History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Given that the island is called Oak Island and that the oak trees aren't native to the island (so I've read), has any one established where the species of oak tree is native to and if that would have any bearing on who visited the island?

Welcome to Tnet!

I actually like this idea. I've not heard of it being done before. It would be interesting to have it DNA tested to see if their origin can be traced. It might provide a clue based on actual science.

According to Dan Henskee there is a legend that the treasure wouldn't be found until all the Oak trees on the island were gone (Documentary "Oak Island: Mysterious Treasure on Oak Island? (17 Nov. 2000)") he said only one remained at that time. I'm not sure, 14 years later if there are any new ones or if that one was ever removed.

Fhaoilgeal

Feb 12, 2014
Dallas, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the link flyadive and for the welcome HWJ Jr.

I kind of wondered about the oak planks in the money pit as well - were they made from oak wood native to the island or carried in by whomever constructed the pit?
Since so much was made of identifying the coconut matting - which was fascinating, I wondered why given the abilities of science to date and gather critical information from soil and wood samples, why that kind of analysis wasn't considered a useful tool as well.

The more I read and watch about Oak Island the more it seems like an onion with multiple layers of historical significance and possible overlay rather than a single and sole version of the truth revealing all.
I hope the show is renewed given the latest teases about the undisclosed discovery, not to mention the fun of watching the interaction between the brothers.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem is the planks and pretty much everything else from the first excavations are no where to be found. This is why many people even throw away the whole idea that anything was ever there and it was just a sink hole.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Problem is the planks and pretty much everything else from the first excavations are no where to be found. This is why many people even throw away the whole idea that anything was ever there and it was just a sink hole.

I would imagine the wood from the first excavation was just tossed aside and rotted away. 200 years ago the didn't have carbon dating and such and probably could never imagine such technology... I do believe something is there to be found.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One would think after searching for so long some kind of definitive proof would be there to make people try. Heck, I metal detected the local park only twice before I gave up. Yet there is some allure there that keeps people trying, that I believe is the true mystery of the island.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get the OK I will post what it is for everyone to check out. Ya I could of stayed quiet but someone else would of figured it out and I just wanted to be the first to bring it up. Could I be wrong. No Way. I was with everyone until this happen and I knew some would think I was nutz, but this was to important to keep quiet. What was found will not prove a treasure was on Oak Island but it will tell us who was there and when . I am trying to prove the Templars where on Oak Island and this may do it. When the owners of Oak Island called us to be on the TV series I was busy and turned them down . Now I am willing to take my crew to Oak Island to help them . They are the only ones doing anything to answer questions and they are new to this kind of hunt. They had made some bad choices and they are paying for it now . Instead of cutting them down Treasure Hunters on this site should help them, thats why we are here. Treasure Hunters allways get called names from the public because they think we are all nutz. Well I hope to prove them wrong.

Thanks for the quick response. As I said before, I'm excited for you and also excited with you! I'm looking forward to hearing what has been found and what answers it can provide to solving the mystery of Oak Island. I read about Oak Island many years ago and it's one of those things you can speculate on, but hope to see the mystery finally resolved in your lifetime. A little disappointing if treasure isn't there to be found, but exciting to know who was there and when they were there, as that could change history and lead to another quest.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, first post here and thought I'd get my newbie question out of the way and apologize if it's been answered somewhere else.

Given that the island is called Oak Island and that the oak trees aren't native to the island (so I've read), has any one established where the species of oak tree is native to and if that would have any bearing on who visited the island?

I like the show and like Gold Maven, I've also been reading about Oak Island since I was a kid. There are really some great and often poignant human interest aspects to the show, but the editing of the video seems designed to obscure more than reveal (IMO). Like everyone else though I wish the brothers well and hope they succeed. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Welcome to the forum Fhaoilgeal! You bring up an excellent point. I'm sure a botanist could determine what species of oak trees are on the island, their nativity, and through the study of tree rings probably give a time frame for when those trees were planted.

It's been stated that the original money pit collapsed at some point. If there's any planking or oaks logs left it would probably be buried within that original pit.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys you need to get real. This show is a huge joke . There has never been anything there other than some traders on the island . They will never find anything because there is nothing to find. Another place the Knights Templar hid something . Man between this ridiculous show and Scott Wolter and America Unearthed those Templars sure got around. I hope they all meet up and jump face first into the swamp again and pull up another planted coin... This time I pray it will be a Lincoln penny .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry guys you need to get real. This show is a huge joke . There has never been anything there other than some traders on the island . They will never find anything because there is nothing to find. Another place the Knights Templar hid something . Man between this ridiculous show and Scott Wolter and America Unearthed those Templars sure got around. I hope they all meet up and jump face first into the swamp again and pull up another planted coin... This time I pray it will be a Lincoln penny .
Don't hold back now...Tell us how you really feel! LOL!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Diesel sorry I just can't take it anymore man it amazes me how people give any credibility to some of these shows. Oh hold on ... Bigfoot is standing in my front yard!!!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were going to post about it... But, the people you work for stopped that. ???

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know ? I don't understand why there is so much negativity ? Why doesn't everyone keep an open mind? There is so much more opposition about oak then there is people whom are non-apposed! Why is that? Jealousy ? I think so..... Most are jealous and wish it was them doing a show on one of the best networks on TV, working on one of the best treasure hunts of this decade!

I know I am!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know ? I don't understand why there is so much negativity ? Why doesn't everyone keep an open mind? There is so much more opposition about oak then there is people whom are non-apposed! Why is that? Jealousy ? I think so..... Most are jealous and wish it was them doing a show on one of the best networks on TV, working on one of the best treasure hunts of this decade! I know I am!
im enjoying the show it's better reality than most the other reality shows. I like bearing sea gold too along with the metal detecting shows. I'm a treasure guy at heart and love watching people who are like minded.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
As far as reality shows go, I think some people hate them because it isn't the traditional TV Luke sitcoms, cartoons, documentary's and such. Some people just oppose new ways, ideas, and anything that doesn't fit their view of how the world should be... By the way I am not speaking of anyone in particular...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Kind of like most of the guys I work with. They HATE computers, smart phones and debit cards! I'm not making that up either. They are a bunch of sour pusses.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im enjoying the show it's better reality than most the other reality shows. I like bearing sea gold too along with the metal detecting shows. I'm a treasure guy at heart and love watching people who are like minded.

I definitely enjoy the show.
I make no apologies for believing they spiked the site for drama.
I don't think they are necessarily lying about their beliefs on the island,
and will always enjoy watching treasure hunters also.
but do take everything they show & say on the program with more then
one grain of salt.

that's at least a grain of salt for the Producers who want to keep people interested.
and a grain of salt for the players who want the pay check (Financing) to continue.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. My understanding is that the Oaks are not native to Oak Island and I have been trying to figure out for some time how they got there. Oaks are not fast growers. There are historical records of groves in Nova Scotia and down the Eastern seaboard, which has led to the theory that our native peoples actually managed the forests on a large scale and the "virgin" forests encountered by the Europeans was not virgin at all. Oak Island does not fit too well into that theory though, which keeps us all stumped.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oak could mean anything! Who said it was an oak tree?

similar words(101)
pedunculate oak
dwarf chinquapin oak
jack oak
golden oak mushroom
myrtle oak
water oak
bear oak
scarlet oak
japanese oak
burr oak
common oak
southern red oak
southern live oak
european turkey oak
garry oak
maul oak
brash oak
red-flowered silky oak
valley white oak
nuttall oak
to sport one`s oak
iron oak
valley oak
jerusalem oak
box white oak
oak spangle
coast live oak
huckleberry oak
pin oak
canyon oak
cow oak
poison oak
oak gall
oak leather
seaside scrub oak
oak pruner
turkey oak
oak wart
shumard red oak
dwarf chinkapin oak
brown oak
water white oak
live oak
oak apple
oak beauty
basket oak
western poison oak
cork oak
spanish oak
dwarf oak
overcup oak
post oak
eastern poison oak
american white oak
Next >>

swamp spanish oak
swamp white oak
swamp red oak
swamp oak
swamp chestnut oak
scrub oak
black oak
california black oak
chinquapin oak
chinkapin oak
blackjack oak
chinese cork oak
bitter oak
chestnut oak
northern pin oak
northern oak fern
gall oak
canyon live oak
holly oak
evergreen oak
green oak
yellow oak
african oak
english white oak
kermes oak
oregon white oak
yellow chestnut oak
indian oak
possum oak
new zealand oak
shingle oak
mossycup oak
english oak
mossy-cup oak
nutgall oak
barren oak
laurel oak
red oak
white oak
interior live oak
bur oak
willow oak
tanbark oak
quercitron oak
holm oak
bluejack oak
holly-leaved oak

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also

Oak Name Meaning English: topographic name for someone who lived near an oak tree or in an oak wood, from Middle English oke ‘oak’, also used in the singular in a collective sense. In some cases the surname may be a habitational name from minor places named with this word, such as Oake in Somerset. It is possible that it was sometimes also used as a nickname for someone ‘as strong as oak’.Indian (Maharashtra): Hindu (Brahman) name of unknown meaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread