Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well first I have to start out with the most important part of the day... I got up early since I knew it would be a long day of woods hunting today. Fixed a sensible breakfast of sausage gravy, cheese grits, and drop biscuits. ;D

12.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

I hopped in the Treasuremobile, picked up Rodeo Recon, met up with Hill Billy, and we and set off to find the site of an old grist mill on a creek. We checked in with the property owner, and she was as sweet as always to us. :-* Then we headed off across the pastures through five gates and into the woods. The woods were a mess from the ice storms we had here, and they will Not be fun to hunt in until harvest. :-\ Deadfall everywhere.

2.jpg

We found the site of our mill. :thumbsup: Hunted it a good while and wore ourselves out with the brush and ticks. We found some keepers, but Rodeo Recon stole the show with a great find... more on that later...

Anyhow, so we saw a cave in the side of a bluff, with water running out of it, so we had to climb up and take a look:

3.jpg

We had water shoes and headgear packed since we'd heard about the cave the last trip to hunt the property. So we decided to take a tour of the inside of the cave. Turns out there were several branches of a fairly large system inside. :o The water was flowing out like a small creek, and we waded into the Cold water and back to where several forks in the water source were. Here are some photos.

In the first photo, you see either water droplets shimmering on the cave ceiling from the camera flash, or the aura of gold ionized by the continuous flow of water creating convection currents in the electron shells of the gold. (Whichever of those two you wish to believe.)

4.jpg

In the second photo, you either see steam from perspiration and my breath condensing or the Ghost of Diggins' Past.

6.jpg

And one of the cave-dwellers. He is not a TreasureNet member yet, but we did tell him he should join.

7.jpg

Changing shoes again at the cave entrance, and wondering about the easiest way to get back to where we wanted to hunt.

8.jpg

We also did a little diggin at an old site of ours on the way out. Lots of flowers in the field this time:

9.jpg

Oh, and Rodeo Recon got the find of the hunt. BEAUTIFUL Seated Dime. :hello2: The rest were just the usual keepers. All of us were beat so we didn't even snag photos of the rest of the finds before we parted company. Freshly dug from the woods at the mill site:

10.jpg

And after the dirt was removed:

5.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoyed the story, pics Buckles. Even though the finds may have been a little short for you guys it looked like you really enjoyed yourselves. That would be some tough hunting this time of year. But it looks like you live for it :icon_sunny:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and coverage of hunt. Interesting site and finds :icon_sunny: More finds to come :hello2:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Bats, Ghosts, Ticks, Cholesterol Breakfast and Seated Lady...Nice, Very Nice...Can I go? Congrats and nice pics....jgas

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, another great post and just getting to explore in the cave was a trip in itself! Wonderful place to get outdoors and enjoy your hobby and being with friends.

Don

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
My feet still hurt. What a day of hiking through tall grass and woods that looked like a bomb had gone off. The cave was extremely challenging to reach, but we made it. Congrats to RR on his Seated Dime. He deserved it after climbing that hillside.

HB

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX
Awesome dime :thumbsup:

Some times I miss them old caves. My caving old days were fun , like to go to some caves again. :(

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Looks like another fine adventure. Congrats on the dime.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sound's like a killer day Buckle's.....Congrat's on the Seated.I'm Hungry :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Sound's like a killer day Buckle's.....Congrat's on the Seated.I'm Hungry :thumbsup:

Feed the Hunger, my friend. That's a killer grouping of buckles in your avatar photo. :headbang:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Another Iron Brigade adventure with positive relic and coin results BB. I bet it was nice and cool in the cave. Nice coin. Good hunting!!!

It was wonderful in the cave. A great break from the heat outside. It was nice to not have to always be stepping over tree limbs for a while, too. An 1880s Seated is a little on the new side for us--in fact, it is one of the newest silvers we've found in the past two years. But still a nice looking coin. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
My feet still hurt. What a day of hiking through tall grass and woods that looked like a bomb had gone off. The cave was extremely challenging to reach, but we made it. Congrats to RR on his Seated Dime. He deserved it after climbing that hillside.

HB

It's our turn next time. :icon_pirat:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Wonderful way to spend the day! Thanks for taking us with you Buckles!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Will, another great post and just getting to explore in the cave was a trip in itself! Wonderful place to get outdoors and enjoy your hobby and being with friends.

Don

That's a large part of what the 4th of July weekend is about for me--being with friends. Thank you for the reply, Don. I always look forward to reading your posts.

Regards,

Buckles

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Buckles :hello: