History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a photo that shows some of the oak trees that used to be there - two in particular on a point before Smith's Cove.

35624_399995751324_7536954_n.jpg

They are in an interesting location, particularly if one buys into the idea that Smith's Cove has a manmade beach on it.

Last edited:

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are images of some of the inscribed stones found on the island as well. The thought is that they are connected somehow, but who knows for sure.
35624_400000581324_3167506_n.jpg

35624_400000591324_3045302_n.jpg

35624_400000596324_1970634_n.jpg

Mikey667

Feb 13, 2014
Your Mom's House, Florida
Detector(s) used
The BIG one
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone... my first post. I have been reading many great theroys and speculation. I do not subscribe to the sunken viking ship though. I do believe that one is absurd.

It is my belief that the coconut fibers are the key to this mystery as the carbon dating has proven. It was used as an aquafer to flood the whole of the pit and any shaft that could be dug. A layer of these fibers underground would last many, many years and certainly would flood the whole area. I believe the guy who excavated the whole site saw this, then filled it back in when he noticed it would be hopless. In other words, he gave up.

Oak Island has facinated me for years and it is truly an honor to be with others in this forum with like minds.

May we ALL find what we are searching for!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Flyadive pointed out, there seems to be a heck of a lot of different oak trees. What type of oak trees are in the pic, and why do you think they are in an interesting location?

Sherbrooke

Feb 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this is my first post to a very interesting site.

I have followed the Oak Island mystery for many years (since that Readers' Digest article) and wondered if anyone was going to take this any further. In all my research on the topic I have never come across the notion that 7 people have to die. Was this made up for the programme because perhaps one person did die? (Hope not).

The other point I can make is that the people making the programme have already found their treasure - the proceeds from an interesting and gripping TV show ;-)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have followed the Oak Island mystery for many years (since that Readers' Digest article) and wondered if anyone was going to take this any further. In all my research on the topic I have never come across the notion that 7 people have to die. Was this made up for the programme because perhaps one person did die? (Hope not).

The other point I can make is that the people making the programme have already found their treasure - the proceeds from an interesting and gripping TV show ;-)

My Guess it as made up for the Show to Draw the Morbid at heart.

By saying six have died & a Seventh Most, some will tone in Thinking they will get to
see a 7th. Die :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Guess it as made up for the Show to Draw the Morbid at heart.

By saying six have died & a Seventh Must, some will tune in Thinking they will get to
see a 7th. Die :icon_scratch:

however , What happens if a 7th. Dies ?

How long till they edit the number to 8 ? 11, or 13 ?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Here are images of some of the inscribed stones found on the island as well. The thought is that they are connected somehow, but who knows for sure.

I'm fairly sure that the date on the first stone is 1935, and that it's not connected with the other two. I also have issues with everything from the shapes of the letters to the periods in the abbreviation. This looks modern to me.

The stylized G may mean anything, or nothing.

I can't make out the third stone.

Actually, take a look at these three pictures again and focus not on what's carved, but how it was carved and how those carvings have weathered. Do you see any differences?

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dave, there are differences in the style of the letters on the stones. What I am saying is that others are suggesting a link here, that's all. I posted this stuff for others, not to prove or disprove anything. I have my own theories, but prefer to leave it at that. I'm just throwing stuff up here for folks to see.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Sherbrooke,

I can tell you that many of us folks who are from NS didn't hear about the notion of a 7th person having to die until this show came on. I actually was quite disheartened to see things presented in such a way, but that's just me.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. One of the theories running around out there is that because the oak trees were on a point, they may have acted as a marker of sorts. As to the type of oak, I'm not clear on that as of yet myself, but I'm still digging on that one!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really dug in to look for the origins of the "7" curse with the 'ole google and the first mentions I can find are from that documentary in 2000:
"(Bill Milstead Investor-Oak Island Exploration Company)

''yeah'' well one of the main legends is that there is a pack of dogs on the Island ''aww'' with fiery eyes that roam the island to protect the treasure pit also a crow that is maybe the embodiment of some other spirit supposedly he watches over the money pit, we also got the legend that the treasure will never be found until seven people have died so far six have died. Perhaps that the most famous legend' is no one will find the treasure until every Oak tree on the island is gone and as of right now there is one.""

CAW!

Mikey667

Feb 13, 2014
Detector(s) used
The BIG one
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the stone with the letter "G", I culled this from the internet:

Another clearly Masonic stone is a granite boulder found near the Cave-in Pit in 1967. Overturned by a bulldozer it bore on its underside the letter “G” in a rectangle (what Masons term an oblong square). G denotes the Grand Geometer of the Universe-God, the central focus of Masonic teachings-and is “the most public and familiar of all symbols in Freemasonry," observes Mark Finnan (1997, 152). He continues: “The presence of this symbol on Oak Island and its location in the east, seen as the source of light in Masonic teachings, is further indication that individuals with a fundamental knowledge of Freemasonry were likely involved.”

Myself, like FinderKeeper believes, is that all evidence points toward the Knights Templar and the Free Masons. They were very smart and very religious. Pirates, when burying their treasure, intend to go back and retrieve it. The design of the pit suggests that whatever is down there wasn't meant to be dug back up for a really long time.

While FinderKeeper suggests that the treasure has been removed or was never there to begin with, I for one believe there is something still down there just waiting to be found, wether it be in the swamp or the pit.

Last edited:

Golden Boy1

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the treasure is under the last remaining oak tree... :headbang:

Last edited:

Centexhunter

Greenie
Nov 24, 2012
Salado, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden--that's what I was thinking. Maybe there were 6 other oaks that have "died", and the 7th must die (be dug up) to reveal the secret! lol

Mikey667

Feb 13, 2014
Detector(s) used
The BIG one
Primary Interest:
Other
@CentexHunter... hey, good thinking. I would have never thought of that. While I don't subscribe much to curses nor myths, you posited an excellent theroy!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
As for the stone with the letter "G", I culled this from the internet:

Another clearly Masonic stone is a granite boulder found near the Cave-in Pit in 1967. Overturned by a bulldozer it bore on its underside the letter “G” in a rectangle (what Masons term an oblong square). G denotes the Grand Geometer of the Universe-God, the central focus of Masonic teachings-and is “the most public and familiar of all symbols in Freemasonry," observes Mark Finnan (1997, 152). He continues: “The presence of this symbol on Oak Island and its location in the east, seen as the source of light in Masonic teachings, is further indication that individuals with a fundamental knowledge of Freemasonry were likely involved.”

It could mean Masons, or it could mean something else. It could mean nothing at all. Is that sort of a stylized G commonly used by Freemasons?

So we have one stone that appears modern (and if not, the date precedes their official church endorsement by about two centuries), one (undated) with a G on it that may or may not be Masonic in nature, and one that's indecipherable, with all three having been carved in different styles. The fact that they're of different styles and appear to be of differing ages based on weathering, I'm inclined to think that they're not related to one another, and that while one may be evidence of a given theory, the other two won't support the same theory. I'm not yet sold, but I'm always interested in seeing new evidence that might change my mind.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could mean Masons, or it could mean something else. It could mean nothing at all. Is that sort of a stylized G commonly used by Freemasons?

So we have one stone that appears modern (and if not, the date precedes their official church endorsement by about two centuries), one (undated) with a G on it that may or may not be Masonic in nature, and one that's indecipherable, with all three having been carved in different styles. The fact that they're of different styles and appear to be of differing ages based on weathering, I'm inclined to think that they're not related to one another, and that while one may be evidence of a given theory, the other two won't support the same theory. I'm not yet sold, but I'm always interested in seeing new evidence that might change my mind.

Looks to me like it could be a B a poor attempt at an 8
or a Small backwards g

attachment.php

Either way, Not Mason that I know

images.jpg

anyway, I'm going with 'B' or it's natural

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread