High frequency coils hunt (checking suspect targets using Gold Field)

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright,
Thought I would share a few experiences I had today while detecting in the wild.
A 3 hour hunt with split time between round and elliptical HF coils.
Made a few finds using both coils.

I ran the hot program while actually hunting. But used gold field program to check some targets. Glad I did too. Payed off.
Here is pic.

2rhpezd.jpg

Notice the bracelet with the name on it. Gent is still a kicking and in his 80s now, bracelet likely lost back in late50s early 60s. I showed it to his sister actually.
What about this bracelet portion?
I hope folks don't laugh here, what I am going to say, but it is true.
I was when I found this, in the same area where cut Spanish bit and half dime came from back in the summer. I'll bet I have swung a Deus detector, others too over this bracelet buried over 300 times. And I heard it likely every time but didn't dig.
Why?
Probably the same reason why is the same reason I wouldn't have dug again today except for the mighty gold field program.

I swept this bracelet (not knowing) with hot program and the signal I got, I would have bet the farm it was relic iron. A very tight super high short blaring signal. I actually remember getting this same tone here previously many times before. Remember this place does infact have old relic iron smaller, medium sized and bigger all over.

So in the past I was writing this target off as iron.
Today after I hit the target, I toggled over to gold field same freq run as my hot program Reactivty 2.5. When Iistened to this target using gold field, a nice sounding signal smooth on the edges, usually a good giveaway it is infact nonferrous. And sure enough it was.

One more target I dug today I will discuss, and again using gold field gave me some additional Intel to actually recover find.
The old button in the pic.
I located it with round HF coil but the tone signature was crippled big time, with multiple tones being had as I swept. I repeated sweep several times and I would have gave < 15 % chance of nonferrous even existing beneath my coil. But checking target with gold field even even running 1 level lower (slower) Reactivty (level 2.5) I got more to go on the disc mode hot program, meaning now my odds went up to >50 % chance of being nonferous based on what I heard.

To conclude here.
I won't BS folks here.
Using the HF coils running 28.8khz they can be sharper in iron vs the LF coils. A person will get used to if they apply themselves. One thing I will mention here and this too is a good weapon (using gold field to check suspect targets) is using disc program sometimes Deus audio will get caught, trying to sound off extremely close to iron range, and a user may be thinking is what I hear nonferrous or is it iron. When you get these, if you hit them with gold field and you hear nothing, or you hear a signal more corrupt vs what you heard using disc mode program, you can almost bet the farm what you are hearing is iron. Now this applies moreso to shallow and middepth targets.

Cheers.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright,
Thought I would share a few experiences I had today while detecting in the wild.
A 3 hour hunt with split time between round and elliptical HF coils.
Made a few finds using both coils.

I ran the hot program while actually hunting. But used gold field program to check some targets. Glad I did too. Payed off.
Here is pic.

2rhpezd.jpg

Notice the bracelet with the name on it. Gent is still a kicking and in his 80s now, bracelet likely lost back in late50s early 60s. I showed it to his sister actually.
What about this bracelet portion?
I hope folks don't laugh here, what I am going to say, but it is true.
I was when I found this, in the same area where cut Spanish bit and half dime came from back in the summer. I'll bet I have swung a Deus detector, others too over this bracelet buried over 300 times. And I heard it likely every time but didn't dig.
Why?
Probably the same reason why is the same reason I wouldn't have dug again today except for the mighty gold field program.

I swept this bracelet (not knowing) with hot program and the signal I got, I would have bet the farm it was relic iron. A very tight super high short blaring signal. I actually remember getting this same tone here previously many times before. Remember this place does infact have old relic iron smaller, medium sized and bigger all over.

So in the past I was writing this target off as iron.
Today after I hit the target, I toggled over to gold field same freq run as my hot program Reactivty 2.5. When Iistened to this target using gold field, a nice sounding signal smooth on the edges, usually a good giveaway it is infact nonferrous. And sure enough it was.

One more target I dug today I will discuss, and again using gold field gave me some additional Intel to actually recover find.
The old button in the pic.
I located it with round HF coil but the tone signature was crippled big time, with multiple tones being had as I swept. I repeated sweep several times and I would have gave < 15 % chance of nonferrous even existing beneath my coil. But checking target with gold field even even running 1 level lower (slower) Reactivty (level 2.5) I got more to go on the disc mode hot program, meaning now my odds went up to >50 % chance of being nonferous based on what I heard.

To conclude here.
I won't BS folks here.
Using the HF coils running 28.8khz they can be sharper in iron vs the LF coils. A person will get used to if they apply themselves. One thing I will mention here and this too is a good weapon (using gold field to check suspect targets) is using disc program sometimes Deus audio will get caught, trying to sound off extremely close to iron range, and a user may be thinking is what I hear nonferrous or is it iron. When you get these, if you hit them with gold field and you hear nothing, or you hear a signal more corrupt vs what you heard using disc mode program, you can almost bet the farm what you are hearing is iron. Now this applies moreso to shallow and middepth targets.

Cheers.

Yep. I do all those things. Search generally with all tones/no disc. If thick iron, go to disc program to prevent down averaging from iron. Use a pitch unmasking program to interrogate large iron targets and interrogate targets with Gold field to get a general sense of size and shape of the target. Thanks.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info thanks.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. I do all those things. Search generally with all tones/no disc. If thick iron, go to disc program to prevent down averaging from iron. Use a pitch unmasking program to interrogate large iron targets and interrogate targets with Gold field to get a general sense of size and shape of the target. Thanks.

I'm following your path - using multiple programs and MD parameters to ID the target. With the Deus it is intuitive to do so, with all of the availble options and info that can be generated.

I like yours and TN's analytical and detail oriented mind in MDing. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, understand this.
What I am doing using Gold Field, I don't think was the reason for adding goldfield to Deus actually.
I can say this.
If you are using a disc mode program and you get a high tone (questionable), toggle to gold field IAR 5 reactivity between 2.5-3, and sweep, if iron you'll definitely know it 99% of the time. You won't be wondering or worried so much if signal is nonferrous or not.
Set up gold field as adjacent program to your hunt program. Set up GB in it at your site, then you can toggle to anytime to check a target.
I love doing.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is pretty much what I do. It has nothing to do with finding gold, that's for sure.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info and tips!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good work TN and nice write-up. I had a similar experience last week though I wasn’t using Goldfield as my iron checker. I hit a spot that has given up a lot of goodies over the years including a nice USA button. I like to go back there because the site is worn out and I can experiment with new programs to see if I can sniff out any more goodies. I went over a target that I (and every other detectorist) had gone over many times. I always wrote it off as shallow big iron. This time it sounded just a bit more tempting. And since I was in experimental mode, I decided to see what it was. I was still sure it was iron. I was pretty shocked when it turned out to be the nicest complete shoe buckle that I have dug in a long time. It had an iron chape which I am sure helped fool everybody all these years.

I wasn’t using Goldfield but I will set it up as an iron checker and give that a try for sure. In my case I had manually set the GB down to 60 and in 4kHz it was enough to tip the table for the audio on that shoe buckle. Using LF coil of course with the 4kHz.

Any technique that will help me get the upper hand in the iron patches is appreciated. Thanks.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to go back there because the site is worn out and I can experiment with new programs to see if I can sniff out any more goodies.
That is the thing with the XP Deus. No site is ever hunted out. I can go back with a XP and hit obvious stuff other machines miss. It truly is an amazing detector.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread