History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Rimfax Radar Technology may solve the mystery of "Oak Island"

mars-2020-rover.jpg

With Rimfax Radar the technology exist today to locate the Freemason's Treasure Vault!

Mars 2020 rover's RIMFAX radar will 'see' deep underground - Technology & Science - CBC News

We can find the "Vault" without even digging the necessary 20 foot hole down to the "Vault".

RIMFAX a Canadian Invention is - "something akin to X-ray vision so it can "see" right through rocks and dirt, and spot features buried underground."

"RIMFAX is a ground-penetrating radar device that will be able to peer dozens of metres into the ground, looking for buried sand dunes, lava flows, stream channels and salt layers"

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Way will this work on Oak Island or at the Castle site in New Ross, NS. There is to much high grade clay at these sites. The clay at Oak Island is 90' deep and at New Ross its 120' deep. Most radar units will only go through 5' of clay and in Nova Scotia we have the highest grade thats why there are no Radar Units in Nova Scotia. I tried to locate one for our site at New Ross and I was told this many times. The clay at New Ross is the best ever it is high in Quartz and Sillica. This kind of clay was used to cover a local land fill in Nova Scotia. Radar will not work here.

View attachment 1040757

With Rimfax Radar the technology exist today to locate the Freemason's Treasure Vault!

Mars 2020 rover's RIMFAX radar will 'see' deep underground - Technology & Science - CBC News

We can find the "Vault" without even digging the necessary 20 foot hole down to the "Vault".

RIMFAX a Canadian Invention is - "something akin to X-ray vision so it can "see" right through rocks and dirt, and spot features buried underground."

"RIMFAX is a ground-penetrating radar device that will be able to peer dozens of metres into the ground, looking for buried sand dunes, lava flows, stream channels and salt layers"

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
No Way will this work on Oak Island or at the Castle site in New Ross, NS. There is to much high grade clay at these sites. The clay at Oak Island is 90' deep and at New Ross its 120' deep. Most radar units will only go through 5' of clay and in Nova Scotia we have the highest grade thats why there are no Radar Units in Nova Scotia. I tried to locate one for our site at New Ross and I was told this many times. The clay at New Ross is the best ever it is high in Quartz and Sillica. This kind of clay was used to cover a local land fill in Nova Scotia. Radar will not work here.

This was designed to work on Mars!
It is different than other radar units.
They claim it can see through rocks - clay I would imagine would be no problem.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I interject something here please? Using rocks as signposts, inscribing symbols and linguistic information on them, is a method of communication that is tens of thousands of years old. If someone were to inscribe something hundreds of years ago, the elements would have had their day and over time the markings would have, of necessity, deteriorated. That makes recognizing them quite difficult to do, but because the modern eye cannot decipher them readily does not meant they are not there or that they don't mean anything. We are not talking about Europe hundreds of years ago, but wilderness in these parts during that same time period. Using the land and its geographical features would have been the only way to communicate here, particularly as settlements were extremely scarce. Just sayin'......

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's another tidbit of information if anyone is interested.

It is known that Champlain and Du Monts used Matthieu Da Costa as an interpreter on their voyages. Da Costa was African by the way and it is firmly in the historical record that he was here. He originally was in the employ of the Portuguese.

So the question remains as to when did he learn to communicate with the Mi'kmaw to begin with? He's the only interpreter on record. There may have been others.

The Portuguese had a leg up on everyone else regarding their ability to communicate with the Mi'kmaw. The Portuguese were here well before the French. If the Portuguese had any reason to hide/bury/construct anything up here, that ability to communicate with the Mi'kmaw would come in quite handy, further cemented by their pre-existing trade relationship.

I'm really leaning toward the Portuguese regarding Oak Island, but that's just my take......

Pete_c

Sep 14, 2014
Aston Clinton
Detector(s) used
Mark I eyeball
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, newbie here.

This thread has been a real eye opener, I have always liked the mystery of Oak Island and thought the TV show was disappointing to say the least. I'm not going to go over whats already been discussed regarding that.

I have a question for you guys though, has there ever been any searches or work done on the surrounding islands?

Cheers,

Pete

Parklife

Sep 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Is this thread dead? I hope not

I have a couple of questions that would need the expertise of a structural engineer who knows about mining.

I've taken info from this book:

Oak Island and Its Lost Treasure: Third Edition - Graham Harris, Les MacPhie - Google Books

Which appears to have some interesting speculative diagrams of the original money pit. Page 30 and page 32

Questions:

1. The pit was supposed to be at least 100 foot deep and cut into hard clay. There is no record of the pit walls being lined to hold back potential collapsing walls. How realistic is it that a 100 foot long pit could be built into clay without lining? Not forgetting that some theories have an elaborate vault room near or at the bottom that would need to be shored up in some way.

2. The oak platforms at every 10 feet (which apparently are strong enough to hold 10 foot of very heavy backfill) are apparently driven into the clay pit sidewalls. Assuming the timber has to be wider than the width of the pit to stop falling under the weight, how do you get those timbers into recesses in the pit wall? I'm assuming notches have to be cut and space above the notch made in the wall to allow the timbers to be slotted in place. However this would further weaken the wall and make cave-ins more likely.

I may be lacking in understanding the strength of hard clay. Any views very welcome.

Thanks
Parklife

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, newbie here.

This thread has been a real eye opener, I have always liked the mystery of Oak Island and thought the TV show was disappointing to say the least. I'm not going to go over whats already been discussed regarding that.

I have a question for you guys though, has there ever been any searches or work done on the surrounding islands?

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,

You may want to look thru some of the old posts from FinderKeeper. He has been in, and done work in the area.

cheers

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

I have a couple of questions that would need the expertise of a structural engineer who knows about mining.

I've taken info from this book:

Oak Island and Its Lost Treasure: Third Edition - Graham Harris, Les MacPhie - Google Books

Which appears to have some interesting speculative diagrams of the original money pit. Page 30 and page 32

Questions:

1. The pit was supposed to be at least 100 foot deep and cut into hard clay. There is no record of the pit walls being lined to hold back potential collapsing walls. How realistic is it that a 100 foot long pit could be built into clay without lining? Not forgetting that some theories have an elaborate vault room near or at the bottom that would need to be shored up in some way.

2. The oak platforms at every 10 feet (which apparently are strong enough to hold 10 foot of very heavy backfill) are apparently driven into the clay pit sidewalls. Assuming the timber has to be wider than the width of the pit to stop falling under the weight, how do you get those timbers into recesses in the pit wall? I'm assuming notches have to be cut and space above the notch made in the wall to allow the timbers to be slotted in place. However this would further weaken the wall and make cave-ins more likely.

I may be lacking in understanding the strength of hard clay. Any views very welcome.

Thanks
Parklife

Hi Parklife
Many 100 foot deep wells were dug on the Canadian Prairie by one or two diggers with no shoring of the sides needed.

From my studies and research shown “The Oak Island Money Pit” was constructed with 9 levels of oak platforms.
These platforms served 2 purposes

Ceremonial:

The Freemasons constructed Oak Island based on their masonic rituals with the Money Pit built according to “Enoch’s Temple”.

Before the flood of Noah, Enoch built his own Money Pit going down 9 levels concealing treasure and religious artifacts (Ark of the Covenant, Rod of Moses, and the true name of God)

In 1750 ad these Freemason’s ritual referred to Enoch’s Temple as the Royal Arch which represented the cavern located at the last level.

Enoch’s Temple had a keystone placed within the shaft (same as at The Money Pit) booby trapped with a pillar of fire (water trap at the Money Pit) and a belief that only the righteous could retrieve the treasure.

It was written that 3 sojourners at the time of Solomon located this cavern and retrieved the treasure.

Architectural:

The Money Pit’s shaft was never intended to be used again by the Freemasons to retrieve their treasure.
They knew the true location of the cavern from above ground.
The Money Pit’s shaft became an obstacle and a diversion for any unworthy treasure seeker.

The 9 wooden platform levels played an architectural purpose allowing ladders and the movement of workers down into the shaft.

More important was that these platforms distributed the weight of the back fill, preventing natural settlement from triggering the airlock at the eighth level and prematurely setting off the water trap.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a post on Feb 24,2014 page 30 of this thread about using Ground Radar on the frozen swamp area to locate camp fire stones and other artifacts located in the swamp. Now I see Marty and Rick in the new ad for the TV show walking through snow on Oak Island. Did they take my advice? Time will tell. Below is my post.

As for the biggest find since the Money Pit was found. Well now I can talk about it. Marty and Rick got gold readings in the swamp and sent a diver down to get the gold but after he removed some mud and stones the gold readings where gone to.
huh.gif
. They looked like fools at the end of the TV show but they may of discovered something big and didn't know it. Thats when I called the History Channel and later called Marty and Rick. What happen to Marty and Rick happen to us on our TV show American Unearthed. Our equipment ( Long Range Locator, GPL, 2 Box, hand held detector ) all showed gold at the site but when we returned later and dug it was gone. What we found was Magnetite stones, thousands of them in the clay. They read gold but are made up of iron
icon_scratch.gif
( I have posted this on the Hope Stone site, Oak Island). A earth magnet will stick to the stones. I talked to Bounty Hunter and they said our equipmet was messed up . I still don't know why . But back to the stones on Oak Island , Marty said they found 6 or 8 of them in a small area with the coin. Well the swamp is the lowest point of Oak Island and when the water leavel was lower this area had the only drinking water on the Island. Rember they tried to drain the swamp but this area still had water because it was deeper.
Well before this area was a swamp I think it was a pond of fresh water and what a better place to camp at. What they found was a camp site and during the time someone lost a coin there. If you wanted to take a bath would you jump in the ice cold ocean or in a warmer water at a pond. After all they had to camp some place on the island and no one ever found anything because its all under and in the swamp. If they use Ground Radar now they could check to see if there are more piles of stones around the pond area of the swamp. Just think about it. If I am right there could be broken pottery, bottles and more to date . If the 1600's coin and camp stones were found 8' down then anything from the Templar period would be 9' to 10' down and thats why I am willing to help them now. Not to find a hidden treasure but to find out who was on this island and when.
I am posting this info because no one lets me know what is going on and this ground radar has to be done fast and a dig has to be done by a University and not by Marty and Rick. Like I told them if they find anything , everyone will think it was planted but if a University found something it would be accepted. The coin was real and not planted. Everything I posted here makes sence to me So as I asked above what is the first thing you would do if you had the chance on Oak Island . I WOULD CHECK OUT THE SWAMP. sure no treasure is there but our questions could be answered.
Last edited by FinderKeeper; Feb 24, 2014 at 03:20 AM.​

Last edited:

eusicumine

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel sorry for Lagina brothers, becouse they have "unknown treasure fever hunt" so they cannot see the truth. There is something on island but probably nobody can find it anymore after the flood. Anyway somebody want to delay and misinform the brothers so they cannot get closer to what is there. So "they" sent Petter Amundsen to convince Lagina brothers to search in wrong spot . Also probably Petter Amundsen throw the spanish coin (8) there to make the brothers search that area and spend time and money untill they give up. Think like this: if someone in the past hide a fabulous treasure there, was so stupid to put or throw a coin like that there? its like....hey!!!! here is a huge treasure!!! find it!!! no way.
I just dont know why, if they spent so much money, they didnt mapped in 3D the entire isle.
Im not a native english speacker so sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, newbie here.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete, I know there have been some searching of other islands, but nothing of substance has ever been reported. That's doesn't mean nothing has been found however. Nova Scotians are a bit of a secretive bunch when it comes to sharing information with "come from aways" as outsiders are known as in these parts.

For what it's worth, nearby Frog Island would, for me, be the first island to do some serious work on, but there are hundreds of islands here - a needle in a haystack to say the least!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Spanish coins and magnetite that "reads" as gold, all planted in a swamp that used to be a pond that was frequented by Freemasons, but in the background there is a darker, more subtle plot being carried out by Scandinavians? Heck, it makes as much sense as any of the other theories. Why not?

I continue to wish the Lagina brothers well in their search. As they're spending their own money, they haven't killed anyone yet, and they've arguably turned up an actual bit of antiquity, they're doing far better than every treasure recovery operation in the area has to date that I'm aware of. Keep it up, guys!

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"Oak Island treasure hunt requires archeologist, Ince says"

The good news is the Lagina brothers have located over 100 antique artifacts
The bad news is that it is going to get a whole lot more expensive to search the island.

From the Herald News source

"Oak Island treasure hunt requires archeologist, Ince says"

"The province has told two Americans whose treasure hunting on Oak Island is the basis of a reality television series to hire an independent archeologist because of items they have handed over to the Nova Scotia Museum.

Chester-St. Margaret’s MLA Denise Peterson-Rafuse says this shows that legislation to protect artifacts on the island isn’t strong enough and an archeologist should already be on site.

Tony Ince, minister of communities, culture and heritage, has written a letter to Rick Lagina and Craig Tester acknowledging the Nova Scotia Museum has received items they uncovered during efforts to solve the mystery of Oak Island.

Their exploits are the subject of the History Channel television series The Curse of Oak Island.

Museum staff have determined the items, kept in a climate-controlled collections storage site, are “a mix of relatively recent and historical items,” and typical of those found at historic archeology sites in Nova Scotia.

Ince advised the men to hire an archeologist to monitor their activity on the site, which is permitted through the Special Places Protection Act and the Oak Island Treasure Act.

“Our assessment is that there are enough items of archeological and historic interest being unearthed to warrant an archeologist being present and monitoring all further treasure hunting work that you may be undertaking on the island,” Ince wrote.

Department spokesman Glenn Friel said all artifacts in Nova Scotia must be turned over to the Nova Scotia Museum. To date, 84 have been submitted from Oak Island and an additional 25 are in conservation treatment under the direction of a conservator.

Peterson-Rafuse introduced a bill in April that she said would ensure greater protection of any artifacts found on the island. It was not dealt with in the spring setting so she is reintroducing the bill Oct. 15.

She said Ince “recognizes the importance of historical and archeological artifacts on the island and this potential legislation would protect that,” so she hopes the government will support her bill.

She is proposing that treasure hunting permits on the island fall under a new heritage research permit. The holder would have two years to conduct exploration, during which time the province would have the right to appoint an archeologist at the permit holder’s expense.

“We need accountability and we need an on-site archeologist appointed by the province and for the treasure hunters to cover the cost,” she said.

With no on-site monitoring to date, “We really don’t know what left that island.”

Archeological consultant Wynand Baerken of Chester Marine Services said he supports the proposed legislation, particularly in light of new evidence and mounting theories concerning the secrets of Oak Island.

He said a decade of research by Norwegian researcher and documentary-maker Petter Amundsen shows Shakespeare’s works have “clear links to the island” and that the Knights Templar treasures could be buried there.

Friel said the province is committed to protecting artifacts found in Nova Scotia and the three holders of treasure hunting licences on Oak Island have been informed of their responsibilities."

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Call To Arms – Treasure Hunters Defend Your Rights!

The Canadian Government is once again trying to impose its rights over those of treasure hunters.

N.S. MLA seeks to change rules for Oak Island treasure hunters | CTV Atlantic News

For many years our Government was requested to fund research and exploration into what may lie on Oak Island but graciously refused stating that no Canadian taxpayer’s money would ever be spent searching there or anywhere else under rumours of buried treasure.

It has always been treasure hunters who had the will to try and the use of their own money to pursue such free enterprises.

The Lagina brothers as well have spent their own money and time searching Oak Island.

With new proposed regulations this may change.

Cast your vote in the attachment and let our Government know where you stand on this!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hmmm... well, I saw "advert" for the History Channel OAK ISLAND TV 11/4th, last night... it DOES look interesting; will watch it.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

It's still ticking over, although it's not as active as it used to be.

I'm not an engineer, but I'm willing to field your questions. I also apologize for missing this a month ago. I tend to skim here nowadays, as the theories have already been advanced and largely debunked.

1. It's possible that the shoring was removed as the pit was evacuated, which would indicate that there was no desire to recover what was buried. This kind of makes sense, at least until you consider the size and depth of the ocean that had to be crossed to get it there.

2. I'll answer your question with another question: if that pit was never meant to be excavated again, why leave platforms behind? I'll throw another question out there: if platforms were discovered, where are the remnaints now?

A tip of the hat to your critical thinking skills. You're on the right track.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is still ticking and ready to explode with new evidence recently found!

It's still ticking over, although it's not as active as it used to be.
Still Ticking and ready to explode!

QUOTE= 2. I'll answer your question with another question: if that pit was never meant to be excavated again, why leave platforms behind? I'll throw another question out there: if platforms were discovered, where are the remnaints now?

The 9 wooden platform levels played an architectural purpose allowing ladders and the movement of workers down into the shaft.

More important was that these platforms distributed the weight of the back fill, preventing natural settlement from triggering the airlock at the eighth level and prematurely setting off the water trap.

The wooden remnants were probably removed and burnt as firewood.

The early Discovers were not Archaeologist and were not very careful in preserving history as much as keeping warm.

It would be like trying to find the old chucked wooden platforms at the Comstock Mine, Nevada (cerca 1850`s) to prove that it once existed.

Old things not of use were destroyed back then by using them the best they could.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions