coin. LOTS of coin!

10-13-08 001clad.jpg

$11.09 in clad today.. with one nice little lady.. a Saq dollar.

10-13-08 003saq.jpg

...Kind of has a glow about her doesn't she? <smile>

Of course, there was a rather large collection of other stuff found today as well. The usual suspects, like the cans and can slaw, pull tabs were plentiful, along with the odds and ends that sometimes escape description or at least identification. One nice find, out of the ordinary, was another "Toss" coin used by the officials to call the game opening "toss". I've found many such coins here and on other Soccer fields, but this one is a new type.

10-13-08 009toss.JPG

The front or face of the coin has the horse facing you.. and the lettering legible. The Back of the coin, has the south end of the horse jumping through the horseshoe and the name Versailles Kentucky in reverse or backwards.. I'm sure this was done intentionally, and it's a good joke. I like IT!

Some other unusual finds for today were a .. SCHOOL BUS!.. or at least the remains of one. Relax! It was just a toy school bus.. kind of wonder where the rest of it made off to though? Then there was the fishing reel. <sound of screaching record needle coming to a halt> WHAT? A Fishing REEL? No ponds, no creeks, no river, no lake, no water whatsoever. What in the heck were they fishing for?

10-13-08 007zebco.jpg
10-13-08 008grody.jpg

I don't think this reel is going to be used for fishing ever again... Oh well.. can't save them all I suppose. I believe it would take some heavy duty magic to fix this poor reel up to be useable again. A Silver Bullet maybe? No wait, that would put it out of its misery. Not that I could get a silver bullet out of the gun pieces that I found today. Yeah.. more unusual finds. Two cylinders from a cap pistol from the looks of them. Found both of them within three feet of each other. Must have been some pitched battle there along the sidelines of the soccer field at one time or another. <laughing> But then I *DID* find a silver bullet! Ok..so it wasn't really a bullet, more like a lug nut! Again.. in the middle of a soccer field? Boggles the mind some times doesn't it? <shaking head> But then.. it wasn't long after finding the "silver bullet" that I found this big honkin' tag I'm thinking some sort of livestock tag, perhaps a horse identifier or something, after all that soccer complex used to be a horse farm at one time.

10-13-08 018tag.JPG

It's Heavy.. and I suspect it's made or brass or some alloy of brass or copper, see the scratches where my probe marked it on one side. (*sigh*) No matter how carefull you are, sometimes you still leave scratches or marks. It's weird too, that number.. 2207 my house address is 2206 <que theme music from The Twilight Zone... "Deee deee Deee deee Deee deee..">
A few coins later, and several pieces of can slaw and pull tabs... I had another interesting discovery. The target that rang up as an unsteady dime signal (jumping back and forth from dime to quarter).. turned out to be a horse! A WHOLE horse! Not a leg.. not a hoof.. not just the head... and not the backside.. but the WHOLE DEAL. <grin>

10-13-08 013ring1.jpg

Well.. not actually a horse either.. on closer inspection it can be seen that this horse is actually a Unicorn! Oh how mystical! <clapping like a little girl>

10-13-08 014ring2.jpg

...it's a tiny little thing as you can see here next to the dime...

10-13-08 015ring3.jpg

And Yeah.. I did the chicken dance.. Whoopin' and Hollerin'.. I'm sure I put on quite a little show for the kiddies playing the back yard of one of the houses that back up to the soccer park. I had forgotten that it was Columbus Day.. and the kids were out of school. <shrug> Oh well.. I'm sure they'll get over it. <grin> It was/IS after all SILVER! I didn't even have to clean this one up very much to see that, the Sterling stamp was clearly visible nearly straight out of the dirt.

10-13-08 016proof.jpg

That was pretty much the topper for my day. I found a few more coins, some more junk, a couple of zipper pulls, some pull tabs, even a piece of pipe.. but that cute little unicorn ring was the highlight for my day. Here's the rest of the stuff.. minus the bag of cans and can slaw of course.

10-13-08 006other.jpg

Today's hunt was about three hours long, including a 30 minute break for my lunch.. an apple that I brought with me <grin> which I ate in the shade under one of the picnic shelters beside the soccer field I was hunting. For Autumn it sure was warm today. More like June weather than October. But it was still nice, and a wonderful beginning to a week of "Staycation" <grin> I hope the rest of you can get out and enjoy the weather this week too. Good luck and as always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frodov:

The 2008 tournament rules for the Bluegrass Soccer Club include this one: 'If weather or field conditions prevent the use of penalty kicks, a coin flip will be used to determine the Champion." Perhaps you have found their 'official coin flip game coin'.

Source:http://www.kickinthebluegrass.com/KIB 2008/KIB 2008 Tournament Rules.pdf
Don....
PS: Yes, the 'we' was from a quote from the source previously noted.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Mackaydon said:
Frodov:

The 2008 tournament rules for the Bluegrass Soccer Club include this one: 'If weather or field conditions prevent the use of penalty kicks, a coin flip will be used to determine the Champion." Perhaps you have found their 'official coin flip game coin'.

Source:http://www.kickinthebluegrass.com/KIB 2008/KIB 2008 Tournament Rules.pdf
Don....
PS: Yes, the 'we' was from a quote from the source previously noted.

More and more information! You are just a fountain of knowledge aren't you Mackaydon? <grin> No. Seriously, thank you. I would never have thought of that little bit of information. Guess that's why they issue new coins every year I suppose.. they keep losing them. <grin> And I'll keep finding them.. I hope! Thanks again!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread