Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well first I have to start out with the most important part of the day... I got up early since I knew it would be a long day of woods hunting today. Fixed a sensible breakfast of sausage gravy, cheese grits, and drop biscuits. ;D

12.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

I hopped in the Treasuremobile, picked up Rodeo Recon, met up with Hill Billy, and we and set off to find the site of an old grist mill on a creek. We checked in with the property owner, and she was as sweet as always to us. :-* Then we headed off across the pastures through five gates and into the woods. The woods were a mess from the ice storms we had here, and they will Not be fun to hunt in until harvest. :-\ Deadfall everywhere.

2.jpg

We found the site of our mill. :thumbsup: Hunted it a good while and wore ourselves out with the brush and ticks. We found some keepers, but Rodeo Recon stole the show with a great find... more on that later...

Anyhow, so we saw a cave in the side of a bluff, with water running out of it, so we had to climb up and take a look:

3.jpg

We had water shoes and headgear packed since we'd heard about the cave the last trip to hunt the property. So we decided to take a tour of the inside of the cave. Turns out there were several branches of a fairly large system inside. :o The water was flowing out like a small creek, and we waded into the Cold water and back to where several forks in the water source were. Here are some photos.

In the first photo, you see either water droplets shimmering on the cave ceiling from the camera flash, or the aura of gold ionized by the continuous flow of water creating convection currents in the electron shells of the gold. (Whichever of those two you wish to believe.)

4.jpg

In the second photo, you either see steam from perspiration and my breath condensing or the Ghost of Diggins' Past.

6.jpg

And one of the cave-dwellers. He is not a TreasureNet member yet, but we did tell him he should join.

7.jpg

Changing shoes again at the cave entrance, and wondering about the easiest way to get back to where we wanted to hunt.

8.jpg

We also did a little diggin at an old site of ours on the way out. Lots of flowers in the field this time:

9.jpg

Oh, and Rodeo Recon got the find of the hunt. BEAUTIFUL Seated Dime. :hello2: The rest were just the usual keepers. All of us were beat so we didn't even snag photos of the rest of the finds before we parted company. Freshly dug from the woods at the mill site:

10.jpg

And after the dirt was removed:

5.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice day,
private land caves,seated silver and fine company. Sounds like another Great day in the Outdoors. :thumbsup:

NT

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HUNTING TRIP :icon_thumright: u MD in the cave?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well....I sure would like to wake up and find that breakfast on my stove....LOL....and that dime ! WTG and beautiful pictures!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey Buck,

I was just getting ready to shut down the computer and prepare for a full day of boozing with the family tomorrow. :laughing9: I then saw your post and just had to check it out!

First of all, that breakfast looked delicious. That is definitely a true breakfast of a relic hunter!

That Seated dime is beautiful. I do remember you saying that the mill was pre-Civil War, so do you believe that you found the site yet?

Kyle

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Hey Buck,

I was just getting ready to shut down the computer and prepare for a full day of boozing with the family tomorrow. :laughing9: I then saw your post and just had to check it out!

First of all, that breakfast looked delicious. That is definitely a true breakfast of a relic hunter!

That Seated dime is beautiful. I do remember you saying that the mill was pre-Civil War, so do you believe that you found the site yet?

Kyle

Yes, I think we found the site. I believe it was a small operation, and probably overlooked by historians of the time. I will check the census records with my dowsing rods tomorrow and try to figure out the rough time frame. :D The toppled trees made it Very tough hunting, but we have a free pass to return any time we like.

I think I burned off that whole meal before I even got in that cave. :tard:

Keep up the good work,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrtuff said:
NICE HUNTING TRIP :icon_thumright: u MD in the cave?

No we didn't, but we will. 8)

Gypsy Heart said:
Well....I sure would like to wake up and find that breakfast on my stove....LOL....and that dime ! WTG and beautiful pictures!

Gypsy, all you have to do is ask. I'm actually a good cook. :wink: Thank you for the kind words--we had a lot of fun in the country today.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6
now THAT's what I'm talking about! Seated is always Nicee. Great hunt, and it looks like fun cave adventures as well.

Lucky

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Looks like some beautiful areas to hunt in. Too bad the deadwood is choking it out so much. Glad to see an old lady stopped in and asked to go home with you guys :).

Ill get that email off to you later, im lazy and tryin a new cleanin method for one of the coins. I have another couple to add from today as well ;).

Anthony

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Looks like some beautiful areas to hunt in. Too bad the deadwood is choking it out so much. Glad to see an old lady stopped in and asked to go home with you guys :).

Ill get that email off to you later, im lazy and tryin a new cleanin method for one of the coins. I have another couple to add from today as well ;).

Anthony

Sounds great. I'm anxiously awaiting it. :thumbsup:

I've never been one to chase the old ladies--unless they're made of copper, silver, or gold. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this is nice... breakfast, a hike in the woods and a scramble through the cave. Sure hope the bat does not want to be a member, but it was nice of you to ask him. :laughing9: Enjoyed my trip with you. Congrats on the seated :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
BuckleBoy said:
Hello All,

1.Well first I have to start out with the most important part of the day... I got up early since I knew it would be a long day of woods hunting today. Fixed a sensible breakfast of sausage gravy, cheese grits, and drop biscuits.

2.In the first photo, you see either water droplets shimmering on the cave ceiling from the camera flash, or the aura of gold ionized by the continuous flow of water creating convection currents in the electron shells of the gold. (Whichever of those two you wish to believe.)

3.And one of the cave-dwellers. He is not a TreasureNet member yet, but we did tell him he should join.

This post is a triumph!

I have numbered the points in your post that I would like to respond to.

1. That looks delicious, but doesn't it make your ulcers hurt?

2. Reading this part definitely made my ulcers hurt.

3. The avatar alone would be worth it, plus he will keep the bugs down!

Excellent pictures. The dime is a beauty.

And I would like to respond to your responses.

1. A good gravy puts a soothing coating on the ulcers caused by posting in the World News section.

2. Do you not believe in finding gold through InfrabominationalElectrogravitationalPhotoshopEditSpectroscopy?

3. He only makes finds posts at night.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I have no idea what you collage kids are chatting about...

But I really like the bat!

Great post with great pics as always... looked like a fine adventure.

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Glad to see the IB back at it! Love the dime, from all the fallen limbs, looks like the woods around here as well. Sounds like you guys had a full day of it. Did you cats find any flint in the cave? HH- Red

Buckles, just out of curiosity, when you hunt an old site such as that in the woods, how deep generally are you finding coins?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy Heart said:
yep Gypsy, I think we should meet there tomorrow for a bit of them grits! nothin like a man that can cook.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
Wow, this is nice... breakfast, a hike in the woods and a scramble through the cave. Sure hope the bat does not want to be a member, but it was nice of you to ask him. :laughing9: Enjoyed my trip with you. Congrats on the seated :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

Thank you for the kind reply RR. You are a ray of sunshine on this forum.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redlined said:
Glad to see the IB back at it! Love the dime, from all the fallen limbs, looks like the woods around here as well. Sounds like you guys had a full day of it. Did you cats find any flint in the cave? HH- Red

Buckles, just out of curiosity, when you hunt an old site such as that in the woods, how deep generally are you finding coins?

7 hour day today, with lots of "dead time" walking from spot to spot, then a long hike back to the car at the end. Also spent about an hour in the cave system.

We didn't find any flint in the caves--and we did look hard in hopes of finding even some flakes or signs. Hill Billy is a Native American artifact guru.

In the woods, most of the finds are only a few inches deep. In pastures, they are deeper, unless those pastures were woods in the past.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - that qualifies as an AWESOME day for sure!!!!! Congrats and thanks for snappin all of the pix!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, looks in good nick :hello2:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another Iron Brigade adventure with positive relic and coin results BB. I bet it was nice and cool in the cave. Nice coin. Good hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread